Charcoal Canister Vacuum Line to ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took what I thought was pretty good pics of how things were prior to disassembling everything. Apparently, I didn't get good pics of where this vacuum line went. This is on a 1973 FJ40. I have narrowed this down to going to the charcoal cannister on the passenger side. From the other pics that I have seen online it looks like it goes down the firewall... but to where? Thanks in advance.

DSC00013.jpg

20231119_144818.jpg

That's a 1973? It doesn't look like a 1973...
Traditionally, one of the hoses on a charcoal can would come from the fuel tank and one would go to get burned.
No, that is a pic I found online. Got a '73, but has a 77 engine, tyranny amd tcase

Doesn't help this time, but next time use a roll of 1" wide painter's tape and a sharpie marker. Wrap the tape around both sides of every thing you take apart. Mark A-A, B-B, 1-1, 2-2 etc on both pieces of tape. The cheap ziploc sandwich bags are great for small parts like bolts, nuts, washer, clips - just write on the bag what they are for and tape the bag to the unit they fit.

Presentation1.jpg

sorry for the ugly picture..

but it also depends on the canister...
one has two ports at the top one at the bottom.... another all 3 ports at the top...
s-l1600a.jpeg
77740-60014-U.jpeg

Last edited:
First off - everything about that truck says 1979, not 1973.

If going by that picture, here is the routing of the evaporative system. It is quite simple to setup, just verify the ports when installed are routed correctly then confirm the VCV, outver vent control valve and charcoal canister are functioning as designed.

1700442802487.png

We have got the line that is in Yellow already hooked up. Their is a smaller metal vacuum tube that goes down the firewall.
If you connect two one to VCV one to gas tank .. third one should be open for air? Vacuum will be at VCV ..probably this small vacuum tube end under the firewall

First off - everything about that truck says 1979, not 1973.

If going by that picture, here is the routing of the evaporative system. It is quite simple to setup, just verify the ports when installed are routed correctly then confirm the VCV, outver vent control valve and charcoal canister are functioning as designed.

View attachment 3486367
It is a '73, but the prior owner dropped in a 77 engine, tyranny amd tcase

Is the engine bay picture not yours? I’m assuming not because that engine bay is a 79 in picture, just want to make sure we are talking the right engine parts.

There is a grommet in the underside of the tub above the running board brace that the open end of the tube goes into. Not a brilliant solution. In fact, not even a good one.

The image of the location was burned into my mind about 30 years ago when I was helping a local with a mysterious fuel leak issue. The heat from his V8 dual exhaust was causing the fuel tank and evap system to pressurize, and the overwhelmed canister was dumping fuel from that line onto his passenger side exhaust pipe!😱😱😱

I have thought about this many times over the years, wondering why Toyota ever considered this an acceptable ‘solution’ . The only conclusion that I ever came to was that the ‘exit’ from the canister wasn’t high enough to guarantee that the condensed fuel could be siphoned back into the in-cab fuel tank. This problem was resolved in 1979 with the move to an under-tub tank, a higher mounted canister, and a sharp 90 degree elbow on the exit of the canister.

All of which is to say that if you want a ’real’ solution rather than just sticking the tube in the hole I indicated, you are going to have to do some fabrication.

To all who find this information useful, please take a moment to hit the like button.

Is the engine bay picture not yours? I’m assuming not because that engine bay is a 79 in picture, just want to make sure we are talking the right engine parts.
no it is not mine. found a picture with the line coming out of the top of the charcoal canister, and used it for reference

There is a grommet in the underside of the tub above the running board brace that the open end of the tube goes into. Not a brilliant solution. In fact, not even a good one.

The image of the location was burned into my mind about 30 years ago when I was helping a local with a mysterious fuel leak issue. The heat from his V8 dual exhaust was causing the fuel tank and evap system to pressurize, and the overwhelmed canister was dumping fuel from that line onto his passenger side exhaust pipe!😱😱😱

I have thought about this many times over the years, wondering why Toyota ever considered this an acceptable ‘solution’ . The only conclusion that I ever came to was that the ‘exit’ from the canister wasn’t high enough to guarantee that the condensed fuel could be siphoned back into the in-cab fuel tank. This problem was resolved in 1979 with the move to an under-tub tank, a higher mounted canister, and a sharp 90 degree elbow on the exit of the canister.

All of which is to say that if you want a ’real’ solution rather than just sticking the tube in the hole I indicated, you are going to have to do some fabrication.

To all who find this information useful, please take a moment to hit the like button. Stuck this in the body grommet you speak of to illustrate for someone else. I have a Delco canister, that’s why there isn’t a vent line off the bottom as found on an original canister.
IMG_1067.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom