Can a timing belt change make an engine fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So all that to say, I think while the timing belts are probably a part of why 2UZ's last so long (if replaced on time) the timing chain driven Toyo motors are fantastically reliable and I'd take one any day for a vehicle I was going to run up to 200 to 300k.

The 1GR-FE is a great engine but I think there's more stretched chains at 200k than people want to admit - resulting in less than optimal performance and gas mileage. There's a youtube video on one with a timing check engine light at 145k - perhaps poor oil changes. Throwing a tensioner at it is a temporary fix. It needs a new chain(s) which I believe is pushing $2k these days. As a mid level DIYer I'll take a non-interference timing belt over an interference timing chain any day.

I actually like t belts over chains, interference engines suck regardless. Getting in there to replace the belt on the 2UZ forces you to inspect almost everything on the front of the engine and your forced to replace a good amount of coolant (not replacing coolant leads to lots of problems in engines).

Don’t be scared of a timing belt, your problems have all stemmed from a shop doing a poor job. Going to sound frank but I’d never take my truck back to these guys even if they’re trying to make it right. You’ve been down a Hundy for weeks now…
well now it's insurance time... now i have to prove to insurance my car is worth over 20k if i were to replace it today. plus getting new brakes + tires , general updates. oof

Shouldn't be hard. Just go to bring-a-trailer and pull recent 2006 auction results. Hard to argue with market price when there is a large sample of actual action sales numbers.

LX470 - https://bringatrailer.com/lexus/lx470/?search=2006
great point, and i actually did that... i was hoping they wouldn't brush it off which would be stuid since like you said they show actual sales data...not a deleted listing. I just want my car back and running 100%

update... engine #2 coming in shortly. The car has been sitting in a parking lot for almost a month and a half, should they do anything else, am i going to have warped rotors and rust from the car sitting so long? any advice would be cool

Good question on the rotors. Light surface rust should come right off with use. Only if it causes pitting would I be concerned. Even with that, OEM rotors are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

My primary concern would be that the vehicle is protected from moisture damage, both inside and under the hood. If the hood is closed and there are no leaks then it shouldn't be a problem. Mold can grow quickly in 40F temps, less of a concern if continually below freezing.

Good question on the rotors. Light surface rust should come right off with use. Only if it causes pitting would I be concerned. Even with that, OEM rotors are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

My primary concern would be that the vehicle is protected from moisture damage, both inside and under the hood. If the hood is closed and there are no leaks then it shouldn't be a problem. Mold can grow quickly in 40F temps, less of a concern if continually below freezing.
thank you!! i think everything is closed...I hope that is!

weird question....but does this new engine w/ under 100k miles lower my cars value. Say I were to sell this beutiful machine... what would a potential buyer think when they hear the engine has been replaced...

weird question....but does this new engine w/ under 100k miles lower my cars value. Say I were to sell this beutiful machine... what would a potential buyer think when they hear the engine has been replaced...
I think an engine replacement will raise questions, but if the new engine is well documented it will probably raise the value, especially after some time and mileage. If you immediately try to sell it I do think you’ll take a hit, as new buyers would be skeptical and less willing to risk wringing out the install.

well now it's insurance time... now i have to prove to insurance my car is worth over 20k if i were to replace it today. plus getting new brakes + tires , general updates. oof
A lot of us have been down that path, keep pushing you will easily be able to prove the vehicle is worth more than what they are trying to total it for.

That's just a matter of opinion from potential buyers but in the land cruiser world we all know how to make sense of service history and what led to the engine replacement, this thread will be a nice history for future buyers.

don't remember the particulars of your situation, but in general, for a replacement engine, I would want to see all solid documentation, but if the engine is lower mileage than the vehicle, with no history of issues, and the installer appears competent; then it would not phase me, and might even be a plus.

I've someone now, I recommended he put in an insurance claim for engine. He lent the rig, and fan bracket froze and it's shaft sheared off. Fan, fan clutch and end mount of fan bracket just lying in fans shroud. Driver just keep driving up (up hill) I-70, into mountains from Denver. Burned up the engine, it's cylinder are damage. Insurance company scared him off, from making a claim. His concern is they'll total and not give a good value, and just making a claim they'd list as accident in carfax.

Who cares, what's in carfax! It's an explainable event, and can be document. Engines, which have a VIN#, can be document. In the end the engine can be inspected, for the key points. i.e. Looking for overheating signs, check compression and in rare case check oil pressure. If this stuff plays well and document lower mileage, and a good install. Value goes up!

Last edited:
Great feedback everyone. Car is still in the shop but look like it's getting an engine with 70-90k on it w/ new radiator/hoses and timing components as well. I do plan to keep it but feel relieved that it won't affect value if there is proper documentation ( which I plan to get) I did already ask insurance about the potential value loss because of this and what they plan to do about it...probably nothing ha!

Congrats on getting it all put together. Did the insurance cover part of the cost? How much was total bill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom