Project "Sparkles"-1997 LX450 Gen V 6.2 Swap (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting this thread to document the parts, costs and work done, as fully as possible. Ill be adding info as I go along. Im doing all work myself except for the manifold back exhaust. Work will begin in March 2024 and be finished in time for our trip to Ouray in July 2024. This by no means the the only way to do this. It's just how IM DOING It so...yea.

I bought this LX in November 2022 (day one is the first pic). It was purchased from the original owner with 360,000 miles. Its factory "triple locked" and came with a ton of service records. A great start at $3500. Yes. $3500 for a rust free Texas one owner. SCORE.

I replaced all the leaky seals with a Wits End Kit (RIP), replaced the locker actuators and started on a few fun things:
OME J-Spring lift with their shocks, stabilizer and caster bushings.
315/75/16 Nitto RT's
Front and Rear Trail Gear bumpers. Added a winch and some Amazon lights up front and welded on a 4xInnovations rear swing out kit with table. (I can share more on that if anyone is interested)
I decided I hated puppies, ripped off all the plastic cladding and roof rack, filled all holes and Raptor coated the truck in Metallic Charcoal. It shimmered in the sun and my 5 y/o daughter named it Sparkles.

That brings us to now (Mostly). The 1FZ FE still runs strong and smooth but burns a little oil as to be expected. And the transmission is still strong as ever. But, we tow a 2900lb pop up camper. That with the weight of the truck and its gear leaves more power to be desired.

Wife gave her blessing and so the next stage begins.

I had originally settled on doing a LS but after some more digging I decided on doing an LT

I chose an L86 (6.2) mated to a 4x4 10L80. I like the power the L86 produces (420hp/460tq). That, plus the 10 speed will make sure its always in the sweet spot. The 10L80 also has a granny 1st gear (2nd for that matter) of 4.70:1 for 1st and 2.99:1 for 2nd. Compared to the A343F with a first gear of 2.80:1. Thats a final 1st gear crawl ratio of 48.09:1 with stock gears. (I think)

I discovered Torfab's 80 Series Gen V LT Kit. I cant speak highly enough of him. He answered tons of questions and was so fast to respond. His kit offers 100% bolt in application. You start with a 6.2 or 5.3 with a 4x4 10L80 or 8L90 and use his adapter to mate it with the LC80 Transfercase. You are able to utilize the factory oil pan and truck style manifolds. His kit also places the transfercase where the factory driveshafts can be used. Tor is also building me a custom fan shroud and mounting kit which will house factory style PWM fans that will be controlled by the Gen V ECM. I know Ill have great support once I begin the install.

I also ordered a factory Harness rework, Gen V DBW pedal, ECM Tuning and his "Muscle Car Module" from SwapTime. Mitch over there is a wiz with these things. He specializes in C10 truck conversions but he seems very interested in breaking into the LC world with these LT conversions.

INITIAL PARTS LIST
Gen V LT 6.2 & 10L80 4x4 from 2018 Yukon DenaliFacebook.$3000
Torfab Gen V LT Conversion Kit $2630
SwapTime (Factory Harness Rework, DBW Pedal, ECM Tune, "Muscle Car Module" $1460

MORE TO COME!!!

316089497_10161129033091264_1162673922607096660_n.jpg
380543201_10161813954776264_6871824790014932118_n.jpg

Last edited:
x2 on skipping that oil pan, you want the H3/Muscle Car pan.
I would also 100% absolutely skip anything made by FiTech.
Stock GM ECU will be much better for your uses.
Also make sure you know the difference between a 4l80e and a 4l60e, based on your parts list it sounds like there's some confusion there

x2 on skipping that oil pan, you want the H3/Muscle Car pan.
I would also 100% absolutely skip anything made by FiTech.
Stock GM ECU will be much better for your uses.
Also make sure you know the difference between a 4l80e and a 4l60e, based on your parts list it sounds like there's some confusion there
updaed the oil pan also, the tcase adapter link is being weird I know i need the 4L80 adapter haha

Why the hard no on FiTech? Seems very user friendly and well made

I've heard some complaints with FI tech customer service, but that has been a while ago now. I get the feeling the holley system has more support, but I haven't looked into it much. Tuning on the fly is a big advantage over the stock ecu. There was a stock ecu mod to make it tune on the fly but the guy retired. As far as tuning, with a gm ecu you go from a stock tune and modify from that. With a standalone you are starting from scratch. It says self learning, but my question is what exactly is self learning?

Parts listed updated:

Did some research and it seems the Holley Terminator X Max is the far better solution. Holley has much better customer service support and a huge following among muscle car enthusiasts. Meaning it also has a huge internet following and should be easy to find answers should an issue arise. For more reading on Holley kits check out LS1tech.com lots of great info.

$2,000 is a bit of a bite to chew on but i feel it will be worth it for the ease of use and support.

Holley is great but for what you are doing do you need a standalone? Stock Gen 3 PCM and a quality aftermarket harness would be half the cost.

Holley is great but for what you are doing do you need a standalone? Stock Gen 3 PCM and a quality aftermarket harness would be half the cost.
I like the ease of use of the Holley. I looked at a few aftermarket harnesses but none seem as easy to use. Plus, the support Holley offers seems to be unmatched.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom