Building a "Factory" Tachometer for the FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't even know if i could use a digital tach like that. Obviously it wasn't posted for me but personally I think it would be too different

Got mine off ebay austraillia!!! Super fun project/mod keeping it stockish, and unique!!

OK, stupid question time:

I'm finally swapping my tach over to a 2F one, and I am tring to figure out how to get that needle off. I see that you got the face and needle off in order to turn the circuit board, but how did you pry the needle out?:doh:

Josh

Last edited:
The needle just pulls off, takes a little effort.

You just rotate the circuit board, I took apart the fj tach first and compared the two, the fj tach is a tighter fit that the diesel tach, but it fits in.

The needle just pulls off, takes a little effort.

You just rotate the circuit board, I took apart the fj tach first and compared the two, the fj tach is a tighter fit that the diesel tach, but it fits in.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case with the needle, but I thought I'd verify before breaking anything.

Josh

All done. It took me a total of about 3 hours to do the swap (I already had the cut-out for my factory bezel with after-market tach) and it works great. I love things like that!!!:clap::popcorn: The cool thing on my 7/84 FJ40 LX is that the factory plug was there for the tach and all I had to do was plug the fittings together and everything worked. That leads me to believe that SOMEWHERE there is a factory FJ40 tach option.

Thank you guys for the help and ideas.

Josh

I just got a tach from AUS that I will convert using the tach from a HJ60 so it fits my HJ47 with a 2H in it.

When trying to take the needle of the bj42 tach, the shaft broke and the point on the needle too! The point was badly discoloured from sun exposure and the plastic very brittle. Fortunately I still have the HJ60 one...!

Nnevertheless it was an "oh sh*t!" moment. Gotta be even more carefull with the next one.

Found an Autometer 5000 rpm tach. Looks as Close to stock without the silver bezel.
2697_d.jpg

Found an Autometer 5000 rpm tach. Looks as Close to stock without the silver bezel.

Uh, yeah...but where did you find it, that always helps ;)
...Without jumping out of this forum to google something...

Last edited:
Does anybody know if this conversion will work on a Chevy 350.

I plan on making the conversion in the next couple of weeks I have all the required bits and pieces but have been led to believe it wont work.

If anybody has done this with a SB350 it would be good to hear. Otherwise I might have to go the VDO type gauge behind the factory face.

Thanks for your help.

Does anybody know if this conversion will work on a Chevy 350.

It looks like its fairly easy to modify the tach for 8-cylinder duty:

TOYOTA TACH MOD

I plan on making the conversion in the next couple of weeks I have all the required bits and pieces but have been led to believe it wont work.

What are you planning to use as a bezel? I love the look of the OP's tach, but can't imagine buying a non-US diesel tach just for the trim piece!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom