Chaos - 1987 Toyota 4Runner (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4LowandSlow

SILVER Star
Threads
Well today i did a thing ahaha.

Got up early this morning and headed out to @GLTHFJ60 house to go grab @mtweller trailer (Thanks again for letting me use it!) and from there we headed up to Stem, NC to where the truck was located in the middle of no where. It was a very pretty ride out there going with all the land out there. Once we got there the truck was sitting in almost a wooded area in some brush.
IMG_0511.jpg

First impressions on the truck it defiantly needs some elbow grease with all of the 3-4 years of sitting there, Hint the name of the truck ahah. But also it had A LOT of rust, On the tailgate, bed, Passenger door, And some severe frame rust in some places so there's most likely gonna be a frame swap, or just run it till it snaps or have the luck of Fred Williams mini truck Clampy's frame luck lol. So here's the truck on the initial first sight. So the i got the truck for free, It was at the owner of the truck's mechanics house and he had a sweet set up, a huge shop. Let's just say me and my dad wanted it cause it already had a lift and this garage could actually fit the cruiser unlike our current garage:). So we had talked to the guy of what he had done to it and what was needed to be done with it. So what we had heard from the the owner of the truck is that it would need a new motor cause it had blew the head gasket a couple times and it had blew it again so it needed a new motor cause we thought that there was a warped head or a cracked block. But i was relieved to find out that the mechanic had already done the head gasket again and that it just needed some TLC and a fuel pump to get it running again. I'm glad that i don't have to rip into the motor and do the head gasket but it would be good learning experience. But ill just save that till it blows again. So we backed the truck and trailer up to the truck and started the process of loading it onto the trailer. Using a come along hand winch was not terrible, but as it was 28 degrees this morning it was not a pleasant experience but least the truck was light, @GLTHFJ60 you need to get a winch on your trailer or i just need to get vehicles that run lol. But as it took a couple pulls with the come along we got it on the trailer. Surprisingly the tires were still holding air after sitting for so long, and still have some good tread on them.
IMG_20171231_130400802_HDR1.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg
But we got it loaded up and strapped down and got back in the truck with the heat on full blast to warm our freezing hands. The hour ride back on was uneventful and smooth sailing all the way which was a good thing. We didn't have to do a johnny and pull off parts of truck on the trailer and put them on the truck to get it home:rofl:.
IMG_0514.jpg

So when we got home we backed the trailer up the driveway and just pushed it into the driveway where it will sit while i work on cleaning it out until i can get it into the garage where there's some heat to where i won't freeze to death working on it.
IMG_0516.jpg

So the plan for the truck as it will be a dedicated trail rig:
  • SAS
  • Put 80 axles, E-Locker front and something cheap or E-locker as well if presentable :)
  • Dual Cases
  • Spring's 63" front and rear for now, Unless 3 and 4 link is presentable.
  • 35-37" tires, Me and my dad talked about stealing the MTR's off of Dipty heheh.
  • Full Exo Cage
  • Bucket Seats with 5-Point Harnesses
  • Bobbing the Bed and Front End
  • Header and Off-road cam to get a little more power out of the 22R-E
  • Custom Sliders
  • Uptight Bumpers for approach angles
  • Strengthen the frame
  • Some type of storage compartment in the bed
  • More to come as idea's are created

Last edited:
Lol, nice writeup bud. Currently accepting donations for a winch for @mtweller 's trailer :D

How did the Tundra tow @fourtrax? About as expected?

Towed friggin awesome

Nice! Tis the season for new projects. I may know where a set of non locked 80 series axles are if you need a set.

@mtweller that new wood looks real nice - look maw, no holes!
Indeed it is, I'm getting a front axle from @Roxx but if you have a contact for a rear just PM it. Thanks

I have an 80 rear axle if you want it

Well i didn't get as much done as i wanted too so far but it's just to dang cold to be doing anything and it was too cold for my dad to come out and work on it with me ahaha. I started the morning upfront under the hood pulling off the the airbox and piping to the intake to make sure there was no nest or anything in there. It was honestly pretty clean other then a few nuts and pine straw in the box. When pulling off the airbox one if the bolts had broken off but it was still sticking up enough for me to weld a nut on there and screw it out. It only took 2 nuts to do it but i ended up getting it out.
IMG_0524.jpg

After that i had taken the battery out to charge it to find what was left of the battery tray. So i went ahead and had cut the rest of it out with the grinder and going to start making one that is more suitable for holding the battery down if a rollover were to happen. But also going to go through the metal there and trying and control the rust and strengthen that area since its already pretty week right there.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

So after that i spent most of the time cleaning out the truck as it was dirty and all the rusty water stained carpet inside and pulled the bench seat out to clean under there. Pretty sure i'm going to rhino line the side because it was so bad of wet carpet. Once i had gotten the truck cleaned out i was told i was able to move it into the garage so since it doesn't run i couldn't drive it so i was stuck to pushing it inside. Couldn't get the truck all the way in the garage so i got the cruiser to push and finish the job, I should of done that from the beginning hahaha. But now to let the garage warm up as i'm currently letting it do so i can drop the gas take to see the condition of it but also to pull out the fuel pump to change it and see if i can get it running.
IMG_0528.jpg

I knew that the cruiser was kinda high to push it into the garage but nothing got bent or broken surprisingly. But if so it had happened all of that is getting replace eventually.

Last edited:
Got the gas tank out... after 4 broken bolts, tools being thrown many times, rust falling into my eyes even with safety glass, rust falling into my ear. Really just rust falling everywhere i probably lost 2lbs of rust, But in the process of dropping the tank i had nicked one of the break lines apparently which is kinda weird for it to break, I guess it was just on the verge of cracking. But after some food all is better:)

Couldn't get the truck all the way in the garage so i got the cruiser to push and finish the job, I should of done that from the beginning hahaha. But now to let the garage warm up as i'm currently letting it do so i can drop the gas take to see the condition of it but also to pull out the fuel pump to change it and see if i can get it running.

This place is nearby in case you want to go the 22RET route. Post #1205. I’m meeting Scott there to help him pull some interior stuff.
For Sale/Wanted To Buy

This place is nearby in case you want to go the 22RET route. Post #1205. I’m meeting Scott there to help him pull some interior stuff.
For Sale/Wanted To Buy

Nice - will you please let me know how that driver's seat looks when you go (unless you all are grabbing them) and seat belts where the buckle in? If not, no worries. Thanks very much.

Nice - will you please let me know how that driver's seat looks when you go (unless you all are grabbing them) and seat belts where the buckle in? If not, no worries. Thanks very much.

I assume this is what you are looking for?

image.jpg

Yes sir.....guessing you all grabbed those :) for your parts.
The interior was in exceptionally good shape; and dang near complete. Scott grabbed the seats, panels, steering wheel... I grabbed these for you; PM me your address and I’ll get them in the mail. :cheers:

Anyhow, not to clutter up The Greaser thread, but in case the engine is messed up, the 22RET was complete with AC. It didn’t appear to have any rods through the block. Of course, this is no guarantee that it isn’t seized...

The interior was in exceptionally good shape; and dang near complete. Scott grabbed the seats, panels, steering wheel... I grabbed these for you; PM me your address and I’ll get them in the mail. :cheers:

Anyhow, not to clutter up The Greaser thread, but in case the engine is messed up, the 22RET was complete with AC. It didn’t appear to have any rods through the block. Of course, this is no guarantee that it isn’t seized...

No worries lol. Thanks for the info and taking a look at it, The 22re in it right now seems as it will run once i get the fuel up, Went to try and crank it while doing some testing on it its a good and steady crank, No noises or anything like that, But will have to see when i get it running of how it runs

even if the motor is shot, the turbo manifold and turbo would be a great score for your rig

even if the motor is shot, the turbo manifold and turbo would be a great score for your rig
That is true, i like your thinking ahahah

cylinder head chambers are different (but heads can be interchanged)
pistons are dished on the 22rte (to lower compression)
oil passages in the block are slightly different, but they are not incompatible and there's a casting in the exhaust side of the block for the turbo oil return.
the 22ret makes less power below 2000 rpms and more power above 3000rpms then the 22re.

I think a 22re with something like a (engbldr 261C) cam and a long tube header will give better low end grunt then a 22ret. plus it is a simpler design and don't have to worry about turbo cool down times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom