Are headlights different on for different years? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On my 94 the assembly was replaced circa 2010 by the dealer when the original was broken. OEM part but slight shade different. Left/driver is original and right is replacement. Not sure picture does justice but the replacement is slightly but noticeably darker glass.

View attachment 3415552
beautiful license plate

On my 96 model FZJ80 I have one each of the 80 series 91-94 variant and the 95-97 variant US spec headlamp assemblies. The one difference I can see is the length of the inner facing tab that attaches to the grill via a small screw.

The early variant has a shorter inner tab so you won't be able to screw it to the 95-97 grill but IMHO that isn't supercritical. Seems like the inner tab functions more to help support/stabilze the grill, not the headlamp. I've thought about making up a small bracket so the shorter headlamp inner tab could be attached to the grill but never got around to it.

IDK if there are other (?internal) differences between the variants, but FWIW I can't tell any difference while driving at night between the two.

Last edited:
IDK if there are other (?internal) differences between the variants, but FWIW I can't tell any difference while driving at night between the two.
Absolutely no discernible difference at night. Just during daylight and only if one really looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom