Carolina Relic Run 2019 - April 25-28 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Carolina Relic Run 2019
April 25-28, 2019
Shadowlands Campground
200-216 Mullinex rd

Troy, Nc

DISCLAIMER - This first post will be updated periodically so check back frequently.

REGISTRATION IS OPEN
About the Event
The Carolina Relic Run was created as a special event for vintage Toyota Land Cruisers (build dates of 1990 and earlier) in the Southeast but is open to owners of all Toyotas having 4WD. The event is organized by the Olde North State Cruisers, a not-for-profit chapter of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association (TLCA). Click HERE to view the article which appeared in the Jan/Feb 2018 edition of Toyota Trails, the official magazine of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association (TLCA) [See cover and pages 28-35]. Click HERE to view a thread which includes the published photos and other great ones that didn't make the cut. Finally, HERE is video of the 2017 event shot and produced by @mtnbike28 (Jay).

Since the focus of the event is on Toyota “Relics”, only trucks with build dates of 1990 and earlier will be able to participate in the official “Relic Run”, be in official event pictures and be eligible to receive awards. However, we encourage Toyota 4×4 owners of ALL YEARS to attend the event, participate in the raffles and camp with us at the Badin Lake Group Camp!

Uwharrie National Forrest is approximately 51,000 acres in size and offers outdoor activities including hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, fishing, swimming, boating and approximately 20 miles of trails designated for off-roading.

Below please find the draft schedule of events (obviously subject to change). Please PM me with suggested revisions and additions.

Unorganized and Organized Events & Activities:
Thursday, April 25th
Shadolwands Camp opens for Early Bird Campers at 3pm.

Friday, April 26th
Vehicle Inspection and Check-In
Dusk Trail Ride

Saturday, April 27th
7 am – 9 am - Vehicle Inspection and Check-in
9 am – 10:30 am – Relic Runs | Pack your lunch and hit the easy and moderate trails. We'll send out moderately sized groups of trucks in waves starting at 9 am.
11 am – 5 pm – Trail Rides | Split up into groups seeking varying levels of difficult terrain. Have lunch with your old and new friends along the trail
5 pm – All Relic trucks should head over to the Uwharrie Off-Road Training Center property across Hwy. 109 from the Eldorado Outpost for the vehicle line-up, photoshoot and judging for the following competitions (Please note this location may change)

1. Oldest Land Cruiser
  2. Longest Continuous Ownership
  3. Best Overall Condition
  4. Iron Butt Award (furthest driven to the event in their Land Cruiser)
  5. Best Patina
  6. Most Original
  7. Most Unoriginal/Modified
  8. Best Overall Vintage Camping Equipment
  9. Fan Favorite
7 pm – Dinner catered by Texalina BBQ - Adults will enjoy a buffet meal of slow smoked chopped pork BBQ or smoked chicken. Our caterer prides themselves in their homemade BBQ sauces and flavors include: Sweet Apple Bourbon, Redline Vinegar, Four Pepper Hot and Possum Venom. Children will enjoy a meal of chicken tenders and mac-n-cheese. For dessert, everyone will enjoy cobbler. Choose from ice tea, lemonade and water to drink.

8:15 pm - Vintage Attire Fashion Show (f/k/a Best Dressed competition) - Following dinner, break out attire that is period correct for your relic. The winner of this competition will be determined by the applause, cat-calls and whistles
8:30 pm - Awards and Raffle Drawings and Kid's Raffle Drawings

Sunday, April 28th
9 am – Trail Rides
11 am – Campsite Checkout

Our very own Alex Cortani (@Green Hell Mustang) designed this incredibly awesome logo for the event which will be available in decal form in this and several other colors similar to Toyota factory paint colors available in the 1980's for the 60/62's

The event t-shirt will be as amazing as ever. Designed by our very own Jonathan Jones @lumbee1 and I'll post the sample soon.

Campsite Details:
As you may have noticed the location of the Carolina Relic Run has changed. For those that attended last year and trailered your rigs in, you are going to love this.

From HWY 109 you will turn onto Mullinex road just as if you were going to group camp. You will go approx 0.5 miles and make a left up a gravel entrance (we'll have a sign out). Shadowlands sits on 51 acres, some wooded and some wide open. There is a covered pavilion on location that has bathrooms and showers. Otherwise, there is a similar primitive camp type feel that we had at group camp. As you pull in to the right of the pavilion you will find the wooded section prime for tent camping. Trailers, campers and RV's have full access to the fields. On the map you will see a red circle. There is a small camping section just inside the treeline here that can be used as well. It's idea for a small group that might prefer a little more "out of the way" type spot. This is insanely close to the outpost so those of you that make the breakfast run to the Outpost just got a shorter commute.

This will only be the 2nd time ONSC has been to Shadowlands. Check the 2018 Logan's Run thread for pics of the Venue. HERE

Family Friendly:
Like all other Olde North State Cruisers events, this one is also open to your entire family, including children and dogs. Please be thoughtful, courteous and cautious and leave at home any member of the family that might not be well socialized or be otherwise unpredictable at a gathering of this type. Problematic people and pets deemed to pose a safety hazard or whom show aggression will be removed from camp. On a happier note, kids 17 and under are free.

Great Value
Your drivers registration includes 3 nights of camping, event fee, dinner, event t-shirt, ticket for the drivers raffle, access to general raffle, and more.

Driver Registration (For owners of relics only)
  • Includes Event Fee
  • Access to Campsites
  • Drivers Raffle Ticket
  • Saturday Night Dinner
  • Event Decal
  • Event T-shirt (Only guaranteed for those that pre-register! Otherwise, while supplies last.)
Cost - $60

Passenger Registration (pre-registration or on-site)
  • Access to Campsites
  • Saturday Night Dinner
Cost - $15

Spectator Registration (for those non-relic owners who don't want to miss out on all the fun)
  • Includes Event Fee
  • Access to Campsites
  • Saturday Night Dinner
  • Event Decal
  • Event T-shirt (Only guaranteed for those that pre-register! Otherwise, while supplies last.)
Cost - $60

Raffle Prizes:
We were fortunate last year to have a significant number of sponsors donate fantastic raffle items. Please consider buying your tickets for the General Raffle when you register. We're currently reaching out to potential sponsors and will update this post periodically as we receive commitments.

Driver’s Raffle - must be present to win and you must have a Relic with you on location. This will be verified at vehicle inspection

• Set of tires - Courtesy of BF Goodrich
General Raffle - must be present to win :
  • This list will be updated shortly as Raffle prizes are being collected and cataloged.
ONSC is proud to have the following sponsors partnering with us for the Carolina Relic Run 2019:
PLATINUM SPONSORS
  • BFGoodrich - (5 Tires - any size/style up to 37") up to $2500 value
  • Long Range America: Two Kaymar LED work lights – $179 each / $500 coupon for Kaymar rear bar kit with carriers ($2,495 to $2,995 cost)/$500 coupon good for LRA fuel tank – ($1,495 to $1,795)
  • Land Cruiser Heaven - FJ40 body panels
  • Trollhole Cruisers - TBD
  • Fred Anderson Toyota - TBD
GOLD SPONSORS
  • Warn - Epic Recovery Kit - Medium duty 12k lbs - ($500)
  • Carolina Off-Road Outfitters, LLC - $500 in gift certificates
  • Cruiser Brothers - $500 coupon good for combo upgrade kit for Toyota automatic transmissions – HD Nomad Valve Body and Torque Converter Lock Up Kit – Kit retail cost $1,890
SILVER SPONSORS
  • Cool Cruisers of Texas - Rear License Plate holder - 1975-84 ($79) / Gear Shift Instruction placard -4spd ($17) / Hood windshield support bracket kit ($48)
  • Aussie Locker - $340 gift certificate (value up to, for one locker)
  • OTRAMM - 3 x 1FZ crank pully tools ($72.50 each)
  • Trd.guru / Toyotaparts.pro -10 pack OEM oil filters (90915-yzzd3) ($50)/ 3 “Toyota Care Care products” packs ($20 each)/1 sun shade ($25) / “Toyota trucks” Metal Tumbler ($25)/ 2 - Toyota White Tumblers ($20 each) /1:24 scale - FJ40 ($30)
  • Overland Metric - FJ40 Zinc hardware kit with organizer ($219) / Stainless Front Door Hinge hardware ($39)
  • Tuffy Products -$200 gift certificate
SUPPORTING SPONSORS
  • Camp Chef - Pro 90X 16" 3 burner stove ($329) - (camp chef gave us a discount, ONSC covered the rest)
  • Gamiviti - Spare Tire Accessory Bracket ($55) / Swag Pack -hammock, hat, etc ($50)
  • CRC Industries, Inc. - 3 cases of Brakecleen ($100)
  • Factor 55 (winch accessories) - $50 gift certificate

Additional Info:
  • Registration for the event does not included the daily OHV Trail Passes, which can be purchased at the Eldorado Outpost at a cost of $5 per day. Be sure to grab a FREE USFS map of the OHV trail system while you’re there.
  • All Spectator trucks are encouraged to organize and enjoy their own trail rides (aka Outlaws Run) during the official “Relic Run” ride as they will not be permitted to accompany the Relics as per event registrations.
  • To participate in official event trail rides, vehicles must pass ONSC Vehicle Inspection Requirements which can be found HERE
  • General Raffle Tickets - $1 each or 25 for $20 and can be purchased as part of registration or at the registration tent at the event.
  • Extra T-Shirts can be ordered during online registration for an extra $15 order or purchased at the registration tent while supplies last
  • PLEASE be sure to let us know how many children age 17 and under you will have in your party so we can plan accordingly (via the "Child" add-on during registration)
  • Camp fires are restricted to the Group Camp fire pits. No ground based campfires are allowed. If you choose to camp in the open area of the field you may also have a campfire if you use a raised fire pit. If you are unsure of the situation, please see an ONSC staff or Event volunteer or inquire at the registration tent.
  • Although we are at a new location the same rules for alcohol that we had at Group camp applies to Shadowlands.
Future edits to come, so stay tuned to this post for updates.

The Carolina Relic Run is not to be confused with the annual "Relic Run "event organized by Expedition Utah. The Carolina Relic Run is not endorsed by and is not in any way affiliated with Expedition Utah or its event.

CRR_2019_Banner.jpg

Last edited:
Wait this event isnt in Utah???
LMAO

One of the best events around!!!
:cheers:

Can't wait! Will there be another post about volunteers needed for CRR or will there be a list in this thread? Also, Train horn clip never gets old 🤣 @forrest5000

Something that owns me will be there!! Gotta defend my Vintage Camping Gear title! That musty smell is........probably me!

Unfortunately I’m out this year.

Would a '91 HDJ-80 qualify as a relic?

Would a '91 HDJ-80 qualify as a relic?

Please see the quoted excerpt from the first post. You're more than welcome to attend as many others like myself will. You would need to register as a spectator once registration goes live. You will just not be able to participate in the official relic ride (there will be others riding so you will still get plenty of trail time), The relic picture and the drivers raffle. You will still get camping, rides, and access to the general raffle. So lots of fun still to be had.

Since the focus of the event is on Toyota “Relics”, only trucks with build dates of 1990 and earlier will be able to participate in the official “Relic Run”, be in official event pictures and be eligible to receive awards. However, we encourage Toyota 4×4 owners of ALL YEARS to attend the event, participate in the raffles and camp with us at the Badin Lake Group Camp!

Well, this didn't take long. I'm out! My sitter can't come up so I will have to live this event either from memories of last year or through photos. I'll miss it!

UPDATE!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train. There is a better then even chance I will be able to attend. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Please see the quoted excerpt from the first post. You're more than welcome to attend as many others like myself will. You would need to register as a spectator once registration goes live. You will just not be able to participate in the official relic ride (there will be others riding so you will still get plenty of trail time), The relic picture and the drivers raffle. You will still get camping, rides, and access to the general raffle. So lots of fun still to be had.
Hmmm... such a stickler LOL. I have to look at my build date.

Hmmm... such a stickler LOL. I have to look at my build date.
It's open to all, you just won't be able to participate in the Relic Run. The event is an absolute blast with some really cool rigs. I'm hoping to get there as soon as possible on Friday with my son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom