Stripped transmission pan bolt 95 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon,

So this morning upon finishing up a full transmission flush with a drop of the pan to replace the filter and check on the status of things (new to me rig - 242k), the last pan bolt I put in upon reinstalling the pan seems to of stripped. The M6x1.0 bolt threads fully in, but never tightens, just keeps spinning. Seems the threads in the aluminum trans are toasted? I need recommendations on the best way to go about a repair here? Time-sert? Bore out to a bigger bolt? Thanks for the help!
-Nick

Helicoil for the win.

You could just try a tap chasing the threads and it might clean up the top. Easy win if it works if not helicoil.

You could just try a tap chasing the threads and it might clean up the top. Easy win if it works if not helicoil.
Oh ok good idea - I'll try that first. I'm new to helicoils; they would hold up for repeated use if I drop the pan again down the road?

Yes, they are stronger than the basic thread and considered a perminant repaire.

Oh ok good idea - I'll try that first. I'm new to helicoils; they would hold up for repeated use if I drop the pan again down the road?
Don’t worry, your threads will be stronger with an helicoil then before. Your non-helicoil threads will strip before your repaired one.

Yes, they are stronger than the basic thread and considered a perminant repaire.
I used helicoils a lot when i machined aviation parts, but in my case i much prefer the use of E Z LOC thread inserts over helicoils, In the case of the OP transmission pan i would use a E Z LOC insert, They are easy to install, and are easy to remove and replaced if the threads get damaged, They can be ordered in both carbon steel and stainless steel,
1711416341789.jpeg

1711416225796.jpeg

I used helicoils a lot when i machined aviation parts, but in my case i much prefer the use of E Z LOC thread inserts over helicoils, In the case of the OP transmission pan i would use a E Z LOC insert, They are easy to install, and are easy to remove and replaced if the threads get damaged, They can be ordered in both carbon steel and stainless steel,
View attachment 3591279

View attachment 3591278
@Rifleman thanks for weighing in here. In my instance, which material would you go for? I'll check these out!

Helicoils if done right are fine.

I repaired the rear cyl spark plug thread on my Harley with one about 7 years ago and its been fine ever since

@Rifleman thanks for weighing in here. In my instance, which material would you go for? I'll check these out!
I'd go with the stainless steel ones they won't rust
Helicoils if done right are fine.

I repaired the rear cyl spark plug thread on my Harley with one about 7 years ago and its been fine ever since
The thing i don't care for with Helicoils, to install them they require a special oversized tap to cut new threads for the helicoil insert that can't be used for anything else, Next they need a special installation tool, Now granted those items all come as part of the kit that you have to buy in order to install your helicoil, In the case of the E Z LOC no special tool is needed to install it, and the tap you use to thread the hole for the E Z LOC insert is a regular SAE or Metric tap,

I'd go with the stainless steel ones they won't rust

The thing i don't care for with Helicoils, to install them they require a special oversized tap to cut new threads for the helicoil insert that can't be used for anything else, Next they need a special installation tool, Now granted those items all come as part of the kit that you have to buy in order to install your helicoil, In the case of the E Z LOC no special tool is needed to install it, and the tap you use to thread the hole for the E Z LOC insert is a regular SAE or Metric tap,
yeah, good point but I was in a bind at the time with a few days off work to go for a multi day ride and was changing all the fluids on the Harley and checked the plugs but when taking out the rear one it came with aluminium threads attached to the spark plug itself..... I went to Bunnings (Aussie ver of Home Depot) and that evening took apart the cyl head and drilled, tapped and put the helicoil in and reassembled with the intention of doing it properly in due course. That was in 2017 and its still fine. Needless to say I have never taken my Harley to the dealer for a service since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom