Build - Time for LS swap... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You’ll be fine. Bump up the line pressure too. I tuned mine in HPTuners basically mimicking the “tow/haul” mode along with the corvette servo.
Good tip basically leaving it tow/haul mode and line pressure. So with the HPTuners you didn’t have to send off your ecu to have them remove VATS, secondary O2’s, evap, etc.. you did it yourself correct? Sounds like I might go that route as well. I do have Fuel Injected Specialties here in San Antonio that has a very good rep with tuning and stuff.

Broken bolt removed and replaced with new M6’s. Pedal knocked off the list..

3B52DE08-9D8B-4C66-BF8C-3C6F171F7B6E.jpeg

55E12F1C-C4FE-4323-A2C0-7D030BCDB60F.jpeg

4BE76B11-BA35-492D-9468-052AC102957A.jpeg

Good tip basically leaving it tow/haul mode and line pressure. So with the HPTuners you didn’t have to send off your ecu to have them remove VATS, secondary O2’s, evap, etc.. you did it yourself correct? Sounds like I might go that route as well. I do have Fuel Injected Specialties here in San Antonio that has a very good rep with tuning and stuff.
Correct!

Now we have context. I can see going through 4l60e's with that kind of power, in that application. OP isn't going to have those troubles with a reasonably built transmission (but needs to understand that the 2/3 clutch packs don't last long).
Just a cam an nitrous plate system

78B3043F-E9E4-4976-A646-A3C01CE03E13.png

Now we have context. I can see going through 4l60e's with that kind of power, in that application. OP isn't going to have those troubles with a reasonably built transmission (but needs to understand that the 2/3 clutch packs don't last long).
Dad had trouble with his fac 99 5.3 Silverado never towed with it.I had an 04 tahoe no issues sold it with 204k miles.. towed a few cars with it. Had an 06 Tahoe never towed with it no problems with trans.. sold it with over 200k miles also but lc are heavier. The 4l60 is just a newer version of the 700. And I know they changed a lot over the yrs with upgrades

Last edited:
Did you kill all those 4L60E's because of heat? That's how I'd imagine they usually go. That and low line pressure.

I'm sure they don't like a lot of power at low rpm and I throw 600ft/lbs at mine in the 1600-1800rpm range. Most transmission guys don't even know how to setup the TV/kickdown cable correctly for them to maintain good line pressure in vulnerable areas.

I run my 700r4 with a manual lockup convertor for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Also upgraded 1st gear so it will hold and not shift to 2nd when trying to use the tranny for engine braking on steep grades in 4low.

Did you kill all those 4L60E's because of heat? That's how I'd imagine they usually go. That and low line pressure.

I'm sure they don't like a lot of power at low rpm and I throw 600ft/lbs at mine in the 1600-1800rpm range. Most transmission guys don't even know how to setup the TV/kickdown cable correctly for them to maintain good line pressure in vulnerable areas.

I run my 700r4 with a manual lockup convertor for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Also upgraded 1st gear so it will hold and not shift to 2nd when trying to use the tranny for engine braking on steep grades in 4low.
I’m not a transmission guy . But I’d say a lot had to do with the initial shock with the 175 hp nitrious ... I really like 2004R’s but they are crap stock. I get all billet parts put in them an rarely have any issues 500-600 rwhp in a 3,770 lb car. The best hd trans would be a th400 but then u loose od IMO

4l80E would be the best choice for a land cruiser Lsx swap .. it’s basically the th400 that’s really strong in old cars but updated to od .. hope this helps

58D6C553-6C2F-4988-99F5-52DC261C9F53.png

Sold car today so no more 4l60’s I got a six speed in my vert it’s low miles

You probably killed the 4l60(s) because they don’t like wide open shifting 2-3 shift. That doesn’t happen a whole lot in a land cruiser.
By wide open you mean like ~5,250rpms? That's interesting you say that either way. Mine doesn't like shifting at 3,000rpm with my Cummins.

When I was dialing in my line pressure to what I feel is healthiest I would always have to back out of the pedal when going WOT to get it to shift earlier and not hold the high revs and waste time before shifting. This was mostly the 3/4 shift IIRC. Not ideal, but the truck is faster and the tranny feels stronger with it set this way since I can feel the convertor locking up when mashing the throttle.

My max rpm stock is 2800 and mine is modded to go to 3300 so this is a whole nother ball game of factors, but nonetheless good info.

I have a 20k mile fac lq9 forsale no cam Intake paid 2300 I’ll sell for 2k plus shipping

That’s a great V8. I have that exact one in my old Yukon. It’s still frisky and plenty peppy around town. Not sure what your truck weighs but I’d guess less than GMT800 which means the swap should definitely speed your truck up. That engine is bulletproof, sounds great, and parts a plenty.

Let us know when u figure out the process I’m interested .. always been a gm fan until the dod deactivation .. sold my 06 Tahoe an got my lx

Mine was making a lil
Power err torque .. it was a reg z28 hard top so I got a ss aluminum drive shaft .. then that happens out the factory ss aluminum drive shaft. Put fac z28 steel drive shaft in no more problems... now ima Deff up grade my 23k mile ss

3437F5D0-722A-47F6-9931-B1747D86BDEB.png

Last edited:
More progress. Repositioned the fuel filter/pressure regulator to the firewall so I could add in a fuel pressure sensor. Most of the Holley harness mated to engine. Trying to figure out where to mount the ecu wheter in the engine bay or in the cab.
A12C9442-1A49-4971-B6A0-43D382BB1BAF.jpeg

In the process of learning to tig weld so I can make my own exhaust. Made the flanges that go from 2.25 to 2.5. Downstream it’ll open up to 3 from muffler on

DBAEE77E-C719-4F75-A69F-A02397CC3AB5.jpeg

front end almost back on. Center section is on just not in this picture
D542714B-E50F-4753-867D-97933BD1CE06.jpeg

Started to prime the engine, power steering fluid and connecting required wires for the Hollery Terminator Xmax setup. Question though, how did y’all do the +12v for the brake switch?

View attachment 2725020
Im not exactly sure I understand your question man. Can you be more specific? The brake switch has 4 pins. 2 pins are for the brake lamp, 2 pins are for torque converter lockup if I recall. If you are hooking up cruise control it will also need a brake switch signal. Also don't forget to connect a ground to the ground pin in the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission. That also has a aid in torque converter lockup if I recall. Although the holley terminator is probably completely different from what I did with the stock ecu. Mahle has a nice LS priming video on youtube. Did you intall a new oil pickup oring? If not you may need to do it in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom