Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_2547.JPG
I bought an extra oil pan, please re-emphasize my emphasis on the totally committed list

Might take a few days but that should buff right out

My wife is super excited for the turbo, after 2 trips she is already tired of going over mountain passes at 35 mph!

Not that it will replace or equal a turbo but 2nd gear does wonders on the hills.

Not that it will replace or equal a turbo but 2nd gear does wonders on the hills.

def does, but 2nd gear about 3500 rpms I get just over 40mph, don't like pushing to much harder..... hoping the turbo will allow me to hold third gear around 3000 rpms and maybe 55-60mph!!!! I live in the middle of the rockies, any direction I go I have to climb

Driving from Grand Canyon to Virginia, when I came over Eisenhower, I never left OD, and did 70+ the whole way over.

def does, but 2nd gear about 3500 rpms I get just over 40mph, don't like pushing to much harder..... hoping the turbo will allow me to hold third gear around 3000 rpms and maybe 55-60mph!!!! I live in the middle of the rockies, any direction I go I have to climb

I can echo Ryan's comment. The turbo makes I70 a breeze. It's really the only reason I wanted one in the first place. I could hold the speed limit, or even accelerate on all the grades, Floyd Hill, Eisenhower, Vail Pass, without using 2nd gear and only occasionally dropping into 3rd.

I can echo Ryan's comment. The turbo makes I70 a breeze. It's really the only reason I wanted one in the first place. I could hold the speed limit, or even accelerate on all the grades, Floyd Hill, Eisenhower, Vail Pass, without using 2nd gear and only occasionally dropping into 3rd.
Amazing. Driving around Durango I just have to chill in the slow lane and hope I'm not "that guy" holding up traffic on the 2-lane parts.

Went camping with a bunch of Pink Panty LX470s (or are they LX570s?) and I tell you what, the 80 definitely slowed the group down on the hills at around 6500' elev. In an ideal world, it'd be nice to have a turbo power w/o the EGT, boost and other gauges added. Just wanna flog the thing w/o worrying about gauges.

So in response to the 470/570 comment above... I own a recently rebuilt 80 series (95), a 100 series (02), and USE TO OWN a LX-570 (10). The HP provided by that 5.7L blew away both the 80 and the 100, but with a full rebuild, the 80 is not so different from the early 100s 4.7L V8.

I do miss that 5.7L in the mountains here in Idaho.

I do think that this turbo add-on will make the 80 much more fun to drive at elevation and on those long hills! Very excited about when the whole thing is packaged up and available. With that said.... I may be replacing my 80's brake master cylinder and booster next week, so the funds seem to keep trickling out on this thing!

All good until a bear walks across the interstate in front of two motorcyclists, then the motorcyclists stop and get hit by a tractor trailer, which explodes, shutting down the I-70 for hours ! True story bro ....

You forgot the bus load of nuns.....

All good until a bear walks across the interstate in front of two motorcyclists, then the motorcyclists stop and get hit by a tractor trailer, which explodes, shutting down the I-70 for hours ! True story bro ....

I been fallowing this tread for a while now, can't wait when final product will be finished (I am not 100% on board, so I will wait and see what evolves). Just have a quick question: Initially the turbo suppose to be easy install with small boost of up to 5 psi or so with quick installation and removal just in case there is a smog requirement etc., with optional installation of the intercooler. Now I see in wonders in direction of more complicated setup with water cooling system which in my eyes adds complexity to the system. Am I looking at this setup wrong? Are those extra parts, and options for more advanced setups at extra additional cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom