Converting a U.S. Spec 80 to Manual Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm just going to throw this out there, lord knows I am bias :)

Some flavor of LS with a Tremec 4050 5 speed to a 60 series split case.

I built a 60 on 80 roller with 6.0L Tremec 4050 and a split case. Hands down my favorite truck to drive and I have driven a few.

Will not be the cheapest route, but it will be the most fun!

I built a 60 on 80 roller with 6.0L Tremec 4050 and a split case. Hands down my favorite truck to drive and I have driven a few.

I’m definitely not a GM guy. I’m 100% Toyota.

It's amazing (and frustrating) how different countries get different specs on vehicles. I think they (whoever makes these calls) made a bad decision when they decided to only offer 80's with auto's here in the U.S. I think the manual would have been very popular. Unfortunately, I think they were initially marketing the 80 mostly to soccer mom's here in the States. I really envy you guys in Australia where the most common 80's were diesels with manuals. Seems like that happens on a lot of vehicles. As an example, we can't get the Hilux here in the States. Some people would argue that the Tacoma is better, but I disagree. The Tacoma might have more creature comforts, but the Hilux wins out in Ruggedness. The Hilux is also offered with the diesel, of course. Sometimes I hate living in the U.S.
I could be wrong here, and I'd welcome any corrections from the experts, but I believe the reasoning for us not getting that option had to do with the import taxes in this country. This so-called "chicken tax" meant it was only economically viable to bring the 80 series here in its top-spec form: the equivalent of the VX Sahara trim overseas. To my knowledge, the Sahara models were only offered with automatics since they were meant to be luxurious and easy to drive for well-heeled buyers.

Anyway, I had mixed feelings about the A343 in my truck. On the one hand, they're very sturdy; you hardly hear a peep about them having issues here on the forum or elsewhere. In some situations, like steep technical climbs, they're also more user-friendly and forgiving than a manual on a heavy vehicle like the FZJ80. On the other hand, it is still a very antiquated design by modern standards, and makes the Cruiser more sluggish and inefficient compared to an equipped 80 series. I also found it left a lot to be desired on the trail: its shift patterns felt awkward in 4lo, almost like it was slipping. Engine compression was also subpar for steep descents.

However, I have also heard reduction gears are good to have in a manual 80 series, since the stock crawl ratios are not that great from the factory.

I could be wrong here, and I'd welcome any corrections from the experts, but I believe the reasoning for us not getting that option had to do with the import taxes in this country. This so-called "chicken tax" meant it was only economically viable to bring the 80 series here in its top-spec form: the equivalent of the VX Sahara trim overseas. To my knowledge, the Sahara models were only offered with automatics since they were meant to be luxurious and easy to drive for well-heeled buyers.

Anyway, I had mixed feelings about the A343 in my truck. On the one hand, they're very sturdy; you hardly hear a peep about them having issues here on the forum or elsewhere. In some situations, like steep technical climbs, they're also more user-friendly and forgiving than a manual on a heavy vehicle like the FZJ80. On the other hand, it is still a very antiquated design by modern standards, and makes the Cruiser more sluggish and inefficient compared to an equipped 80 series. I also found it left a lot to be desired on the trail: its shift patterns felt awkward in 4lo, almost like it was slipping. Engine compression was also subpar for steep descents.

However, I have also heard reduction gears are good to have in a manual 80 series, since the stock crawl ratios are not that great from the factory.

I’m not sure. You could be right. However, they do offer manuals in the VX model overseas.

I’m not sure. You could be right. However, they do offer manuals in the VX model overseas.
I think the Sahara is the more luxurious version of the VX, at least in Australia. AFAIK, they only came with autos, as per the source below.

Okay, I used the search option, but could not find anything on this. Does anyone know how easy (or difficult) it would be to convert a U.S. spec 80 to a manual transmission? What manual transmissions are best suited for this swap?

I am late to the party but answering your first question, I would say converting a 1fz to manual h151f is easy if you can just open your wallet and make it happen. Considering there were factory manual options in other markets. It can be done almost bolt in if you have the time to track down the right parts. Not necessarily cheap but I suppose that depends on what h you view as cheap.

Thanks for the info. I would probably still be interested if I could keep the parts below $5k. On the 24th of this month, I'm heading halfway across the country to look at a LHD 80 with factory 1HDT and Manual Trans. I'll double-dip on the trip by visiting family while we're there.

Would a H155F and split transfer case work in an FJ80 since they are available in the US?
I am sure an adapter would be needed for the engine.

Last edited:

I'm in the planning research phase of my 80 V8 swap and this setup resonates with me more than anything.

I think I understand folks struggle clearing the trans tunnel with the nv4500 in an 80- but perhaps that issue is largely because they're always behind a Cummins?

What's your thoughts here for this setup on an 80?

Body lift is a deal breaker - I'd rather run an auto.
Any guess if the shifter placement would be decent?

For years the overwhelming majority of US buyers have wanted automatic transmissions. There are fewer and fewer manuals every year. In addition a manual transmission car isn't going to sell if the prospect can't operate it. Anybody can operate an automatic. That's the market.

I really can not answer your questions regarding the 80 tunnel. I have only put manuals in 60 series and on 60 body on 80 roller set up.

I look at swaps from a different perspective than most I think. I do not mind fabricating motor mounts and cross members nor do I mind modifying the tunnel to accommodate a trans.

What I do mind is setting my drive line position so drive shafts do not need modification, or so the stock isolator position on the cross member works etc. Pounding the hell out of the fire wall so any of this still works is also out of the question. A swap is a major job with a great many sub sections to it. I will set the drive line where I want it and build out what is required to support it.

For years the overwhelming majority of US buyers have wanted automatic transmissions. There are fewer and fewer manuals every year. In addition a manual transmission car isn't going to sell if the prospect can't operate it. Anybody can operate an automatic. That's the market.

Right on point. I Have one vehicle slowly being built in the shop and another waiting in the wings, both spec vehicles that will go to sale. I'd love to put a manual in both but that would severely limit my prospective customer base. Keep that in mind when putting a manual in any vehicle that has an auto in it. I know, you are keeping it for life :) I've sold quite a few vehicles that I was keeping for life. Life is a long time to have any one vehicle.

I really can not answer your questions regarding the 80 tunnel. I have only put manuals in 60 series and on 60 body on 80 roller set up.

I look at swaps from a different perspective than most I think. I do not mind fabricating motor mounts and cross members nor do I mind modifying the tunnel to accommodate a trans.

What I do mind is setting my drive line position so drive shafts do not need modification, or so the stock isolator position on the cross member works etc. Pounding the hell out of the fire wall so any of this still works is also out of the question. A swap is a major job with a great many sub sections to it. I will set the drive line where I want it and build out what is required to support it.
I feel ya man. Wouldn't be my first engine swap and I'm no stranger to a welder. My 80 is near and dear to me, however, so I'm trying to keep this build less invasive than some previous projects.

I agree 100%! It goes along with the trends I've seen in 4x4 drive trains. In the 80 series, for example, 1st they removed the CDL switch with the intro of the 1FZ. E-lockers were limited (unless modified) to the sequence provided by the "magic dial". Since then, in the 4x4 world, what have they come out with? Traction control! Not only for Land Cruisers but for almost every model. IMHO, it takes the fun and challenges away from being off road. You got microprocessors doing all the work and making all the decisions for you! Might as well be driving to the mall!:rolleyes:

I'm in the planning research phase of my 80 V8 swap and this setup resonates with me more than anything.

I think I understand folks struggle clearing the trans tunnel with the nv4500 in an 80- but perhaps that issue is largely because they're always behind a Cummins?

What's your thoughts here for this setup on an 80?

Body lift is a deal breaker - I'd rather run an auto.
Any guess if the shifter placement would be decent?
I drove an 80 with a 6bt and nv4500. Biases aside, that tranny didn't impress me with its ratios for street driving. The novelty of driving the high elevation passes with this badass engine quickly wore off due to the gear ratio of the transmission, awful clatter and the fumigation of the eco system. 😏

V8 and NV4500 is a great combo in an 80. We did an LS3 with NV in a 60 last year. Super fun to drive.

It will be real close in an 80 NV shifter to the dash. The NV is a short trans. I am sure some guys with 6BTs or 4BTs have done it but the v8 does have to sit a little farther forward than an in-line engine due to heads on the firewall. We like to have an inch or more between the heads and the firewall. Two finger width is great. We also heavily take into consideration trans shifter location.

A 1” body lift on an 80 helps a lot with swaps, for exhaust clearance in particular.

We pretty much do the same as NCFJ says, we put the power train where we like it and build from there. Most swaps kits put the engine to far forward in my opinion. We are also fans of mechanical fans on v8 swaps vs electric.

Cheers

V8 and NV4500 is a great combo in an 80. We did an LS3 with NV in a 60 last year. Super fun to drive.

It will be real close in an 80 NV shifter to the dash. The NV is a short trans. I am sure some guys with 6BTs or 4BTs have done it but the v8 does have to sit a little farther forward than an in-line engine due to heads on the firewall. We like to have an inch or more between the heads and the firewall. Two finger width is great. We also heavily take into consideration trans shifter location.

A 1” body lift on an 80 helps a lot with swaps, for exhaust clearance in particular.

We pretty much do the same as NCFJ says, we put the power train where we like it and build from there. Most swaps kits put the engine to far forward in my opinion. We are also fans of mechanical fans on v8 swaps vs electric.

Cheers
Thanks for the solid Intel 🍻

I drove an 80 with a 6bt and nv4500. Biases aside, that tranny didn't impress me with its ratios for street driving. The novelty of driving the high elevation passes with this badass engine quickly wore off due to the gear ratio of the transmission, awful clatter and the fumigation of the eco system. 😏

So if I had a choice between a 6BT/NV4500 or Turbo 1FZ Automatic I wouldn’t hesitate to go with Cummins again. For real though it would keep the mosquitoes away from the trail for half a mile or so.🤣. I think the 6BT/ NV4500 on the trail is awesome!! However other people on the trail remind me how obnoxious it is to fallow due to the raw diesel smell, my wife didn’t like the smell either. It did get 20 plus MPH though. I didn’t think the noise was really that bad but that weird fuel issue I had was annoying.

I am in the process of building a 2uz/H151 to replace that previous 80. It has already cost me more than 5k to do the swap. I am doing a motor swap though, so it is going to cost more than just a manual swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom