Best place to get door glass for 63-74 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
My local glass shops can't find the glass on their computer, so for them, it doesn't exist.

I need a drivers' side door glass. The old one shattered. I'm rebuilding the door right now as well, and have all the old pieces glass out and cleaned out of where it was glued into the rail portion on the bottom.

Any thoughts as to where to get a replacement? I saw one advertised on CruiserParts.net, but no pic and I've mixed results from ordering stuff from them. No opposed to using them, but thought I'd check here first.

Thanks

left him a message. Thanks

you're in Durango?
could you drive to Poncha Springs? I would think Classic Cruisers has a stack of door glass

I’m out.

I'll be in South Fork on Wednesday. Not that far from there to Poncha Springs. I'm going to Vail in a few weeks as well and that's on the way.
I don't need it tomorrow so that could be an option. I'll give 'em a ring tomorrow.

I'll also plan on going by one of the glass shops tomorrow and saying "it's a piece of square glass." and seeing where that takes me.

Thanks for the tips

If you have your passenger glass out take it to the glass shop and they should be able to make a mirror copy for the drivers side. It's just flat glass.
I checked on getting a windshield cut here in Durango, which I believe is way easier to cut than tempered safety glass (not really possible), and was quoted $470. That's just the glass, not installed. So, Durango probably isn't the place to get glass cut.

@h82crash - that's ridiculous! Didn't have time to shop that rate locally, but I did reach out to Classic Cruisers in Poncha Springs. I hope to hear from them, but I'll definitely be going by there in early August to check it out. Great tip.

Tech Food for thought. If you have glass cut and it is even MARGINALLY THICKER than stock, you will have issues with binding in the weatherstrip. Ever since Toyota moved away from the dedicated C channel to the W type weatherstrip, there have been issues with the weatherstrip pinching the glass, leading to premature failure of the window regulator. So, fwiw, I think getting OE is important on this part.

If you find this tech useful, consider hitting the like button.😉

I called and emailed Classic Cruisers in Poncha Springs but didn't hear back from them. I ended going to $OR (gasp!) and found used OEM glass for $101. I bought a couple of other little things I needed as well. Shipping was $40, which kinda sucks, but it is a glass window.

$140 is more than I wanted to pay, but it wasn't an insane price and all my glass will still be OEM, which I like. Supposed to get her on Friday and then I'll have everything I need to rebuild my door.

If it's flat glass most well equipped professional glass companies can cut automotive safety glass if you can provide the old piece or an accurate pattern.

If it's flat glass most well equipped professional glass companies can cut automotive safety glass if you can provide the old piece or an accurate pattern.
Nope, not tempered glass they can't. It just explodes into thousands of pieces.

As mentioned by h82crash, heat treated glass (such as tempered glass) cannot be cut. Most automotive glass uses Laminated glass for the front windshield (which can be cut as long as neither of the 2 layers of glass held together by a pvb interlayer is not heat treated) and tempered glass for the sides and rear windows. Google glass for automobiles, I was able to find a glass fabricator in CA (where I unfortunately live) that had patterns for all older vehicles and got all 6 pieces for my 49 Power Wagon (my other build).

Yeah, if you want laminated windshield glass for your side windows, and can get it in the correct thickness. Probably not legal, either, knowing how bureaucracy works.

A place like this can make you tempered windows. Probably not cheap.

Last edited:
I believe Laminated glass would be acceptable since it is labeled as safety glass. But as others have mentioned, the thickness may be an issue with channel weatherstripping. The thinnest Laminated glass would be two layers of single strength glass (3/32" ea) with the thinnest PVB interlayer of .38mm (.015") for a total thickness of approximately (due to tolerances) of .2025". The OP should measure the glass thickness in the other door,

The OP (that’s me) ended up getting OEM used from SOR for $100 and $40 in shipping.

Glass was shipped very well packaged and showed up in great shape.

With the original glass broken, I took the opportunity to dismantle the whole door and refurb it. New gaskets for the triangle glass, and new rubber and felt elsewhere too

“Just” need to clean everything up and put it all back together.

Any tips on gluing the glass into the metal bracket that connects the window to the crank?

The OP (that’s me) ended up getting OEM used from SOR for $100 and $40 in shipping.

Glass was shipped very well packaged and showed up in great shape.

With the original glass broken, I took the opportunity to dismantle the whole door and refurb it. New gaskets for the triangle glass, and new rubber and felt elsewhere too

“Just” need to clean everything up and put it all back together.

Any tips on gluing the glass into the metal bracket that connects the window to the crank?
I used marine grade clear silicone. I’ve been told that it’s not ideal because of the expansion and contraction of the glass and steel… but I’ve been using it for 20 years or more now and it’s still holding fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom