Converting a U.S. Spec 80 to Manual Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sooo, you don't even have an 80 yet? Hmmmm, As was mentioned before, get one that was manual, factory built. Since you're in still the looking mode, make the manual tranny a must on your list of features for your prize 80. The energy spent IMHO, would be much for efficient and realistic, unless you have masochistic tendencies (not in the sexual sense, but in the general sense).

Truly, I hear you, though. I think the biggest, if not the only regret of my '94, is the auto tranny. And it works flawlessly - for an auto - actually the best auto of any auto truck or SUV I've owned. I prefer a manual, I guess because that's what I started with and enjoy their performance compared with autos. But, as you know, U.S. spec 80's were exclusively autos and after driving my other manual rigs and jump into the 80, start driving it, getting back into the 'auto mode', I'm fine for a while until coming up to a light or stop sign and find myself grabbing the shifter while trying to mash the dead pedal though the firewall o_O . Ya just have to keep that sense of humor - it's critical :rolleyes:. One day, I'd like to drive a manual 1FZ 80, though!

You make good points. The A343F ain't a sexy biotch behind a NA 1FZ-FE. However, I drove my friend's 2000 100 series with this tranny and it shifts on point and doesn't pisss you off. That extra power from the 4.7 really makes this tranny behave normally.

Before I turbo'ed my engine, the A343F just pissed me off, large gap between 2 & 3, cruise control doesn't behave right, etc. When I added the 100+ at the rear wheels, this tranny is shifting back on point again. I'm in love with my slushbox again but it's a temp fling 'cause now I wanna switch to a H151F. :bang: I just want to be a more active driver, and a little more efficiency wouldn't hurt either.

Manual was std in Aus you paid extra for auto. Mine was a 4.5 manual / H151F and 9 years since doing a 6.0LS swap the H151 is doing just fine. Not a race box but its handles everything the 6.0 can throw at it. Find a manual rig and enjoy I'd not want to swap an auto lotsa work especially if the parts don't fall from tress like they do here.
To me, 6.0 and manual is how they should have made them from factory. Mechanially simpler than a 4.5, more paower, better fuel economy and you can strut at 1,000 or 6,000+rpm.

It's amazing (and frustrating) how different countries get different specs on vehicles. I think they (whoever makes these calls) made a bad decision when they decided to only offer 80's with auto's here in the U.S. I think the manual would have been very popular. Unfortunately, I think they were initially marketing the 80 mostly to soccer mom's here in the States. I really envy you guys in Australia where the most common 80's were diesels with manuals. Seems like that happens on a lot of vehicles. As an example, we can't get the Hilux here in the States. Some people would argue that the Tacoma is better, but I disagree. The Tacoma might have more creature comforts, but the Hilux wins out in Ruggedness. The Hilux is also offered with the diesel, of course. Sometimes I hate living in the U.S.

I don't mind the money so much, but the process looks like a PITA.
It's amazing (and frustrating) how different countries get different specs on vehicles. I think they (whoever makes these calls) made a bad decision when they decided to only offer 80's with auto's here in the U.S. I think the manual would have been very popular. Unfortunately, I think they were initially marketing the 80 mostly to soccer mom's here in the States. I really envy you guys in Australia where the most common 80's were diesels with manuals. Seems like that happens on a lot of vehicles. As an example, we can't get the Hilux here in the States. Some people would argue that the Tacoma is better, but I disagree. The Tacoma might have more creature comforts, but the Hilux wins out in Ruggedness. The Hilux is also offered with the diesel, of course. Sometimes I hate living in the U.S.

I’m sure you have no idea about how the OEM automotive world operates.

I’m sure you have no idea about how the OEM automotive world operates.

You're right. I don't know everything. I never claimed to. Sorry I don't live up to your standards.

Last edited:
Having swapped the A440 for an NV4500, (the 6BT was bolted onto the stock auto with an upgraded torque converter initially)
I’d say the job wasn’t that bad. Used a clutch pedal assembly from a BJ60.

That trans is built to handle the diesel but maybe not my first pick doing it again

Having swapped the A440 for an NV4500, (the 6BT was bolted onto the stock auto with an upgraded torque converter initially)
I’d say the job wasn’t that bad. Used a clutch pedal assembly from a BJ60.

That trans is built to handle the diesel but maybe not my first pick doing it again

Yeah, the NV4500 is definitely up to the task. I think they're good transmissions. On something like this, I would probably like to stay Toyota if I could.

There are plenty of h150f and h151f 5-speed manual gearboxes here in Oz as they're the ones used in 80's here. Auto gearbox 80's are the less common version here. A place like allfourx4 spares would have good tap on supply of them.

Heaps of options for clutch kits - you can go genuine or aftermarket. I don't know if the auto boxes and manual boxes are the same length so you might need different tailshafts.

Do firewalls for US 80's not have a removable plate where a clutch master cylinder should mount? I'm presuming LHD specific clutch pedal assemblies exist.

I've not actually looked closely at an auto gearbox 80 to know in detail what the differences are other than the obvious things.

There are plenty of h150f and h151f 5-speed manual gearboxes here in Oz as they're the ones used in 80's here. Auto gearbox 80's are the less common version here. A place like allfourx4 spares would have good tap on supply of them.

Heaps of options for clutch kits - you can go genuine or aftermarket. I don't know if the auto boxes and manual boxes are the same length so you might need different tailshafts.

Do firewalls for US 80's not have a removable plate where a clutch master cylinder should mount? I'm presuming LHD specific clutch pedal assemblies exist.

I've not actually looked closely at an auto gearbox 80 to know in detail what the differences are other than the obvious things.

Yes, there is a difference in transmission length between the auto and the H151. I think both driveshaft would need to be altered. I don't think the U.S. spec 80's have a removable plate on the firewall. I've just seen other people measure and drill holes accordingly to mount.

You're right. I don't know everything. I never claimed to. Sorry I don't live up to your standards.

You misunderstood me; or, I misunderstood you. Possible. I was not trying to be an a****** (I’m generally regarded as such). I was just saying that the vehicle is merely the proverbial tip of over 5000 decisions…. People making calls.

Your frustration should be aimed towards people in the automotive industry called “product planners”: they are literally the ones who develop the theoretical models that structure what any market receives.

What I was saying is that when anyone thinks of the Toyota Land Cruiser, the appliance always has to be seen in a global context; it’s not a stagnant item for just one place.

The perfection of the Land Cruiser has always been because it can be everything to everyone.

What I’m saying is that your frustration is merely a by product of your own cultural position; the Land Cruiser really is a relativist/localized pragmatist at heart.

You misunderstood me; or, I misunderstood you. Possible. I was not trying to be an a****** (I’m generally regarded as such). I was just saying that the vehicle is merely the proverbial tip of over 5000 decisions…. People making calls.

Your frustration should be aimed towards people in the automotive industry called “product planners”: they are literally the ones who develop the theoretical models that structure what any market receives.

What I was saying is that when anyone thinks of the Toyota Land Cruiser, the appliance always has to be seen in a global context; it’s not a stagnant item for just one place.

The perfection of the Land Cruiser has always been because it can be everything to everyone.

What I’m saying is that your frustration is merely a by product of your own cultural position; the Land Cruiser really is a relativist/localized pragmatist at heart.

Sorry to jump to conclusions, but I really thought you were just trying to be a******. I do appreciate the explanation, though. Like you said (and yes, you were right), I know very little about how all of that works. It seems like no matter what I'm messing with, I can never get what I'm wanting. (not by merely going out and buying it, anyway) I'm always having to convert, alter, or import something to get what I want. Every time I go to Japan or the Philippines, (or a few other places) I am always drooling over their diesel hilux's and land cruisers. (among other things 😉)

I know there is FAR more at play than what I envision, but I wish I could have plead my case to some of these "product planners" (like they would listen to me...lol) I'm still envious of all the cool vehicles the Aussies get.

Last edited:
As cool as a manual would be in the 80 it's definitely not a deal breaker or worth converting IMHO.

With enough time and money anything is possible....
I go back and forth between wanting one or the other.

The 5 speed is nice for idleing up over and down sections of a trail. But I also trust putting an auto in P (park) on a slope more than my e-brake and oversized tires.

The comparatively short rpm band of a diesel shows how often your shift when building speed. Having an auto would make short hill climbs where you need to quickly build speed easier in many ways. A daily driver that sees some congested city traffic, the auto is a win. Idling on back roads during hunting season, I don't mind the manual.

I go back and forth between wanting one or the other.

The 5 speed is nice for idleing up over and down sections of a trail. But I also trust putting an auto in P (park) on a slope more than my e-brake and oversized tires.

The comparatively short rpm band of a diesel shows how often your shift when building speed. Having an auto would make short hill climbs where you need to quickly build speed easier in many ways. A daily driver that sees some congested city traffic, the auto is a win. Idling on back roads during hunting season, I don't mind the manual.

they both have their pros and cons. I just think there’s a coolness factor to the manual shift. I also feel more connected to the vehicle with a manual shift.

Coolness isn't how I'd describe our automotive market. We have had zero onshore manufacturing by any vehicle maker since 2017 when (ironically) Toyota closed up shop here. We lost Mitsi in 2008, and in 2016/17 the other three (Ford, GM Holden, and Toyota) all left.

Australia as a target market is very different to the USA. Prime reason being we have 1/10th the population of mainland USA in the basically the same landmass, and the distribution of population is also very different. Plus Aussie climate is very different (ie. no such thing as a 'harsh winter' until the magnetic poles shift again), and we're a RHD country not LHD.

I would very much like to have access to the 'management meeting minutes', etc that a company like toyota uses to decide what vehicle configurations will be optioned for each of it's main target markets since then I might get insight into why Australia primarily got manual transmission diesel 80's and auto gbox petrol LX450's were only an afterthought because Lexus had been established by Toyota for it's passenger car elite brand stream. The same sort of applies with the 100/105 series as LX470's are extremely rare here.

That said, there are plenty of petrol engine 80's here (not just Lexus badged) around. There are also heaps of tailgate (not barn door) 80's, but barn door ones are far more common that the USA. I have no figures, but based on what I see on the road it's roughly 50/50 tailgate vs barn door bodies.

Back to manual gboxes.... h150f and h151f are the two that 80's got here. I think the proportion of auto gbox 80's to manual ones here is probably 1:3 roughly. As for engines, I'd guestimate the same proportioning is about right - far more diesel 80's here than petrol ones.

What is a 'manual transmission ECU' pray tell? Or is that the thing that's specific to manual gearbox 80's with electronic CDL (which my 80 doesn't have)? I have a 1hz motor with h150f gearbox and hf1a factory part-time transfer case (no electronics to the gearbox or the transfer except wire for reverse light and '4wd' mode light).

What is a 'manual transmission ECU' pray tell? Or is that the thing that's specific to manual gearbox 80's with electronic CDL (which my 80 doesn't have)? I have a 1hz motor with h150f gearbox and hf1a factory part-time transfer case (no electronics to the gearbox or the transfer except wire for reverse light and '4wd' mode light).

Do these 5 speed equipped 80 series have
- clutch start cancel button on the dash?
- cant start in gear ability?

Just curious if the TCU takes care of the above items.

In case you wanted to see what all the parts look like..
20210623_115938.jpg

20210630_122211.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom