Best riding suspension for 33"-35" tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all, I'm new to the Cruiser. Here's my ride. I have not taken delivery. It's got 33x10.5 tires on the stock suspension. Am I headed for trouble or will it fly?
image.jpg

Hi all, I'm new to the Cruiser. Here's my ride. I have not taken delivery. It's got 33x10.5 tires on the stock suspension. Am I headed for trouble or will it fly?View attachment 891314
Likely ok on the street. However, I suspect you'd have tires rubbing off road or over large bumps.

Nice looking ride, BTW.

Curious about this as well. I'm runnig 33 12.5 currently with shackle extensions mostly rough road driving. Any tips on how to improve my rough ride??
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398960451.033654.jpg

SOA is the best way to get lift with soft ride. Soft mushy stock springs with stock shackles is a great ride.
Lifting with just shackles is okay, but the longer the shackles, the more you change the pinion angle and, in extreme cases, risk inverting the shackle when the springs unload.
Typically, lift springs are pretty stiff, so that they retain their arch.
You should match the spring lift with the right shackle.
Front shackle reversal is good for on road ride, taking some of the jarring out of the ride. The rock hangers style that has a 2" lift ( puts the front spring near where it would be with stock shackle ) is good for pinion and castor angle- no axle modifications required. But kinda sucks in the rocks. Running that with SOA is, in my opinion, too much lift. I had this set up on my rig for a while and it was okay- BTB installed.. When I went SOA, I cut it off and kept shackle reversal but mounted the springs up close to the frame.

SOA seems intimidating at first, but if your'e going for 4" of lift, it is by far the best way to go for a soft ride.

cheers-
Dustin

I just put a 2.5" OME lift with anti inversion shackles & 33's. IMHO it rides better than the stock suspension did.

...via IH8MUD app

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398980848.022199.jpg

I have a 77' FJ40 with a SOA, shackle reversal, custom springs, gears, and several other mods. Love it!!!
If I were to start over again I would go with a 33x9.50x15 set up with an improved suspension. I realize this doesn't answer your question but, keep it simple. You didn’t mention how you’re going to use the vehicle. I’ve put a ton of money and effort into putting on bigger tire. Check this link out first before you add a bigger tire.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/texican-albums-33x950x15-s.html

I have ome in the rear of mine, I bought mediums, but probably should have bought lights. Rides like a hay wagon until there is a couple hundred pounds of gear in the back... Cut wheel wells and no shackle lift.

Agree with the last post...I have mediums with hard top on and custom rear swing out bumper and still would prefer the lights. I started out with the heavy, took a leaf out and might take another.

Every 33 12.50 I've ever run on an uncut rear wheel well has buckled the sheet metal at the top of the well and usually at the rear. You can add
a bumpstop spacer to reduce the likelihood . I've never personally run 33 skinnies (9.5 or 10.5 wide) but I hear they will run without damage. I have to assume anyone running 33x12.50's without trimming the wheel well a bit either has stiff springs or isn't pushing it very hard

after 10 years I am still super happy with the ride/looks/performance of my OME suspension(with a leaf out of the rear) with 33x10.5's, there is nothing to complain about regarding the ride....to me its just perfect.

the wheel wells on my 40 were cut when I got it, and it came with 33x12.5s - 4" lift

now that I am running 315s with the same suspension, we have to cut the wheel wells some more

I am working on my 6th or 7th Land Cruiser out of Colombia. Losing track. allows me drive many different set ups including 7.50 x 16 tires on split rims and manual steering (32 inch high and I actually love it).

I bought this beige truck 1982 FJ40 that was already customized by the seller. The LOOK was incredible. Please consider going with 16 inch rims and metric tire sizes. allows more choices and narrower taller tires.

This had a Rough Country 4 inch lift on it and nitro shocks (nearly new one year old kit). Normal size shackles. The tires are 285/75/16 which is about 33 by 11 I think (narrower than 12.5s). Hercules MT. You can't beat the look on this truck for a taller non stock type truck. Here is the downside. To me it rode super stiff. could be the Rough Country kit have not driven the Procomp or the OME yet. Also the good looking Hercules tires were loud etc. Having said that maybe that is what some people want. It is FUN for short distances. Also the turning radius was terrible due to the tires. This truck got a TON of positive response.

pacho-82-fj40-dune-beige-0001.jpg

pacho-82-fj40-dune-beige-0007.jpg

However learning from that I tested some different options and we did a custom 2 inch lift with near new Monroe gas shocks ( I much prefer Tokico oil shocks honestly I think they ride better than gas but this truck rode so well I kept the near new shocks it had). We put this on an FJ43 which has the 5 inch longer wheelbase. We did custom 16 inch rims with traditional centers and hubcaps. 265/75/16 which is down a size from the 33 inchers. this is 32 by 10 inches a bit below the 33 by 10.5 everyone loves. This tire size in terms of driveability is the BEST so far I have found. not too big not too small. does not rub when steering even like the 31 x 10.5 x 15s do. Our lift is adding a leaf up front and in the rear plus some custom adjusting and slightly longer shackle. I think I have done 5 Land Cruisers so far and this one RIDES incredible. Steers perfect. need to drive it more but the BFG km2s seem perfect (super expensive). We replaced all the worn out rear leaves and basically the entire rear suspension.

IMG_5527.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

Now just for commentary I have now done 3 trucks with 16 inch rims and 7.50 x 16 bias ply tires. all standard no lift and Tokico oil filled shocks (Gabriel for the Land Rover Series). One FJ43 with power steering and the blue one here without. The blue FJ43 drives perfectly with 7.50 x 16s and steers super light even at parking speeds despite manual steering. Ride is not that bad (want to try 235/85/16 radials). If I had a manual steering FJ40 in the USA I would find some 16 inch splits or something decent and do 235/85/16s or 7.50s and keep the manual steering. very direct and light.

IMG_5022.JPG

The FJ43s ride better with the 5 inch wheelbase big time but I think staying narrower tire (like people are doing with the 33 x 10.5 x 15s which I do want to try) is the way to go.

So maybe if you are doing a black rim or a modern rim go with 16 for sure.

If I had a power steering FJ40 I would probably do a procomp 2.5 inch lift with 265/75/16s or the little bit bigger 33 x 10.5 x 15s on the hubcap rims.

After doing our custom lift I am getting the feeling that a lot of the USA kits are really marketing. I do need to drive the Pro Comp and the much loved OME kit too though as I have not tested them. The Rough Country may indeed just be cheap (I really think the shocks are the bigger problem).

All I can say is I have plenty of people that seem to want that lifted beige FJ40 I sold based on looks and I tell them if I do one in the future it will be 2 or 2.5 inch lift and 33s max but narrower!

Long answer but it a big issue and I spent 1000s of hours so far and wanted to share. the 265/75/16 is a really good all around size. A local tire guy down in Colombia recommended it to me.

Installed an OME 2.5" lift along with some 33x12.50 Goodyear Duratrac's this Summer....I don't wheel my rig. But the more I drive it (which is most every day), the better it feels! :steer:

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

Just go spring over, you will rub the quarters and the lip on the front fender if you use a 4 inch and run 35 inch tires if you wheel at all, if you just want it cool looking and drive to the camp ground on good roads any 4" spring under will work.

002.JPG

I ran a search but didn't find the answers I need.
I'd like to run 33"-35" tires on my fj40, without cutting the rear. Is that possible without lifting the thing so high it'll look silly?
Will a 2.5" lift clear 33" tires?
How much lift is necessary for 35" tires?
What type of springs do you recommend?
I want a fairly soft ride.
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Ski jacker 4ich works great for 33, 35. Running 35s now uncut fenders extended shackles in the rear. 33s fit easily

IMG_20230704_173225115.jpg

I’d get another set of Alan springs again if I were going that route. The set that I had handled beautifully, both with comfort and control.

I’d get another set of Alan springs again if I were going that route. The set that I had handled beautifully, both with comfort and control.

Do you recall approx what you spent to go that route?

Do you recall approx what you spent to go that route?
I paid $500 24 years ago and they are still in use on another Cruiser. I have no idea what they are selling for today. They were worth the money. I’ve had Skyjacker and OME and the Alcan’s never needed to be broken in and the flex was amazing. I’d still be using them had I not switched to coilovers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom