Buying time 92 vs 94 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to get some feed back. I’m currently got two 80 series cruisers on my radar for purchase, having a hard time deciding. Both are in very good condition, and I’ll add, I’m on the west coast so prices run high.
One is a 1992 with 144k miles $11.5k
2nd is a 1994 with 234k miles, $12k
The 94 has had head gasket replaced 20k ago.
thanks

IMHO, the FZJ80 (93+) vehicles are a very significant upgrade from FJ80. If both are in similar condition (other than the mileage), I'd go with the '94.

I also agree with the 93 preference. I know there is a loyal following of the 91,92 variant but its not for me. Would rather have a 62 if i was going with that engine tranny combo

if it was 92 for $5000 and 94 for $12,000 i would still pick the 94.

nothing wrong with the 92s just its a personal thing for me and my love of the 1FZ and after walking 3 miles in the rain when my sub 200K mile FJ62 tossed a rod in 99 that makes me stay away from the 3FE.

Seems like the consensus is clear... get the 92

Another vote for the '94. These hefty chunkers need all the power they can get and the 1fz is a major upgrade from the 3fe.

I think 92s are great candidates for engine swaps and keeping 6x series on the road

I’ve had/have both. I’ll probably be in the minority here, but I don’t notice much difference power wise between the 3fe w/ 33’s and the 1FZ w/ 315’s.

Now, the A442 I’ll take over the A440. Even though both are good tranny’s, the 442 is better.

I have owned both. Go with the 94. Much more comfortable drive speed for distance trips. More odd ball parts seem to be available.

What a good choice to have!

I’d buy the ‘94 also. Some say the ‘93/‘94 are the best year, OBD1, best engine, best tranny... etc....

3FE parts are starting to become scarce. ‘93 and up has a good following for aftermarket stuff or OEM.

“The 3FE is slow, dead reliable, and relatively impervious to neglect. They are slow on the highway, slower on steep highway grades, and happiest cruising in the mid 60 MPHs, which was the speed limit for which they were designed back then.”

I’d buy the ‘94 also. Some say the ‘93/‘94 are the best year, OBD1, best engine, best tranny... etc....

3FE parts are starting to become scarce. ‘93 and up has a good following for aftermarket stuff or OEM.

“The 3FE is slow, dead reliable, and relatively impervious to neglect. They are slow on the highway, slower on steep highway grades, and happiest cruising in the mid 60 MPHs, which was the speed limit for which they were designed back then.”
Thanks everybody, seems like hands down, it’s the 94. And that’s what we’re going with. All your advice has made it a simple choice.

4B915BF0-3C2F-4C2B-B4D3-97A466C52AB1.jpeg

Making sure you keep the cooling system in check is the most important thing with the 1fz-fe, it is just as reliable as the 3fe AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT COOLING RIGHT.

I would suggest installing the Koso Temp Guage (DIY Link Here) because the stock gauge is useless and will only tell you its hot when it's too late. The koso gauge is cheap and gives you real-time temps from the return pipe to the radiator. A well-maintained cooling system shouldn't see above 200 degrees in regular driving (this obviously depends on load, exterior temp, AC usage etc but even then over 200 is a sign of something not working right).

The mechanical fan is the BEST fan you can get, a well-maintained one will outperform 99% of the electric ones available. Make sure your shroud is intact. The black hub fan clutch is the best (came stock on the 93-94) however if you don't have that then you can get an Aisin blue clutch from rock auto, do not use any other fan clutch (parts store specials are an absolute no-no).

The OEM hubs are serviceable so don't toss the black one if you have it just because it's old. There is a thread HERE that is a step by step on how to upgrade (same process for servicing) a new blue fan clutch, it's the same process for the black clutch.

Last Major tidbits I'd like to pass along:

• YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD YOUR FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL RIGHT NOW and save a copy to your computer, your google drive, your wifes google drive, your kid's computer, send it to your secure server in Switzerland, etc etc etc. It's your bible, basically a step-by-step cookbook for your rig. Links below
  • YOUR FSM HERE (1994 FZJ80 FSM)
  • Your Transmission FSM HERE (A442)
  • Transmission Supplemental FSM HERE (A442)
  • The stock Toyota coolant is RED coolant, however, many rigs have been switched to green over the years. Either is FINE as long as you don't mix them.
  • Don't waste money on aftermarket non-toyota (OEM) replacement parts like bushings, motor mounts, etc etc. They won't work and you'll waste money, sounds crazy but that's the reality. There are plenty of vendors here that will hook you up with at-cost OEM parts.
  • Lastly, spend a couple of hours digging through this post; 80-series FAQ for General Info, Modification and Repairs
  • Don't keep a list of what you spend on your rig, god forbid your wife finds it.... ask me how I know

welcome to the addiction

Making sure you keep the cooling system in check is the most important thing with the 1fz-fe, it is just as reliable as the 3fe AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT COOLING RIGHT.

I would suggest installing the Koso Temp Guage (DIY Link Here) because the stock gauge is useless and will only tell you its hot when it's too late. The koso gauge is cheap and gives you real-time temps from the return pipe to the radiator. A well-maintained cooling system shouldn't see above 200 degrees in regular driving (this obviously depends on load, exterior temp, AC usage etc but even then over 200 is a sign of something not working right).

The mechanical fan is the BEST fan you can get, a well-maintained one will outperform 99% of the electric ones available. Make sure your shroud is intact. The black hub fan clutch is the best (came stock on the 93-94) however if you don't have that then you can get an Aisin blue clutch from rock auto, do not use any other fan clutch (parts store specials are an absolute no-no).

The OEM hubs are serviceable so don't toss the black one if you have it just because it's old. There is a thread HERE that is a step by step on how to upgrade (same process for servicing) a new blue fan clutch, it's the same process for the black clutch.

Last Major tidbits I'd like to pass along:

• YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD YOUR FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL RIGHT NOW and save a copy to your computer, your google drive, your wifes google drive, your kid's computer, send it to your secure server in Switzerland, etc etc etc. It's your bible, basically a step-by-step cookbook for your rig. Links below
  • YOUR FSM HERE (1994 FZJ80 FSM)
  • Your Transmission FSM HERE (A442)
  • Transmission Supplemental FSM HERE (A442)
  • The stock Toyota coolant is RED coolant, however, many rigs have been switched to green over the years. Either is FINE as long as you don't mix them.
  • Don't waste money on aftermarket non-toyota (OEM) replacement parts like bushings, motor mounts, etc etc. They won't work and you'll waste money, sounds crazy but that's the reality. There are plenty of vendors here that will hook you up with at-cost OEM parts.
  • Lastly, spend a couple of hours digging through this post; 80-series FAQ for General Info, Modification and Repairs
  • Don't keep a list of what you spend on your rig, god forbid your wife finds it.... ask me how I know

welcome to the addiction
Haha! Love it, thanks guys. Picking it up tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom