Chainsaw Mount? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome thread... Ive been meaning to mount a saw to the LX, some great ideas here ;)

I bring my Stihl ms 150 for camping...put in a plastic container...its an expensive climbing trim/prune saw and packs a punch for its size...awesome for in the tree arborist work ;)
048.JPG

This worked well. stayed on for a 500 mile round trip. IDK if it would quite work on a LC with a carrier

0615171741.jpg

Last edited:
Husqvarna has a nice rectangular case that packs easier than the standard Stihl-style case. It's not small though:
husqvarna-chainsaw-orange-powerbox1.jpg

This - yes it's bulky but it works and any time I head up into the mountains it's standard equipment in the truck.

Started with a trip to Monache Meadows in central California several years ago. Hit the dirt and my buddy went ahead to secure our favorite site. I was towing an offroad trailer at the time so he could make much better time than I could for the hour drive back to where we camped. He radioed via HAM with good news and bad when he got to the site. Good news - the site was available. Bad news - a tree about a foot and a half in diameter had fallen across the path about 100 yards from the site! He had a foldable bow saw and I had my trusty axe. Now...we're at about 9000' so going at this tree at that altitude wasn't much fun. We did get through it and then strapped it out of the way to get to our site! The following year I took my Husqvarna similar to the one pictured above with me. The tree, in all it's glory was right where we'd left it the previous year. Needless to say, I had fun with my chainsaw and that tree! Left plenty of firewood for others to enjoy as well and the following year that was all gone too!

I bring my Stihl ms 150 for camping...put in a plastic container...packs a punch for its size...awesome for in the tree arborist work ;)View attachment 1574255

See, this is all you really need - I live where the largest yarders are namesaked (Skagit Yarder) - and all the local 'billys know a sharp chain & 14" bar is all you need to get somewhere.
Not as speedy as a 30" bar for production logging, but we want downers that have a season to burn, or green roadblocks you can still step-cut it & get the job done.

There’s something very unmanly about an electric saw, but you have a good point here. I might have to look into an electric.

I don't know!
If you're into glamping and have a 6 star camping trailer with microwave, tv, temperature controlled hot water system, 12 piece bbq furniture set, 15 person gazebo, 38,000lumens of LED strip lighting to frighten the darkness into next week, I'm sure the wielder of a cordless chainsaw ishas going to have a certain amount of manly appeal to . . . .

Yeah, nah!

Carry on!

I bring my Stihl ms 150 for camping...put in a plastic container...its an expensive climbing trim/prune saw and packs a punch for its size...awesome for in the tree arborist work ;)View attachment 1574255

Nice!

I had a stihl 009 when i was contract framing houses.
Not quite as compact as that one, but plenty of grunt to run a thin gauge chain on an 18" bar through Aussie hardwood all day. (Think American oak, then double the density).

I used to carry it on trips with the bar off, in a plastic tub with lid in the rear with fuel and oil, tools etc. Packed up pretty compact.

When it was needed, the bar and chain were on in just a few minutes.

Funny how many of us run Stihl saws. I use a 25 year old 044 that I had an Alaskan saw mill setup on with a 24" bar and rip chain. Built a small timber frame camp with it- beams, siding, floors, the whole thing. Rig worked great just took a while. It has cut many tons of wood, that's a fact.

Been through 3 bars and at least 8 chains, and uncountable gallons of gas and oil. Had to get it tuned up only one time in it's life and it is still on it's second spark plug. Helluva good saw. Now running an 18" bar and regular chain for yard work and the like. Works great on the trails too, but I'd like to box it up outside the truck somehow, maybe on the roof rack? Still looking for the right size job box or military container to fit it.

Personally, I don’t mind hauling my MS 250 in the cargo area and inside its plastic carry container but I also think some of the exterior saw mounts I’ve seen are very interesting.

I'm with you. I strap my MS250 in the cargo area and haven't had a leak. My buddy has a 25 year old 026 which leaks, but it still cuts just as strong as when new. These 2 saws have made me kind of a Stihl guy. (But I like Huskys and Jonsareds as well.)

I don't know!
If you're into glamping and have a 6 star camping trailer with microwave, tv, temperature controlled hot water system, 12 piece bbq furniture set, 15 person gazebo, 38,000lumens of LED strip lighting to frighten the darkness into next week, I'm sure the wielder of a cordless chainsaw ishas going to have a certain amount of manly appeal to . . . .

Yeah, nah!

Carry on![/QUOTE
I'm with you. I strap my MS250 in the cargo area and haven't had a leak. My buddy has a 25 year old 026 which leaks, but it still cuts just as strong as when new. These 2 saws have made me kind of a Stihl guy. (But I like Huskys and Jonsareds as well.)
Once stowed inside the appropriate carry case, it matters not if you just shut the saw down or if it leaks. Odor? What odor? This is why the plactic was case exists.

Last edited:
You could always make a detent in your rear quarter to hold it, kind of like this....
shovel.jpg

IMG_3529.JPG
Long time ago I cut firewood as a side income for about 8 years in Wyoming. Got pretty good with a gas chainsaw. Nowadays for yard work, trail clearing, and campfire wood I have used a combination of a Remington 120v on an inverter, and a Ryobi 40v to do the job. Not nearly as big and fast as a gasser, but quiet, tidy, and easier to stow. And yes, we do have real trees/forests here in Arizona. :moon:

IMG_3621.JPG

Husky here.

How about both? A little Stihl MS211 for limbing and a Husqvarna 365 Special for bucking. Haven't thought much about carrying either with me in the cruiser but I could see how handy it would be in the spring when there are a lot of down trees on the forest roads.

upload_2017-11-15_13-21-9.png

Let's get back to the mount before Aloha Jen will post some pictures here and this thread will be moved to chat.
Done. Here in the Islands we only use STIHL!
IMG_7924.JPG

Well played Jen, well played!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom