Best riding suspension for 33"-35" tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ran a search but didn't find the answers I need.
I'd like to run 33"-35" tires on my fj40, without cutting the rear. Is that possible without lifting the thing so high it'll look silly?
Will a 2.5" lift clear 33" tires?
How much lift is necessary for 35" tires?
What type of springs do you recommend?
I want a fairly soft ride.
Thanks in advance for your advise.

Will a 2.5" lift clear 33" tires?

yes

How much lift is necessary for 35" tires?

4"

What type of springs do you recommend?
I run skyjacker... i think they are pretty good... mine are very soft... but they also have over 100,000 miles on them :)

many people like OME

What ever springs you get.... they will need time to break in

I have a 2" (50mm) lift running 33" tires and previously ran 33x12.50 (PO put those on) and 33x9.50 tires with the stock springs.

Remember the lift you will get from lift springs may be greater than the measurement listed as your stock springs may have sagged. I know mine had.

As for springs I have the Ironman kit and am using the shackles from Mark's Off Road. Ended up with longer shackles in the rear to level the truck. 33's fit just fine. I think any more than the 2" lift would look odd.

And yes the springs need time to break in.

Have you taken a ride in anyone elses lifted 40? I ask, since everyones idea of soft is relative. If your looking for a "car like" ride 97% of the leaf springs readily avail are out of question. Alcan, http://www.alcanspring.com/ , will make custom springs for your application in the inch/lb spring rate requested. There are other custom spring vendors, but all have their price. The other option is to look at coil over suspension, but again you can sink quite a bit of money into it fast.

I got a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires and I think stance is perfect. My springs are hell creek and from what is can tell by them not being broke in yet is the ride on the road is smothe from the front but the back is stiff and wants to bounce over really rough sections of road

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD
image-747751616.jpg

I asked this in another thread but didn't get a good answer. I've also searched, but haven't really been able to find much either. So what setup would you need to run to be able to clear 35's without cutting the rear fenders/quarters I want to run some sort of 4in sua lift kit. Would you have to run some kind of extended shackles and longer bump stops as well so you won't have to cut the rear fenders? If so, what kind? Also any recommendation on which lift kit to use? I've read old man emu is really good, ccot's hell for stout doesn't look bad, and I've seen hell creek is decent as well. Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated and needed.

-Brysen

some notes on lifts i have picked up, but i am not experienced in the subject at all:
-you need at least a 4" lift for 35's, as said above
-you will want to at least center the rear wheels in the rear wells, which i believe means extending the drive shaft
-cutting the rear quarters on any car for any reason always ends up looking dumb in my opinion. make it your last resort. i would go higher lift before cutting.
-as per fast eddy, and i agree, the best kit is not a kit but an amalgamation of parts. bilsteins and alcans are the best money can buy.
-you want as much lift coming from your springs, not your shackles.
-any lift requires extending the bump stops so you dont destroy your shiny new shocks

Many folks against shackle reversal, but I had 4" spring lift up front first and then changed to 2.5" spring with the shackle reversal (still keeping the 4" lift). The rear 4" spring still bucks over bumps, but the front is greatly smoothed out and drives nice.

best riding will probably be coil suspension, you opened a can of worms

go soa and be done

hahaha

Best riding suspension probably involves airbag springs, or so I've heard. I'm playing with putting these in my project. Excellent ride, adjustable ride height, forced articulation, but can you say 'major modifications'?

SOA!!
All the way, if keeping leafs.

I'm running OME Dakar FJ60 4" SUA rears up front and 4" lift Blazer rears SUA in the rear of my 40. Rides like a Caddy and flexes awesome.

I put on ccot's 2.5 *** for stout springs with 33/10.5/15 BFG's SUA. Very sweet looking. It'll take a little time to break them in, but not expecting any car like ride either. Figure it's the nature of the beast!

Big Dawg

Got a pic you could post? Trying to decide myself between 2", 2.5" or a 4" lift.

Last edited:
4 inch HFS springs with 35's and longer shackles. P.O. cut the rear fenders though. Rides and flexes awesome, better than my Tacoma does. Lift has only sagged about an inch in the 10 years its been on there. :cool:
user69981_pic20874_1323545557.jpg
kevin_lavarocks.jpg
0727131325.jpg

I really like my BTB 4" lift. I have 35"×12.50" tires, works great. I did the BTB shackle reversal also. Rear shackles are abou 1.5" over stock IIRC.

Posted via IH8MUD app
1389980392554.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom