Changing the orientation of an 80 front axle... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some advice regarding an 80 front axle. I'm currently building an extended cab FJ45 on an 80 frame (link in sig). I was dead set on using the 1FZ, but I have access to a 3UR drivetrain I'd like to use if possible. The largest obstacle I see is the front diff drop side and lack of aftermarket transfer case options for the 3UR.

I suppose my options are -

Use a 2wd transmission and get a divorced transfer case ($$$)
Cut apart and re-weld the front axle tube to change the 3rd member location to the other side
Aftermarket axle housing (hopefully still using OEM 3rd member)

Front and rear axles on this project are OEM locked and will be actuated via cable, not electric motor. I'd really like to use what I already have in some fashion. I'd also like to keep this build Toyota only, so no Dana axles or any other manufacturers if possible.

If anybody has any input or thought, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

20181007_163707.jpg

Last edited:
The 3UR put outs 381hp and 401 ft lbs.... I don't really see a turbo 1FZ reliably (or cheaply) doing the same. Plus, my 1FZ is from a 94, so pre OBDII, which is much harder to turbo due to the air flow meter and ECU.

Reactions: RFB
I think in the long run changing the orientation of the axle would be easier than trying to hide all the electrical from the 3UR in the 45. I would also recommend bypassing the SAIS when installing the motor so that you don't have to do it later.

would a mini truck gear drive case work? they drop on the correct side and i am pretty sure they can take the power since i have seen several with LS swaps. would also give you a ton of cheap options for gears and doublers.

Sequoia transfer case.

You’d need a complete Tundra 5.7 to lift the harnesses, or ideally a Sequoia you add either a solid axle (or the IRS) - under the 80 frame.

I’m doing one, and won’t S/C it as the 3UR isn’t robust enough IMO for longterm forced manifold.

Do you seriously think you can shoehorn the 3UR into the 40 clip? Or are you thinking wide 45 mod?

I’ve measured & just a 3UR in a 80 would be something.
3UR has Hemi+ sized heads.

Sequoia / Tundra forum here is picking up with affordable 3UR’s becoming a norm / modded to a certain point.

Water pump and radiator are known parts that will fail and need to be replaced if you go with the 3UR. I replaced mine at 120,000 miles. Also replaced the Starter too. Those seems to fail between 120,000-150,000 miles. Some in the 200 community have also had coolant leaks in valley under the intake manifolds. Those are items id replace while exposed if you do go with the 5.7. It is a really nice smooth and powerful engine. Good luck. Id like to see you pull it off.

Use a '40 semi float rear axle housing. Cut the flanges off. Turn it around and put it under the front of your rig. Put your '80 knuckles on the ends. Now you have passenger side drop, comparable width... and a decent front diff too. You will have to play fabrication games to deal with tierod and sway bar if you are keeping the '80 setup stock.

Mark...

Sequoia transfer case.

You’d need a complete Tundra 5.7 to lift the harnesses, or ideally a Sequoia you add either a solid axle (or the IRS) - under the 80 frame.

I’m doing one, and won’t S/C it as the 3UR isn’t robust enough IMO for longterm forced manifold.

Do you seriously think you can shoehorn the 3UR into the 40 clip? Or are you thinking wide 45 mod?

I’ve measured & just a 3UR in a 80 would be something.
3UR has Hemi+ sized heads.

Sequoia / Tundra forum here is picking up with affordable 3UR’s becoming a norm / modded to a certain point.

The 5.7 will fit in the engine bay... we've already done one (with a supercharger, no less!) Here's a pic of the last one, which was a shortened 40 cab sitting on an 07 Tundra frame with LSK long travel in front and a linked rear with 24" of travel. Radiator was mounted in the bed, but there was a lot of space between the engine and firewall. We chose not to move the engine back, but if we would have, there would have been room to put the radiator up front.

I have a complete 08 Sequoia to use.... but I was almost positive the diff drop is on the driver's side of the Sequoia, just like a 200 series.

lt4.jpg

Last edited:
would a mini truck gear drive case work? they drop on the correct side and i am pretty sure they can take the power since i have seen several with LS swaps. would also give you a ton of cheap options for gears and doublers.

That is not a divorced case though... correct?

Diamond axle housing, with custom shafts.

Thanks. I did speak with Diamond and that is an option....

Have ruffstuff build you a housing to factory specs but with diff opposite. Then you can run factory shafts but opposite sides.

The 5.7 will fit in the engine bay... we've already done one (with a supercharger, no less!)......was shortened 40 cab sitting on an 07 Tundra frame...... Radiator was mounted in the bed, but there was a lot of space between the engine and firewall. We chose not to move the engine back.......

I have a complete 08 Sequoia to use.... but I was almost positive the diff drop is on the driver's side of the Sequoia, just like a 200 series.

Sounds lime you came in a sleeper then, you already eclipsed my dead - reckoning across the 5.7 in my Tundra & seeing IF keeping the fenders in a 80 was going to happen, purely from width.

As for the Sequoia box, I have something going over in Tundra/Sequoia subforum, I copy / pasted the link for a guy who has already done the S TC-box into a T drivetrain, it’s plug-n-play aside from optional shaft length mods since Crewmax wheelbase is Slightly more (IIRC that’s why, but easily wrong).

I know a certain member has done a 200 early TC into a G2 Tundra, so we’re back to Toyotas = greasy, expensive Legos. It bolts in.

It’s a long-gone setup, PM me so we don’t blow up his inbox, and look in the other Seq/Tun forum, I posted the link I’m already gathering parts to do it with.

It even fits with the later 37g gas tank from ‘14+ Tundras, the other mod that has practical merit IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom