M23 1.5 Thread Chaser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi ONSC crowd. I know this is a bold request from a relatively new guy who does't come to the monthly meetings, but does anyone have or know where to source an M23 1.5 thread chaser or tap/die? I'm installing a Marlin High Steer kit and the TRE threads are a little boogered. I would like to chase/clean them, but this seems to be an odd size. The kit is not installed yet, so I can travel to you if that makes a difference.

Appreciate any help or advice.

You sure you got that size right? McMaster-Carr doesn't list that size, which usually means it doesn't exist:

Yeah. I called YotaMasters who sold me the kit and they gave me that size. Also, they're FJ80 TREs, which seem to be that same size (saw a couple of posts confirming in the 80 forum). The YotaMasters guys kindly said, "good luck finding that size chaser; maybe look for a tap and die"

Search on mcmaster. There's a lot of different types of taps, I just linked the most general one.

Other than that, call them and see where they got it.

Failing all that, google is your friend.

I think I found one on ebay. ...so if anybody needs one, I now (or will soon) have one. Appreciate the quick reply, Johnny.

A redneck trick and one I used on head bolts for F and 2f blocks...take known good bolt / tre and cut three grooves into the threads. While this won't repair the threads per se it will clean them out.

A redneck trick and one I used on head bolts for F and 2f blocks...take known good bolt / tre and cut three grooves into the threads. While this won't repair the threads per se it will clean them out.

Have done this with TREs many times, and other bolts.

Flood it with WD40, or penetrol or brake clean etc while you work the ground bolt in/out
Drag links etc get pretty crusty so you might need to remove and clean your chaser part way

Head bolt I ground recently with 2.5mm zip disc. You want a sharp shoulder on the leading edge of the threads.
1 groove is sufficient
PXL_20230311_023412448.jpg
PXL_20230311_023427266.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom