Can a timing belt change make an engine fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It didn’t fail, it was installed incorrectly.
That’s installer error. Shop should pay for everything, and I mean everything.
Make sure they source an LC engine or at least JDM 2UZ. I’ll bet they try a tundra US engine first. Also 4R exhaust manifolds are different as well, not sure if the bolt patterns are the same.

Last edited:
The news you have all been waiting for is in: The timing belt tensioner was found to be loose. The shop is very kind and doing the right thing and will take care of the situation for us. They are looking to acquire an engine now. Is this a good time for engine mounts or anything else to be replaced?

Geez so sorry, that's such a bummer.

That's great news! Non-ambiguous answer and a stand-up shop. Ideally, you'll get a Japanese (Cruiser) engine.

Did the tensioner fail or did the mechanic finger tighten the bolts?
answered above.

Wouldn't be a horrible idea to do engine mounts, though the 2UZ is extremely smooth and balanced so doubtful you'll notice any difference and the 100 isn't known for engine mounts failing.

What I would do is the rear main seal. It's going to be a long time before that sees the light of day again and it's not an easy fix. Again, not a frequent failure but it's a cheap part.

That's great news! Non-ambiguous answer and a stand-up shop. Ideally, you'll get a Japanese (Cruiser) engine.

Well I mean vs it being something insignificant or not having happened at all. I'd be depressed af if my perfectly running cruiser needed a new engine all of a sudden. If the shop couldn't even get the ****ing tensioner installed correctly, not sure I'd be thrilled with them installing an entire engine.

That’s installer error. Shop should pay for everything, and I mean everything.
any other important engine components aside from the new engine you think should be considered for replacement in the process?

Did the tensioner fail or did the mechanic finger tighten the bolts? answered above.

Wouldn't be a horrible idea to do engine mounts, though the 2UZ is extremely smooth and balanced so doubtful you'll notice any difference and the 100 isn't known for engine mounts failing.

What I would do is the rear main seal. It's going to be a long time before that sees the light of day again and it's not an easy fix. Again, not a frequent failure but it's a cheap part.
Awesome, rear main seal, noted!

And no way that part failed, imo.
probably wasn't torqued wrong, they said it was loose.

It didn’t fail, it was installed incorrectly.

Make sure they source an LC engine or at least JDM 2UZ. I’ll bet they try a tundra US engine first. Also 4R exhaust manifolds are different as well, not sure if the bolt patterns are the same.
This was the first thing I confirmed that it's the JDM engine- they said they found one pulled from a 06 LC from cruiser parts, which is a relief!!!

I would replace all of the coolant hoses and clamps, thermostat, heater T's, vacuum hoses, fuel filter, PCV valve/hoses. No matter the miles, all of those parts have a lot of years on them, and they aren't expensive.

I would replace all of the coolant hoses and clamps, thermostat, heater T's, vacuum hoses, fuel filter, PCV valve/hoses. No matter the miles, all of those parts have a lot of years on them, and they aren't expensive.
thank you, great list!

I’d also chuck a new starter on there if you don’t know the history. Easy job with the engine out. A real bear in the truck.

Yeah… the last thing I would want a shop that had to PULL A MOTOR to find out they goofed a tensioner would be to do any more work on my truck. I would be sending them a bill from a shop that knows what they are doing.

Mistakes happen. Quality shops can be judged both by quality work and by how they respond to problems. It would be easy to get interrupted during the process and come back forgetting where you left off. No excuse, but anything humans do is prone to error. If they seem like a good outfit I wouldn't worry. You can guarantee that mistake will never happen to them again.

they said they found one pulled from a 06 LC from cruiser parts, which is a relief!!!
FYSA:

FYSA:

yikes

You can guarantee that mistake will never happen to them again.
FYSA:

I’ve bought some small parts from them (e.g., interior trim pieces) and had luck, but no way in hell would I buy an engine from them.

I’ve bought some small parts from them (e.g., interior trim pieces) and had luck, but no way in hell would I buy an engine from them.
My dad bought parts from them 10-15 years ago, mostly small stuff. Positive experiences but every report since then says stay away

Yeah… the last thing I would want a shop that had to PULL A MOTOR to find out they goofed a tensioner would be to do any more work on my truck. I would be sending them a bill from a shop that knows what they are doing.

I think their offer to remedy their mistake is all they really have to do legally. To send them a big bill for someone else's work is likely just ordering up a legal and court battle which no one wins except for the attorneys.

Everyone makes mistakes. Owning up to it, speak loudly. But if a shop has a history of issue coming out of it, stay away. As many more issue never make this forum, of that you can be sure.

Yeah there’s not too much you can force them to do by law, and that routes a s*** show anyway. A good business will try to keep customers happy and coming back. Might be worth seeing if they’re willing to source a different engine not from the site above.

We’re all human and we all mess up, it’s what you do afterwards that shows your true colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom