Replacing rear flexible brake hose, hard line nut deformed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So just passing this on in case anyone else runs into the same problem, a deformed original brake hard line nut that would not thread into the new flexible hose. I had this happen in the past with a front caliper hard line nut, in that case I had to replace the short hard brake line going to a front caliper.

I fought with this one (trying to get the nut threaded into the hose) for awhile before coming to a decision point, try to fix the deformed/flared nut or replace the hard line, so went with sanding the nut tip and flared hose tip with Emery cloth until it fit.

So someone might wonder if the flared tube will still seal after sanding the nut and tube?? Answer IMO is there are plenty more threads on the nut so it can be tightened further in a thousandth of an inch or so to squeeze everything back together again.

Long Story:

I decided to replace both rear calipers because the old ones were the originals, had likely been fully extended for years, the pistons were developing significant corrosion, and when they were first bled (new to me FZJ80 at the time), rusty sludge came out. Likely that the PO had never bled the brake system.

So when I went to install the flexible line on the right rear, something that should take maybe 15 minutes, I couldn't get the nut threaded into the hose.

Tried all the usual tricks, making sure the hose and nut were lined up, checked the threads of both the nut and the hose, etc,etc. all the while brake fluid is dripping on my newly painted dust shield so took some close-up photos of the flared tube end and the nut then studied them.

The photos tell the story:

This is how it started, the unthreaded tip of the original hard line nut was deformed (from being compressed) along with the tubing flare a bit squished. IMO it was the deformed nut tip that prevented the nut from seating properly into the hose union which then wouldn't allow the threads to line up.

FZJ80 right rear brake hard line and nut 2.jpg

Next shows both the hard line nut and hose fitting; note that the hose clip was removed when attempting to thread the nut into the hose. Not shown was a test fit of the hose while loose ie: not in the bracket, just to see if I could thread them together after sanding the nut tip

Click twice to magnify, note the tip of the nut is flared from compression:
FZJ80 Right Rear brake hard line nut.jpg

I ran a M10 x 1mm cleaning tap/thread chaser (non-cutting) into the hose fitting to ensure the threads weren't buggered, they weren't:
FZJ80 right rear flexible brake hose threaded end.jpg

Next photo shows the unthreaded tip of the nut after sanding around the flared lip for at least a few minutes with Emery cloth. Hard to tell at first glance but the flared edge or rim has been taken down a bit (compare to the first two photos above).

Trivia: the Q tip with some of the cotton removed was shoved into the tubing to stop the flow of brake fluid but still allowed me to sand the lip of the nut and the squished flared tube end.

Click twice to magnify for a closer look:

FZJ80 rear brake line nut after sanding unthreaded tip.jpg

A couple of tips when replacing the caliper flexible brake lines (hoses):

Always use a second wrench on the old hose fitting when removing the hard line nut (use a 10mm flare nut wrench for the nut). This prevents you from putting too much strain on the hose bracket. For the rear brakes that bracket is spot welded to the dust cover. Penetrating oil can help break the nut loose, or even a few seconds of heat from a torch (carefully) as a last resort (protect rubber bits and wires). Everyone has their own tricks to get things unstuck, what I do is spray in quick succession penetrating oil after light heating ie: not red hot. Idea is to heat shock the fasteners a bit but also hoping to help pull some penetrating oil into the threads. IDK if that makes sense but it seems to work.

IME there are a couple of different methods (sequence of steps) to go about installing a new brake hose, but most include not installing the clip until the nut gets started into the line. This helps to line up the hard line nut and hose a bit easier.

Another method (what I did) while working on the rear calipers is to also not connect the banjo fitting end of the hose to the caliper until I got the hard line nut started into the hose fitting. Of course the hose has to be inserted into the hole in the bracket before you attach the hard line.

Then I connect the banjo bolt (torque to 22 ft lbs if you have a torque wrench and short 14mm socket that will fit) using two new copper gaskets.

You do have to ensure you don't twist the flexible hose when you install it, that's one reason there are "fingers" on the caliper to hold the caliper end in the correct orientation. But there's also a straight line of lettering printed on the hose to help visually check that it's not twisted during installation.

Last photo shows the right rear brake flexible hose being attached to the caliper.

Photo taken to ensure both copper gaskets ("Packing, Union") are still in place before tightening down the banjo bolt. I used a very slight smear of thin but tacky cavity wax to help hold them in place during assembly.
FZJ80 right rear brake hose banjo bolt with copper gaskets.png

After the banjo bolt is tightened down I go back and finish tightening down the hard line nut (use a wrench on the hose fitting also), then last attach the clip by sliding it down over the hose fitting and tapping it in place while holding some downward pressure on the hose against the bracket.

Last edited:
Some part numbers (97 US Spec FZJ80) for anyone doing a complete rear brake job:

42431-60171 Rear Disc (Rotor, disc brake models, one each per side)
47730-60070 Right rear caliper
47750-60070 Left rear caliper
04492-60020 Rear Disc Brake Pad Set: (one set does both sides)
04946-60010 Shim Kit,Anti Squeal: (two kits required)
04947-22050 Fitting Kit, disc brake: (one kit good for both sides)
90947-02614 Right rear flexible brake hose
90947-02615 Left rear flexible brake hose
90947-02A17 Flexible hose, rear brake tube (body to rear axle)
90401-10015 Bolt, Union (Banjo): (one each per side)
90101-12167 Bolt, Hexagon (Rear Caliper) (two each per side)
90430-10074 Packing, Union (copper gasket): (two each per side)
90468-08034 Clip (for caliper hoses): (one each per side)
47491-22020 Plug (rubber), Shoe Adjusting Hole for Parking Brake: (one each per side)
04477-60010 Bush and Boot kit, LSPV

Notes:

If you need to replace the boots and hardware for your LSPV (Load Sensing Proportioning Valve) you'll need the Bush and Boot kit: (this only contains the external parts for the assembly, no internal parts and not the long rod or "spring")

The Shim kit comes with 2 shims and 2 pad wear indicators, so you need two Shim kits when replacing all the rear pads.

The Fitting kit comes with 8 pad support plates, enough for both rear calipers. Often the old plates can be cleaned up and reused if not corroded or damaged.

Note that the axle to body hose clip has a different part number.

Search terms:

Complete Rear Brake Job Service Part Numbers

Last edited:
So someone might wonder if sanding a deformed brake line nut or flared tube end down a bit could make that much of a difference in fitting the nut into the brake hose fitting?? I actually wasn't sure it would work at first and if it hadn't the next step would be to replace the hard line and nut (or at least the nut but easier to replace both). A lot more work, time, money.

Disclaimer: I'm not a machinist but found this video that illustrates the concept well how small size changes can make a big difference. Watch the whole thing if you're curious or start at 2:35 where he shows how one thousandths of an inch can be the difference between too tight, too loose, or just right:

Last edited:
Informative as always. Thank you.

When I replaced my rubber brake lines I had a similar problem. The hardline flares were slightly deformed and wouldn’t allow the nuts to thread on. I lightly filed the edges and everything sealed up. I was not happy, but it worked out.

@Kernal Amazing - thank you for posting this! I'm replacing all of my calipers/pads/hoses and encountered this issue with the right rear hose as well. The problem for me occurred when trying to remove the hard-line nut from the hose; I got within 2-3 threads of removing it but it just kept spinning. I broke out the Dremel and cut the hose where the clip passes through it. Then I removed that entire hard-line, put it in a bench vise and *very carefully* Dremel'd the remaining female hose fitting in two (and trying very hard not to go too deep and slice the threads on the nut).

I could not really see much of a deformity, but assumed the deformity was consistent (uniform) and started to gently file the flare edges as proportionally as possible. After a few iteration of file and test fit, it finally started to thread super-easy into the hose. Whew!

Thanks again for sharing this - it sure helped me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom