Builds Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

replaced the broken liftgate emblem last week. I think you can get an OEM one for a decent price from a couple sources but I got an aftermarket one from Venezuela. Overall the quality seems really good. One difference I have noticed is the chrome letters are not embossed like the OEM one.
Laser Lights. by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I've wondered about those "laser" lights. I was looking into getting some from King's (in AU), but they won't ship to the US, and I wasn't sure about the many Chinese versions of similar lights. I'm glad to see someone actually trying them out! :)

I've wondered about those "laser" lights. I was looking into getting some from King's (in AU), but they won't ship to the US, and I wasn't sure about the many Chinese versions of similar lights. I'm glad to see someone actually trying them out! :)
I'm pretty sure, from what I've been able to dig up, that the one's I got are the same as the Kings. Sounds like the place I got them is the supplier to Kings. Could be wrong but in my communication with CO Lights, they sound like they are the supplier. Who knows? Most of the Kings stuff is made in China anyway.

Decided to give some different lights a try. I've been really happy with the Hella HIDs I've had on the front bumper. I've looked at several of the big name LED options. There are some great LED lights out there but I wanted to find something that had lower amp draw than the HIDs but also could match or improve on the distance of the beam that the HIDs had. All the common ones I looked at were good lights but couldn't quite match the distance of HIDs. So I never bought any.

In reality the distance is of the well known LEDs are more than adequate for most driving and I don't really see anyone "outrunning" the light of a good LED. But.......being spoiled by the distance of HIDs I wanted as a light that would throw a beam as far as possible since it's so nice to be able to see an extra 200-300 yds when driving fast at night. Driving fast in the dark means you are usually driving the highest speeds on longer straightaways. Being able to see and anticipate a turn a few seconds earlier at those speeds is nice and just makes it more relaxing and not so "white knuckled" to drive fast at night.

I stumbled onto some LED lights that caught my attention. Yeah, they are a Chinese product from LED COLight, and I was skeptical to purchase but what really caught my attention was the large projector lens in the center that has a laser module instead of an LED. The rest of the LEDs are OSRAM LEDs which have a good reputation. They were advertised to have a spot beam from the laser with an advertised distance of 2000 meters! The rest of the LEDs in the light are more of a flood pattern so there is still a lot of useable light besides the tight beam from the laser. The price was reasonable enough to take a gamble on them.

The past few days with them has given me a few opportunities to try them out and I'm really impressed. I wasn't given a deal on them and paid full price so I have no reason to artificially positive about them. I got a pair of the 9" model. They have much farther distance than my HID's. The laser has a VERY tight beam pattern, but the surrounding LEDs do a nice job of giving some good light in more of a Eurobeam pattern. I haven't ever had a light penetrate fog like these do. I'm looking forward to getting out to the desert away from the snow and see if they penetrate dust as well as they do fog. So far, I'm really happy with them. They have a 2year warranty, and hopefully they are durable. The quality seems very good, and the packaging was very nice like you'd expect from a top tier product. The 9" ones I got came with 3 colored translucent "halo rings" (red, blue, orange) that can be changed. I wasn't particularly stoked about any of the rings but knew I wouldn't use the Blue ones so I painted them a graphite color. It's more subtle and I like the look better than with the colored rings.

If I were to say anything critical at this point, it would be that I wish they came with a lens protector/stone guard. They do not but I've been in contact with the company and have requested some and they are looking into it. We'll see if anything comes of it.

You're aware that these pics are on their website, right? I assume that is your agreement with them? If not, better contact that attorney.......

You're aware that these pics are on their website, right? I assume that is your agreement with them? If not, better contact that attorney.......

I was not aware that they were using them on their website. I don't have an "agreement" with them. Just ordered them from their site, paid full price. Thanks for the headsup.

Did you send them the pics? Or are they that quick at scouring the interwebs?

After watching your video the light pattern looks very similar to my LP9’s with the exception of the super wide pattern the side lights throw from the LP9. I’m very happy with my choice.
The LP9 was one of the lights I wanted to compare specifically since I think the LP9 is a awesome light, which it is. I'm sure anyone with LP9's would be happy with them. From a brief comparison I did with a neighbor's truck that has some LP9s, (I'd like to do more out in the open desert) the Laser has a stronger center beam and farther throw. I agree the LP9 probably has better width from the side lights they have. They would be a great light for anyone that is only running a pair of LP9s. For me, I have other lights besides the two lasers that have a lot of width. In the video, I didn't turn any of those on so that the Lasers were more obvious. So just headlights and Lasers in the video. Again, nothing scientific and I want to head out in the desert with another truck that has LP9s to do more comparison. Maybe I can get @Dirty Koala to head out with me sometime soon since he has the LP9s on one of his 80s.

The single pair of lights was my goal with the LP9. While I’d love to throw a light bar on the roof it would be more for looks at this point. I don’t really wheel at night. Well not on purpose anyway. I’m sure more light up there would have an advantage at times. The LP9 lights everything you can see out the windscreen and half what you see out the driver’s side window. Side lights would probably be a better addition for me than more pointed forward.

There is simply no way I’m going to overdrive these lights in an 80 Series. I’ve crossed the Navajo Nation now twice with them in the middle of the night. They will light the centerline of the highway a mile out. Reflection back becomes your worst enemy. Large or multiple HWY signs can become blinding. Just the low beams are enough to light the road at posted limits.

Yep. I agree. Most decent quality lights give adequate distance for most drivers 90% of the time and the chances of outrunning them is very small. But I’ve enjoyed having the extra few seconds to anticipate turns/hazards.

I have been one click away from ordering the LP9’s several times. It’s a nice light. If for some reason these laser ones fail prematurely or break unexpectedly for no good reason, the LP9 will probably be the light I go to.

If for some reason these laser ones fail prematurely or break unexpectedly for no good reason, the LP9 will probably be the light I go to.
I would be Pretty upset if I payed $500.00 + for a set of light that Failed prematurely!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just Sayin

I was not aware that they were using them on their website. I don't have an "agreement" with them. Just ordered them from their site, paid full price. Thanks for the headsup.
Time to lawyer-up.

Time to lawyer-up.

Sorry to hijack, but didn't you have a similar issue with North Face taking one of your photos of your vehicle and turning it into a shirt?

Sorry to hijack, but didn't you have a similar issue with North Face taking one of your photos of your vehicle and turning it into a shirt?

I've had 5 instances that I know of. Who knows how many more are out. That's just how it goes in the digital world these days 🤷

0mGMKmFh.jpg

57GEgAmh.jpg

7Y5RBX9h.jpg

TNYDlTJh.jpg

0wwVBhjh.jpg

13jAJMnh.jpg

Did you have any luck with those?

Not really, never really did anything with them since from a legal perspective these would be considered derivative/transformative works and you really don't have any recourse. The NF shirts were being sold in Japan, not the US. In Japan, NF licenses their logos to a company by the name of Goodwin who designs a lot of other clothing. So they're free to make whatever designs they want with the NF logo. So good luck chasing that one down!

The one with the burgundy truck (company named Fripp) gave me some shirts and a few hundred bucks even though they really didn't have to. I don't think they're in business anymore, it was a fishing/outdoor company.

Trail Gear sent me a hydro assist kit after I complained to them. Actually they shipped me 2 kits by mistake, gave one to a buddy. This was probably the most annoying one since they could have easily asked for permission and I would have been okay with it. But the fact they jacked my picture and changed the color without asking and used it for an advertisement.

The black hoodie is some guy on IG by the name of @illinoisebro. He's from Russia and has a ton of other LC clothing. Many of those are built rigs so I'm sure he stole the design from other people's builds.

The Play Store app is gone, so who knows about that one.

I think it's cool that people want to use my truck as artwork. But using someone else's work or photos for financial gain isn't cool - especially when it's done without permission or compensation.

A few years back @zeroack asked for permission to draw my truck and I thought it was awesome. I actually wanted to buy a full size print from him but we never connected again.

l2wAQalh.jpg

aAbEZYMh.jpg

Oh and here was another scumbag company using my photography for their advertisements, again without permission.

2Bf5wOTh.jpg

Last edited:
Not really, never really did anything with them since from a legal perspective these would be considered derivative/transformative works and you really don't have any recourse. The NF shirts were being sold in Japan, not the US. In Japan, NF licenses their logos to a company by the name of Goodwin who designs a lot of other clothing. So they're free to make whatever designs they want with the NF logo. So good luck chasing that one down!

The one with the burgundy truck (company named Fripp) gave me some shirts and a few hundred bucks even though they really didn't have to. I don't think their in business anymore, it was a fishing/outdoor company.

Trail Gear sent me a hydro assist kit after I complained to them. Actually they shipped me 2 kits by mistake, gave one to a buddy. This was probably the most annoying one since they could have easily asked for permission and I would have been okay with it. But the fact they jacked my picture and changed the color without asking and used it for an advertisement.

The black hoodie is some guy on IG by the name of @illinoisebro. He's from Russia and has a ton of other LC clothing. Many of those are built rigs so I'm sure he stole the design from other people's builds.

The Play Store app is gone, so who knows about that one.

I think it's cool that people want to use my truck as artwork. But using someone else's work or photos for financial gain isn't cool - especially when it's done without permission or compensation.

A few years back some guy asked for permission to draw my truck and I thought it was awesome. I actually wanted to buy a full size print from him but we never connected again.

l2wAQalh.jpg

aAbEZYMh.jpg

Oh and here was another scumbag company using my photography for their advertisements, again without permission.

2Bf5wOTh.jpg
Gotcha. I've had similar experiences with different companies/individuals. Have had artwork, photos of my truck and other photos I've taken used for advertising and marketing more times than I can keep track of now. Most of the time it's not worth the hassle and cost of legal action. Complaining to the offending company enough will usually result in them trying to compensate with product or cash in some cases, or they will just stop using it. That's all assuming they actually respond to complaints.

The drawings are pretty nice. Glad he asked permision and it's too bad you weren't able to buy a print from him. That would be pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom