Broke down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home, started hearing a clank, clank, clank. Sudden looks of power, pulled over, shut the engine off and looked underneath. This part was smoking. What is this part and what have I done? I'm a noob so fo easy ok n me. 1972 FJ40.

20211126_114922.jpg

Noobs rule the world!!!

the black thing in front of the aforementioned transfer case is the emergency brake (I think, I'm not exactly sure of the angle). Any chance the brake was on?

When you say loss of power, was the engine turning and you not moving? Or did the engine lose power?

The more detail, the more help.

Noobs rule the world!!!

the black thing in front of the aforementioned transfer case is the emergency brake (I think, I'm not exactly sure of the angle). Any chance the brake was on?

When you say loss of power, was the engine turning and you not moving? Or did the engine lose power?

The more detail, the more help.
I was driving about 55 mph when sudden loss of power. Pulled over immediately and looked underneath to see the tcase smoking. Ebrake was not engaged..

But, did the engine die? Or was the engine spinning happily while the 40 was not going anywhere?

It sounds like you either lost your transmission or your transfer case - and since the transfer case was smoking - that's the good first suspect. Do you have a good 40 mechanic in your area?

It sounds like you either lost your transmission or your transfer case - and since the transfer case was smoking - that's the good first suspect. Do you have a good 40 mechanic in your area?
I do. But why would the tcase crap out? I wasn't doing any offloadng. Can the tcase be rebuilt or just replaced? Is it part of the tranny and have to replace both? Is this a Toyota specific part? Easy to replace?

I’m guessing the t case has ho fluid (80W90 Gear lube). Either leaked out or into transmission. Check both fluid levels.

It can be rebuilt, but it takes someone who knows how. And, if it ran dry the bearings would go out and then some of the gears would eaten themselves. It wasn't off roading but time that got it.

So you are saying if it's only lack of oil, I might be able to salvage it?
Possibly. But without gear oil, a bearing likely seized and a bearing got chewed up.
You will know if you pull the plug and metal pours out with whatever oil is left.
Cruiser Outfitters has rebuild kit but you may also need a gear or two.
They are very easy to rebuild with basic hand tools and a torque wrench.

May have destroyed the transfer case. Fj40s break a lot, they are old. Hopefully you know of a good towing company.
they are old...but they only tend to break after they've been neglected a while...if taken care of, they are quite reliable.

Last edited:
"They are very easy to rebuild with basic hand tools and a torque wrench." And WITH A LOT OF VERY SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE. I would not attempt it if you are the NOOB you say you are.

The clunk clunk you heard before loss of power was almost certainly a gear failing. You won't know how catastrophic until it's torn down.

"They are very easy to rebuild with basic hand tools and a torque wrench." And WITH A LOT OF VERY SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE. I would not attempt it if you are the NOOB you say you are.

The clunk clunk you heard before loss of power was almost certainly a gear failing. You won't know how catastrophic until it's torn down.
Was the failure only to the tcase or possibly to the tranny as well?

Was the failure only to the tcase or possibly to the tranny as well?

Could be both, but the transmission/transfer case was notable for the seal between the 2 of them to fail. When that happens the oil in the transfer case would migrate to the transmission overfilling it as well. SOR has a simple kit to ensure oil levels, but, may be to late for you. 062-98

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom