Brake Peddle Goes From Squishy to Hard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
In the last 24hrs of driving my 80 it has had a weird braking problem. I’ll be driving and then need to brake and the peddle will be squishy, then really hard and I have to REALLY step on it to get it to slow down. It also does it from the beginning. Ex. If I’m coming to a stop light and start braking, it’ll be hard. I checked the fluid and it’s good. Could use a touch of brake fluid.

What year 80?

My money is on brake booster going out…

Replaced mine 4 years ago with aftermarket, just pulled that and went OEM when it started acting up again.

Booster.

I bought mine from partsouq. OEM

Booster.

I bought mine from partsouq. OEM
My money is on brake booster going out…

Replaced mine 4 years ago with aftermarket, just pulled that and went OEM when it started acting up again.
Well that sounds like a lot of fun lol. What makes you guys think that? Just to give me an idea.

Well that sounds like a lot of fun lol. What makes you guys think that? Just to give me an idea.
Based on the Trouble shooting tree given in the FSM.

Squishy then hard.

If it was hard, then squishy, that's entirely something else and your mother may have a word with you.

Based on the Trouble shooting tree given in the FSM.

Squishy then hard.

If it was hard, then squishy, that's entirely something else and your mother may have a word with you.
That’s a great place to look. I’m going to check that out

Hard pedal with reduced braking is the booster. They tend to be intermittent before total failure.
Yes it was very intermittent and then just as of yesterday before I parked it, it was happening a lot more often. Now I'm in my little red nova hatchback lol
I thought this said "brake pebble".
Carry on.
LMAO 😂😂😂
Partsouq or Cruiseryard which is a Mud vendor

Cool thank you, I had not heard of cruiseryard, always happy to help out the community! :cheers:

My 97 model FZJ80 recently did the same thing, intermittent hard brake pedal getting worse over a few days. Picked up a Seiken booster and getting ready to install it when I get a day off. There are a couple of small differences comparing the original 25 year old booster to the Seiken. The rubber dust seal on the shaft going rearward toward the brake pedal is of a slightly different design and there appears to be about one less thread on that shaft where the clevis screws onto. The stamped lettering however is exactly the same. The Seiken (from Partsgeek) did have a small ding on one edge of the booster case from rough handling/shipping but not going to return it, need the vehicle back in service. FWIW.

RTH

So I'm here with my LC in my grandmas garage. Decided to take a look at the FSM like @BILT4ME mentioned. I took a look at the Brake Booster Assembly portion and under Operation I did the 2 test to see if the booster has vacuum. I ran the LC for 2 minutes then shut it off. Started depressing the brake 7 times and each time after the 1st press, it gradually rose. Then on the 2nd test I started the LC and depressed the brake and shut it off. Help it down for 30-40 seconds and the brake pedal didn't move at all.From those test from what I'm understanding, is the brake booster seems to be okay at this point. Whats everyone else's thoughts?
tempImageK2foCF.jpg

Again my money says brake booster is going out….. Mine would act up similar to your description “hard pedal little braking action” off and on.. Never fully failed but when it decide to play that game coming down a mountain trail with the family in the car I’d had enough and simply replaced.. Works great now !

With the truck off, pump the pedal until it's hard.

Hold foot on pedal, start truck. Pedal should go down.

Okay so time for another update. I noticed that the brake booster has been replaced, it isn't solid black like the OEM ones and there a QR code own the side of it. I took the vacuum line off of the booster to see if there was vacuum, which there was. So now at this point its seeming like the Brake Booster is not the problem.

Okay so time for another update. I noticed that the brake booster has been replaced, it isn't solid black like the OEM ones and there a QR code own the side of it. I took the vacuum line off of the booster to see if there was vacuum, which there was. So now at this point its seeming like the Brake Booster is not the problem.
Check the hoses at the corners and intermediate by the axles. Look for cracks, balloons, leaks.

Look for wet calipers.

Again my money says brake booster is going out….. Mine would act up similar to your description “hard pedal little braking action” off and on.. Never fully failed but when it decide to play that game coming down a mountain trail with the family in the car I’d had enough and simply replaced.. Works great now !
When I went to go move the LC into the garage from the side of the house, it was consistent hard brake pedal with hardly any stop. Didn't go above 5mph. I've been in talks with my dad because he's worked on all sorts of rigs his entire life and he doesn't think its the booster because the 3 test I did tell us that the booster has vacuum and is working.
With the truck off, pump the pedal until it's hard.

Hold foot on pedal, start truck. Pedal should go down.
So I just tried this, my pedal was already hard from pumping it before. But I still held it down and started it. The pedal didn't move. So I turned it off, pumped it and then held it again. Pedal didn't go to the floor, released it and then pushed again, then it went to the floor.

Check the hoses at the corners and intermediate by the axles. Look for cracks, balloons, leaks.

Look for wet calipers.
I'll check that now, but my reservoir hasn't shown any signs of missing brake fluid. Also, all 4 corners have brand new OEM brake calipers. The LSPV was also replaced with a brand new OEM one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom