bxbuilt headlights on LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of buying and installing bxbuilt headlight assembly on my LX450.
However these are mainly advertised for LC Land Cruiser 80/100 Series Retrofit Headlights | BXBuilt - https://www.bxbuilt.com/product-page/land-cruiser-80-100-series-retrofit-headlights and there is bit of a difference between LC and LX headlights.
I wanted to know if anyone has done it previously and what are considerations.

Thanks
Ask BX built. They are very responsive. I inquired about them last year when looking at this for my LX. Never pulled the trigger. And I’ve decided to go a different route now…

Ask BX built. They are very responsive. I inquired about them last year when looking at this for my LX. Never pulled the trigger. And I’ve decided to go a different route now…

Thanks going to check with them, briefly when I had chat with them, they (bxbuilt) mentioned I should get detailed info at ih8mud as well.
But that was quick inquiry, I'll try to get all info before pulling the trigger.

Also what are other options?

7bf7b1_27cea88dc51c4277b2af355be3061626~mv2.webp

Those are just Depo housings with some kind of LED projector lamps installed. HID projectors are superior, based on everything I've read. Also, super weird that they didn't put the glass back on before the photo, and that they didn't black out the now-useless reflectors around the projectors.

Buy yourself some Depo housings. Add Morimoto projectors in the H4 spot and LEDs to the inner H1 position.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, I think someone is selling modified Depo + Morimoto setups on here. Maybe @Luke111 ?

Those are just Depo housings with some kind of LED projector lamps installed. HID projectors are superior, based on everything I've read. Also, super weird that they didn't put the glass back on before the photo, and that they didn't black out the now-useless reflectors around the projectors.

Buy yourself some Depo housings. Add Morimoto projectors in the H4 spot and LEDs to the inner H1 position.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, I think someone is selling modified Depo + Morimoto setups on here. Maybe @Luke111 ?
looks like I need to learn few more things than just looking at photos and deciding

Thanks going to check with them, briefly when I had chat with them, they (bxbuilt) mentioned I should get detailed info at ih8mud as well.
But that was quick inquiry, I'll try to get all info before pulling the trigger.

Also what are other options?
I’ve decided to go this route with my LX…

@kelly saad makes these beautiful grills and also new headlight housings to convert to 7” LEDs, of which there are innumerable options.

Planning to use the 2 piece grill with monster hex and he’ll do the Lexus emblem for it instead of the sombrero. We’re also going to do a custom paint match for my LX.

Obviously not a conventional (or likely popular) approach, but I love the combination of the retro art + science here. I think will be pretty cool and fulfill my original goal of wanting outstanding LED lights…(old eyes need better light)

also new headlight housings to convert to 7” LEDs, of which there are innumerable options.

This is definitely the way I would go if I didn't want to go to the work of retrofitting Morimoto projectors into Depo housings. The Jeep market has brought a ton of 7" round LEDs to the market, and they have the advantage of being DOT compliant. Now if we could just get the Wrangler drivers to adjust their headlight aim after installing them, we could all be happy...

This is definitely the way I would go if I didn't want to go to the work of retrofitting Morimoto projectors into Depo housings. The Jeep market has brought a ton of 7" round LEDs to the market, and they have the advantage of being DOT compliant. Now if we could just get the Wrangler drivers to adjust their headlight aim after installing them, we could all be happy...
Lol. Forgot to reply to your response before. I like you idea probably as best I’ve heard for a conventional upgrade 👍🏼

They do look good... (pics after installing the conversion) Light designs are also infinite thanks to the Jeepers and Harley crowd. These LED'S have plastic lenses are are close to being trashed now, have a pair of H1 glass lense housings waiting to go in.

IMG_20200523_110516168_HDR~2.jpg

I really like my projector retrofit. It's a basic retrofit, but the projectors utilize the emitted light so well without any waist of light going somewhere except for where it's needed-on the road. I tend to end up on roads that have critters, and other odd obstacles. For example hitting a deer would do significant damage to my 80 although with the arb bumper -which was the reason I got a arb- should hopefully keep it from getting totaled by something like that. My projector lamps are for me another step in frontal crash avoidance. It significantly changed the look of my 80 though. A lot of other 80 series owners don't even notice my cruiser. I have the low beam side for low beam and high beam projected lights. The other side is for a led or hid bulb flood lamp pattern. The chrome and paint is done up according to personal taste however you want. Im probably going to open them up again to add some additional detail. They are easy to open up and modify once you get the hang of it. Whether you buy them retrofitted or have it done, its one of the most useful mods ive done in my opinion.
1662407152541.png

I really like my projector retrofit. It's a basic retrofit, but the projectors utilize the emitted light so well without any waist of light going somewhere except for where it's needed-on the road. I tend to end up on roads that have critters, and other odd obstacles. For example hitting a deer would do significant damage to my 80 although with the arb bumper -which was the reason I got a arb- should hopefully keep it from getting totaled by something like that. My projector lamps are for me another step in frontal crash avoidance. It significantly changed the look of my 80 though. A lot of other 80 series owners don't even notice my cruiser. I have the low beam side for low beam and high beam projected lights. The other side is for a led or hid bulb flood lamp pattern. The chrome and paint is done up according to personal taste however you want. Im probably going to open them up again to add some additional detail. They are easy to open up and modify once you get the hang of it. Whether you buy them retrofitted or have it done, its one of the most useful mods ive done in my opinion.View attachment 3106751
Forgot to respond to your previous message also. Your set up is really cool and practical and looks great on your truck. Add a pic of your truck to this thread too. 👍🏼

Try out stock FJ62 lights. They suck.
I’m happy with my LX 450 lights. It’s also nice that they have glass lenses, no plastic to fade. Be sure to save yours, someone will want them.
That’s what all my 60 buddies say! They really do suck. Nice thing on a 62 is option to swap to quad LED’s without much other mod except for wiring.

Definitely keep the glass from LX regardless of what I do…

the projectors utilize the emitted light so well without any waist of light going somewhere except for where it's needed-on the road
The great thing about projectors is the extremely even edge-to-edge lighting. The only headlights I've experienced that were better (and it's been awhile so I may be misremembering) were on a friend's Chevy Volt (? the electric car). Those projectors seemed *flawless* with no hotspots, completely lighting up the freeway from one barrier to the other. The Morimotos are almost as good as my memory of the Volt's headlights. By comparison, the LED lights I had in my unmodified Depo housings had hotspots and the beam pattern wasn't anywhere near as wide. It made it downright scary trying to drive highway 26 at night. That gets a lot of snow and ski traffic, so the road markings are practically invisible, and Botts Dots get scraped off within the first winter.

The worst part of projectors, by far, is modifying the housing to provide enough space to fit the very long projectors. Maybe it's not a problem with other projector brands.

Arguably, the sharp cutoff of the Morimotos may put some people off. DOT-compliant projectors throw more light above the horizontal cutoff, which is nice for lighting up street signs.

Building one myself sounds nice little project.
I see Morimoto https://www.morimotohid.com/lightin..._facet_fitment/LED?order=commercecategory:asc
However having trouble finding Depo housing, I see Depo lights but not really housing/assembly, is there a website / resource I can check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom