BJ73 radiator part number (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cob

Threads
Hi, I am looking to replace the radiator on my BJ73 with 3b motor and can't seem to get right part number or find the right radiator the one I always find has the inlet and outlet on the wrong side they both need to be on the left and no radiator cap either.

No how do I go about that I'm new here

Cheers I'll see if I can get a part number I'm Australia probably a bit pricey for shipping

It is discontinued from Toyota.

Aftermarket iterations only at this point.

Shipping would kill on something like this. Best to get locally in Australia.

Cob I'll go down and check Monday for you. Used to work at Toyota so the boys locally let me just use the micro at system when I want. I'll grap a print out too and post it online

HZJ7x radiator fits but the bottom hose is on the other side. It's cheaper and slightly larger. HDJ7x radiator is taller again and should fit. You would have to run a hose to the other side and extend your fan shroud + get the cap sealed but it'd make a good upgrade and they're much easier to find if you mangle one on a trip. You could to get your BJ bottom tank swapped onto a HZ/HDJ radiator but you might run into clearance issues with the steering dampener, I haven't checked.

The HZJ radiator is the same width and mounts but is taller, the extra height is added at the base so it hangs lower. From what I've read the HDJ shares the same mounts but I haven't personally measured. The HDJ radiator is around 4" taller than the BJ one.

I plan to run a HDJ79 radiator in my BJ73.

16400-58160 factory part. it supersedes to anther part n#

HZJ7x radiator fits but the bottom hose is on the other side. It's cheaper and slightly larger. HDJ7x radiator is taller again and should fit. You would have to run a hose to the other side and extend your fan shroud + get the cap sealed but it'd make a good upgrade and they're much easier to find if you mangle one on a trip. You could to get your BJ bottom tank swapped onto a HZ/HDJ radiator but you might run into clearance issues with the steering dampener, I haven't checked.

The HZJ radiator is the same width and mounts but is taller, the extra height is added at the base so it hangs lower. From what I've read the HDJ shares the same mounts but I haven't personally measured. The HDJ radiator is around 4" taller than the BJ one.

I plan to run a HDJ79 radiator in my BJ73.
Do you know if the HDJ 7* radiator will fit into the HZJ75 RV ?

I am going to have to replace my 1988 BJ73 radiator and found these two options. Both appear identical (except the price). One Ebay and one Amazon. I noticed niether appear to have a petcock or any kind of drain.
Screenshot_20191205-082131.png
Screenshot_20191205-082103.png

Anyone have any experience with these? There was one positive review on the fleabay one.

My other question is, if I got mine cored, the orientation of available four cores is oriented 90° from the oem. Meaning the water moves up and down rather than horizontal. I am curious, given the inlet and outlet are on the same side on the BJ73 rad, if the 4 core would not be terribly efficient and coolant would not circulate through the entire core.
Thoughts?

They look identical?
They look absolutely identical. Close examination reveals that they are likely even the same photo.
Just curious if anyone has used one.
I get nervous dropping a couple C-notes on Chinese car parts when they are something that the car depends on to operate.
And then there was the question about just coring my OEM one.

They look absolutely identical. Close examination reveals that they are likely even the same photo.
Just curious if anyone has used one.
I get nervous dropping a couple C-notes on Chinese car parts when they are something that the car depends on to operate.
And then there was the question about just coring my OEM one.

Or having Ron Davis make you a new custom radiator. Another option for a bunch more C-notes. :lol:

I am going to have to replace my 1988 BJ73 radiator and found these two options. Both appear identical (except the price). One Ebay and one Amazon. I noticed niether appear to have a petcock or any kind of drain.
View attachment 2149468View attachment 2149469
Anyone have any experience with these? There was one positive review on the fleabay one.

My other question is, if I got mine cored, the orientation of available four cores is oriented 90° from the oem. Meaning the water moves up and down rather than horizontal. I am curious, given the inlet and outlet are on the same side on the BJ73 rad, if the 4 core would not be terribly efficient and coolant would not circulate through the entire core.
Thoughts?

Chris,
For my BJ70s, I have had the radiators repaired at the local shop and they have done great. With you being local'ish in a few days, the same shop is available to you too.

While being conservative in nature, I also bought a used one from Joe Katena as spare. I had a chance to install the spare as a test and it performed great too. Lesson/confirmation for me- Joe picks quality used parts.

You may not need to buy a
pig-in-a-poke. Good luck

I have always liked the idea of an aluminium radiator in a 7* series but there are just too many complaints about leaks etc.

Chris,
For my BJ70s, I have had the radiators repaired at the local shop and they have done great. With you being local'ish in a few days, the same shop is available to you too.

While being conservative in nature, I also bought a used one from Joe Katena as spare. I had a chance to install the spare as a test and it performed great too. Lesson/confirmation for me- Joe picks quality used parts.

You may not need to buy a
pig-in-a-poke. Good luck
Thanks Larry. I will hit you up. We move down in January. The BJ is currently stored in a friends garage in Rome on a Battery Tender. As soon as I get it in the garagemajal I will check with you. We have a decent old school shop in Rome so I will check with them as well. Rome Radiator (very original); they have done me right in the past.

@roscoFJ73 - thanks for that feedback.

Thanks Larry. I will hit you up. We move down in January. The BJ is currently stored in a friends garage in Rome on a Battery Tender. As soon as I get it in the garagemajal I will check with you. We have a decent old school shop in Rome so I will check with them as well. Rome Radiator (very original); they have done me right in the past.

@roscoFJ73 - thanks for that feedback.

Chris,
One suggestion with the radiator repair shop path, have them take pictures before they start. When they rebuilt the radiator for the '86 BJ70, they confused themselves on reassembly by referring to FJ60 radiator pictures which were the only pictures in their catalog. This was easily corrected because I was able to walk them through it, but it meant rework (extra for them and delay in getting my radiator back for installation). But is was avoidable.
Good luck welcome back to the neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom