This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I’d come on over and introduce myself. I’m Dwight , just moved to NC from Westminster, CO and bought a house in Angier. Been here for about 3 days now.
Little about my 80..I’ve had it for 7 years and bought it stock at 214k miles. Couple highlights are the 35’s, Slee short bus, Slee belly skid, icon 3” lift, front sway bar disconnects.

So far I’ve done one trip in it to Moab, wheeled it all over CO, and a little around where I grew up New England.

Last pic is on the little tires so I didn’t burn up the MTs towing a trailer from CO.

Anyways 🍻
MOAB-22»-7Mile_300_3477_Original.jpeg
MOAB-22»-7Mile_750_9485_Original.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg

Welcome!!

Welcome

Thanks for the love all. Curious, is there a fair amount of wheeling on private, club invite only land here, class 6 roads? Or just pretty much what you see on trails Offroad?

No ONSC owned private land in NC. Uwharrie is the only wheeling park in NC. Class 6 roads exist around max patch in pisgah and martha sundquist forests out around asheville.

Welcome!

There is a privately owned 4wd "park" in Boone. It's owned and run by a retired law enforcement officer. A little far for you to travel, I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Welcome!

Thanks for the love all. Curious, is there a fair amount of wheeling on private, club invite only land here, class 6 roads? Or just pretty much what you see on trails Offroad?
There a number of places in NC, Uwharrie and Brown Mountain are Federal land owned trail systems,. Then there are private land trails such as Grand Overland District, Big Creek, Patriot Mountain Off road park, and nearby in SC Gulches is a little more extreme. Depends where you are in NC (its a long assed state, longer than FL) there might be other places too. The Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps typically work well and are up to date so you can stay on open roads that range from gravel forest drives to goat trails.

5 classes.
So class 6 would be the mall? :lol:
My reference to class 6 trails is in regards to New England. Basically, unmaintained roads that they keep on the maps and open as a road so they get increased federal funding. They can get pretty gnarly. Old Florida road in MA is one of them for example.

My reference to class 6 trails is in regards to New England. Basically, unmaintained roads that they keep on the maps and open as a road so they get increased federal funding. They can get pretty gnarly. Old Florida road in MA is one of them for example.
Ah…not here. The Forest service is like BLM, they rate roads based on maintenance, lower numbers = less maintenance. In Vermont the class 4 are the unmaintained ones, I have maps of those from the Vermont Trophy. But towns and counties can change designations in the NE, and they don’t have a standard.

I was a town engineer for a small town in NY, that’s my memory, but also that was 35 years ago….

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I was curious. I've seen reference to Class 4 lots.

In some states here in Australia, 4x4 club/association rate trails in conjunction with National Parks & Wildlife Service.

They use similar ratings, but use ski slope ratings like Green Spot - Easy, SUV, Blue Square- intermediate, 4x4, Black Diamond - difficult, requires raised suspension, all terrain tires etc, Double Black - requires raised suspension, aggressive tires, winch, self recovery capability etc

Welcome!!

The good new is you found the best cruiser club on the planet.

The not so good news, coming from CO, is there is a tiny fraction of places to wheel in NC compared to CO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom