Converting a U.S. Spec 80 to Manual Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as shift levers being too close to the dash, that is simply solved with a cutoff wheel and a welder.

Do these 5 speed equipped 80 series have
- clutch start cancel button on the dash?
- cant start in gear ability?

Just curious if the TCU takes care of the above items.
As OGBeno said, no. My 80 has absolutely zero electronic control of anything to do with gearbox or transfer. It is 100 percent mechanical control. And that's how I like it. If I need 4wd, I stop, engage the hubs, select 4H or 4L, take a little bit of power to make sure it's all engaged, and drive. To get out of 4wd I stop, dis-engage hubs, de-select back into 2H mode, power a little to make sure the light goes out, and Bob's your uncle. :cool:

With a manual gearbox, why would you want to start in gear? Occasionally I forget to take it out of gear to start - can be embarassing if I 'bump start' into another parked vehicle. :cool: Parking in gear is very important as a safety adjunct to the known issue of 80 series HB deficiency, and even since I got the HB in mine to work in Dec last year I still park in gear (with front wheels turned in and gbox in reverse if facing downhill, or 1st gear if facing uphill).

One of the 'default' things any manual gearbox vehicle owner does is check the gearbox is in neutral before starting (unless one has a brain fart and forgets!).

To date, I've never needed to clutch-start. Being a 1hz diesel, clutch start won't work if the battery is dead as the fuel solenoid on the injector pump won't have any power so trying a push or roll start is pointless. The motor may fire on compression of residual diesel but unless the alt begins to work straight away no power will reach the solenoid in time.

With a manual gearbox, why would you want to start in gear?

Back in the day, when everyone couldn't afford a winch, starting in gear was a way to move the vehicle when the engine failed to start. Say you were in the middle of a water crossing and the vehicle failed to restart after stalling. Then you could engage the starter while in gear to use the starter motor to 'drive' the vehicle to dry ground. Not the best scenario, but better than sitting in the middle of the creek.

Back in the day, when everyone couldn't afford a winch, starting in gear was a way to move the vehicle when the engine failed to start. Say you were in the middle of a water crossing and the vehicle failed to restart after stalling. Then you could engage the starter while in gear to use the starter motor to 'drive' the vehicle to dry ground. Not the best scenario, but better than sitting in the middle of the creek.
This is occurring right now, in 2023 😁. A popular way to get over an obstacle after you have stalled the engine at the most inopportune time.

This is occurring right now, in 2023 😁. A popular way to get over an obstacle after you have stalled the engine at the most inopportune time.

Well, I'm sure it is, but not near as much as back in the day. Definitely handy if you don't want to take a swim to pull your winch cable out.

Last edited:
It's amazing (and frustrating) how different countries get different specs on vehicles. I think they (whoever makes these calls) made a bad decision when they decided to only offer 80's with auto's here in the U.S. I think the manual would have been very popular. Unfortunately, I think they were initially marketing the 80 mostly to soccer mom's here in the States. I really envy you guys in Australia where the most common 80's were diesels with manuals. Seems like that happens on a lot of vehicles. As an example, we can't get the Hilux here in the States. Some people would argue that the Tacoma is better, but I disagree. The Tacoma might have more creature comforts, but the Hilux wins out in Ruggedness. The Hilux is also offered with the diesel, of course. Sometimes I hate living in the U.S.
Iffen you don't like living in the United States, just move to a foreign country.
Like Arkansas.

And Toyota will probably follow Nissan/Mitsubishi/Peugeot aka PSA and look to 'dump' diesels once they subscribe to the Cult of Electric Jesus club and seek to make diesel look 'bogan' compared to petrol (and eventually EV) as Nissan has done with the Pootrol. At least Toyota still sells the 79 series with manual gearbox (h152f) and diesel. I bet the 300 series LC doesn't get offered with a manual gearbox (and neither did the 200 either I think). At least the 200's really did have both a barn door and a tailgate version.

What we buy is also a function of what they offer us. For instance, in 2022 there were zero new Toyota Diesel sales in the U.S. That's because there were zero offered for sale.
Toyota hasn't sold a diesel vehicle in the United States since 1985. We American buyers told them pass....

It's easy for us 2nd, 3rd or 4th owners to complain that we never got the "cool" 80s. But think of the demographic in America that could afford to buy a new 80 series off the lot 25+ years ago. That's what Toyota was thinking about. Toyota doesn't have a fetish for punishing American buyers by not offering options. They do their diligence, and make a business decision on what to offer a particular market.

V8 and NV4500 is a great combo in an 80. We did an LS3 with NV in a 60 last year. Super fun to drive.

It will be real close in an 80 NV shifter to the dash. The NV is a short trans. I am sure some guys with 6BTs or 4BTs have done it but the v8 does have to sit a little farther forward than an in-line engine due to heads on the firewall. We like to have an inch or more between the heads and the firewall. Two finger width is great. We also heavily take into consideration trans shifter location.

A 1” body lift on an 80 helps a lot with swaps, for exhaust clearance in particular.

We pretty much do the same as NCFJ says, we put the power train where we like it and build from there. Most swaps kits put the engine to far forward in my opinion. We are also fans of mechanical fans on v8 swaps vs electric.

Cheers
Lately, I've been enamored about an ls3 or some flavor of 4th gen vortec 6.0 with an h152f. Someday.

This is my dream drivetrain -

No BS DOD/AFM nonsense. Factory tuned at 400+ hp and 464 ft lbs torque on 87 grade pump gas.

I love the NV4500 in my bumpside ford, but want something more polished for the 80. They also make a shift relocation kit to pull it back 5 inches.

Mated all up to the factory transfer case.

I can't imagine an 80 series being more fun than that.

In an alternate universe where some curly haired punk in the Bahamas hasn't effed my tech portfolio, I'm calling SNLC to make it happen.

Here in reality I can still probably make it happen, put I'll need to space out the drive line purchases over a year or two, then spend the next 2 years night and weekending it.

With my limited knowledge and lack of research, I was always a little unsure with the ECU swap neccasary for running the 5 speed how it would deal with a supercharger. After all it is a OBD1 ECU.

Come to find out it does indeed work! For your viewing please here is a supercharged and manual swapped LX450 I came across while scrolling Bring a Trailer.

It looks awfuly good with that Delta console. I wish they would add a driving video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom