Building a "Factory" Tachometer for the FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found an Autometer 5000 rpm tach. Looks as Close to stock without the silver bezel.

I was looking on adding the tach and saw this Autometer one as well. Previous owner installed a temperature gauge in the dash which is about 2 inch dia. I thought this would work. and its 5000rpm vs often 7000 or 8000rpm.

It's 2 1/16"

Don't know what the stock tach measures. Can anyone share their diameter of stock tach?

Not that it really matters, it's close enough for me. I will eventually get this I think and have a square aluminum bezel made to fit around it. Don't know how much that would cost though...

Dumb question

Has anybody seen one for a 24 volt system? If I can't find one I guess I can steal one out of some other 24 volt truck here. Lee

Hi Teebag
I have a bj tachometer and i need to install in my fj40.
Can you send me a fj60 tachometer with the rotated position for my bj tachometer housing.
Also need a tachometer and switch lamp template for cut my panel.
Thank you.

Benny

FJ40 Tachometer

Here is an option. https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandis...ters-your-40-series-landcruiser-fj-bj-hj.html
4k tach.jpg

I didn't know that FJs came with factory tach. In the absence of the factory unit this is where I mounted my Auto Meter tach:

_DSC0054.JPG

_DSC0055.JPG

It was a challenge installing it as there's a duct in the way behind the dash. I used heat to deform the duct to make room for the tach.

hello,

I just bought a tachometer HJ47 of 12 volts which is what I want to put on my HJ45

apparently you took the signal to the motor coil your FJ40 but in the case of a diesel is that I can find this signal?

excuse me for the translation is done with google translate

Last edited:
What are you looking for? I bought one from Mop Dog back when he was selling them. I can say that it still works after a few years and makes me smile. I do not like add on gauges unless they are OEM like or installed in a unique way. Check out my other gauges in the radio slot. The color is off on my spedo or tach since both have been repainted the photo makes it look worse. No issues with the light switch being moved down like other market had.

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

That is amazing. Exactly what I planned to do.
I was having Keith try to make one. Maybe I can have him contact you to get a few measurements?

What are you looking for? I bought one from Mop Dog back when he was selling them. I can say that it still works after a few years and makes me smile. I do not like add on gauges unless they are OEM like or installed in a unique way. Check out my other gauges in the radio slot. The color is off on my spedo or tach since both have been repainted the photo makes it look worse. No issues with the light switch being moved down like other market had.

View attachment 2093033

View attachment 2093034
What are these gages? They look like oil temp and battery?

Well the FJ40 never came from Japan with a revcounter fitted as standard, so my options were either to fit an after market VDO type gauge, that is marked to 8,000rpm and only use half the dial, or to try and source something more stock - Toyota-ish.

Now the BJ42LX did come with a nice little gauge, fitted just to the right of the gauge cluster in RHD markets, so the 1st step was to source one of these.

tp01.jpg

Via a contact on Mud we located a spare and collection was made by Keith during a business trip to Australia. Thank you Rob and Keith.

Problem is the tach in the BJ works via a magnet in the flywheel and a hall-effect sensor in the bell housing, kind of like an over grown bicycle computer. Well after receiving and testing the gauge on a friends BJ, I was in 2 minds whether to go to all the hassle to continue with the project...

Funny how ideas come to you at odd times, I am not sure what I was doing when my thoughts returned to the tach, and I remembered that my FJ60 had a small round tach in the centre of the gauge cluster, maybe it would work! After a few weeks we managed to source one locally and the project was back on track.

1st off get some snacks, can be hungry work ;)
tp02.jpg

FJ60 - Left, BJ42LX Right
tp03.jpg

FJ
tp04.jpg

BJ - ignore pen, it is wrong
tp05.jpg

FJ
tp06.jpg

BJ
tp07.jpg

tp08.jpg

tp09.jpg

tp10.jpg

These pins had to be removed with the Dremel in order to rotate the circuit board.
tp11.jpg

And the case modified slightly so it would all fit in its new home.
tp12.jpg

Nearly there
tp13.jpg

All done, bar a lick of paint on surround.
tp14.jpg

Just need to test it before I cut the hole in the dash, would hate to do that if it does not work, watch this space.
Lyk na biltong!

Years ago I was really focused on 40 series stuff and involved on here. I developed and built these tachometers. It was pre 3D printing and fast plastic everything. I ran into life and some very serious health issues. Subsequently I lost my ass on them. Things have thankfully improved. I’m gonna to live a while longer and want to finish the 1 40 I have left. That said I do not have time to deal with selling products. I have a big box of these bezels sitting around that someone who retails products could make some money on. PMs welcome. Price is very reasonable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That’s the link from the development of them.

I posted this in the classifieds as well. I hope the community here takes advantage of the opportunity to add a cool part to their rig, support a long time member who helped me, and hep donate to a good cause.

I have some exciting news. First I want to say thanks to Kraig for how great he has been through this process. Breckinridgecruiser has purchased all of the repro tachs I once sold on here and will at some point have them available for sale again. After designing them I was unable to deal with the demands of vending them due to some health issues and they were just sitting in my garage. Here is where things get amazing. As soon as Kraig is able to recoup his initial investment he intends to donate a portion of the remaining sales to charity. After winning a battle with Melanoma I suggested a cancer related charity but that is up to him. It’s a true win, win, win. He is a stand up guy and the cruiser community is lucky to have him. 🍻 to Kraig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom