Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ARB works….
I have seen more then My share of ARB locker issues, maybe some of you have had better luck with them then others.
What's for sure is you can't manually lock then.

BUT this isn't a thread about lockers!!

Right now it about running the Fordyce creek trail !!

I just got home and I well be sharing more pictures and videos of the trial soon.
It's a very beautiful and tuff trail.
If you into testing your Rig and driving skills this is the trail, if you worried about damage or get timid when the going gets tuff then you should likely look
elsewhere !!

Last edited:
Really looking fwd to seeing more of those photos. Gonna use em to convince a couple wagon buddies to run Fordyce.

1657892716603.png
1657892767635.png
1657892810457.png
1657892878892.png
1657892932545.png
1657892996323.png
1657893082541.png

Can't say enough about this trip. good friends, great scenery, both rig performed excellent on a very challenging trail.
1657893812380.png
1657893711007.png
1657893595718.png

@Broski, do you have a roll bar in your truck 😁?

Comparing your 80 to the 4Runner, besides weight difference, what would you say advantages and disadvantages be? Like leaf vs coil - just curious. Excellent pics!
I wheel with the 4runner all the time and there both very capable Rigs. One rig or the other has not been able to clearly out do the other.
Disadvantages of the 80 are its fat A$$ it's hard to fit in tight places. It's longer wheel base seem to be a advantage, and the coil suspension eliminate the wheel hop that leaf springs get.
I have got the weight of the 80 way down and it does not seem to be a factor. The auto trans also seem to work well rock crawling.
In the end a lot of it just comes down to personal preference 🤷‍♂️
I would also add that I put a lot into making my 80 work well as a rock crawler and a moderately built 4runner would walk all over a moderately built 80 JMHO :doh:

Last edited:
@Broski, do you have a roll bar in your truck 😁?
Fair enough question. and I think you know the answer NO, but the 80 has a very stout attached hard top. Still I would like to have some kind of a role bar.
But Lets be real, a 40 is a shot wheel base high center of gravity vehicle that is known to roll over easily !! The one that Cowboy45 drives has ZERO role over protection.
I have true concerns for his safety and not just being a smart ass.

Having lost two of my brothers to vehicle accidents the concerns is real.

I would beg you to put a role bar or at least a hard top on the Rig for the safety of your son!

Comparing your 80 to the 4Runner, besides weight difference, what would you say advantages and disadvantages be? Like leaf vs coil - just curious. Excellent pics!
Sorry Broski, not my thread, but I thought I would chime in :eek: I used to wheel an '84 mini-truck long bed (same as 4runner, just a few inches longer wheelbase). I think the mini truck is the overall more competent package, mainly due to smaller size. You can pick your line more carefully, whereas with the 80 you're often forced to take the only line where the truck will fit, regardless of whether there might be a boulder or stump in the way. With the mini truck, you might be able to drive around that stump. Coils certainly ride better than leafs, are a little more predictable and link suspension generally doesn't hang down in harm's way as much as leafs. However leafs can be selected/tuned to give balanced flex front and rear. All 80's with the stock radius arm suspension flex more in the rear and less in the front. The mini-truck also gives you the option to run dual transfer cases and/or 4.7 low range gears (potentially in both cases, although that would be nuts). 80 can't come remotely close to that kind of crawl ratio, but I personally never needed gearing that deep. Big advantage of the 80 is that it can wheel and eat up miles on the highway. The mini trucks have no power and just can't keep up on a modern highway. Also if you have a carbed version, they will stall out if you point them up a very steep climb. Challenging and a bit dangerous, lol.

/threadjack

Last edited:
Sorry Broski, not my thread, but I thought I would chime in :eek: I used to wheel an '84 mini-truck long bed (same as 4runner, just a few inches longer wheelbase). I think the mini truck is the overall more competent package, mainly due to smaller size. You can pick your line more carefully, whereas with the 80 you're often forced to take the only line where the truck will fit, regardless of whether there might be a boulder or stump in the way. With the mini truck, you might be able to drive around that stump. Coils certainly ride better than leafs, are a little more predictable and link suspension generally doesn't hang down in harm's way as much as leafs. However leafs can be selected/tuned to give balanced flex front and rear. All 80's with the stock radius arm suspension flex more in the rear and less in the front. The mini-truck also gives you the option to run dual transfer cases and/or 4.7 low range gears (potentially in both cases, although that would be nuts). 80 can't come remotely close to that kind of crawl ratio, but I personally never needed gearing that deep. Big advantage of the 80 is that it can wheel and eat up miles on the highway. The mini trucks have no power and just can't keep up on a modern highway. Also if you have a carbed version, they will stall out if you point them up a very steep climb. Challenging and a bit dangerous, lol.

/threadjack
All true.
Built correctly for rock crawling the 80 can hold it's own

I wheel with the 4runner all the time and there both very capable Rigs. One rig or the other has not been able to clearly out do the other.
Disadvantages of the 80 are its fat A$$ it's hard to fit in tight places. It's longer wheel base seem to be a advantage, and the coil suspension eliminate the wheel hop that leaf springs get.
I have got the weight of the 80 way down and it does not seem to be a factor. The auto trans also seen to work well rock crawling.
In the end a lot of it just comes down to personal preference 🤷‍♂️
I would also add that I put a lot into making my 80 work well as a rock crawler and a moderately built 4runner would walk all over a moderately built 80 JMHO :doh:
I noticed it was just the 2 rigs on this run. I wheeled an ‘81 mini for a few yrs (with my 80) and know 1st hand how capable and durable they are. But figured you 2 would have run sections where you chose different lines and it would make for awesome conversations about it around the campfire...lol. I’ve had my ‘94 for 24 yrs now and it’s like I can feel every bump, step up and twist that it makes on trails and obstacles. I preferred the mini for its agility, but there’s just something awesome with how a moderately built “fat A$$ed” 80 series can handle itself through knarly terrain. Maybe it’s just my age or full time 4wd or the auto tranny...:hmm:

At 4 minutes and 33 seconds in this video is where I hit the passenger rear quarter panel sustaining the only body damage on this trip ;)

Last edited:
Looks like a blast!!!!

I thought it was called rock crawling not tree crawling. That video is going to make some environmentalist nut job so mad lmao 🤣 🤣 🤣

Looks like a blast!!!!

I thought it was called rock crawling not tree crawling. That video is going to make some environmentalist nut job so mad lmao 🤣 🤣 🤣
It's really just the camera angle I'm really on a rock behind the tree 🤷‍♂️

I wish I could have made it!! Good stuff man.

It's really just the camera angle I'm really on a rock behind the tree 🤷‍♂️
Having just been through that obstacle, no you're not. But everyone else drives on it too

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom