Builds Building the BJZ43 = FJ43 + FJZ80 + BJ75 :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just jumping back a few posts I had some questions about the actual shortening the chassis. When I was doing it I had some time constraints and funnily enough didn't really stop to take pictures ( one of the downfall of a smart phone not what you use when you have a leather apron and gloves on lol ) . Anyway I will try and explain it a bit better.

I cut the chassis on a bent part of the chassis and this means nothing would line up. I didn't really care as I was planning on sectioning and boxing. Now it is important to understand you can not MAKE steel so you will always end up with multiple joins and wedges. That is why when I section something like an 80 series chassis which is boxed I always box it as it allows me to get the strength back and spread any fatigue over a larger area.

To box you need to be careful you don't distort or twist so you need to have a weld process and evenly apply welds to pull and push. Again with the 80 series chassis that thing is rock solid so you have very little issue.

I did find one picture of it when I had pulled it in which should show you what it looked like. I then slip internal plates in and weld them then add external plates.

you can see some square plates welded on to hold it and keep it in place. These get removed and where for alignment control while I moved it.

I then draw up the section I want and make some 3/16 plates to box it in.

I literally use the picture profile to trace and scale and then cut that on the plasma, that is why i took the picture.

Having the plasma means I am not constrained to easy shapes so I can just trace the rail profile.

View attachment 2100248

View attachment 2100252

View attachment 2100253

View attachment 2100254

View attachment 2100255
A master at work

I was kind of wondering too.

Wow! If I ever get back out there I'm going to have to arrange a visit!

I have a spare 80 frame that isn't too rusty, and haev always wanted to stretch my 40. If my present situation funds the fab tools I've always wanted to own I may slightly follow your path.
Matt
Brad did the wiring on my piggy. He’s got a pretty sweet shop.

@YoYoHo @BarnFab Brad, have you made anymore progress on this project?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom