Best Carburetor for 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Find out if your secondary vacuum actuator works and holds vacuum. If it is OK, get a Keyster kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. If the vacuum diaphragm is bad, get a Hygrade kit that has the vaccum diaphragm from your local NAPA dealer.

Stock, take the time to learn it, learn how it works, learn how to rebuild and set it up and it will shine for you

Stock, take the time to learn it, learn how it works, learn how to rebuild and set it up and it will shine for you
Ok, I realize this thread is old and have read alot about different carbs.Right now I have a weber that came with the truck and to me it runs good with the exception of running a little rich,just by smelling the fumes.I have nothing to compare it to because my last 40 had a 350 in it and nothing will compare to that.
With that said, I don't mind trying to upgrade the running of my truck,I've had the 2f rebuilt and like I said it runs good. Do you think in my situation ( not planning on wheeling it much other than maybe a trip to the beach) it would be something I would get any satisfaction with the " upgrade"

Years ago (actually back in the carburetor day of 1985-older) Toyota mechanics couldn't rebuild a factory carb to save their ass, consequently they made you buy a new carb. Now I read all these post where everyone loves the stock carb. I dont know when better rebuild kits suddenly appeared, or when so many got so good at rebuilding them, but hey, I'm all for it.

Now with regard to the Holley conversions we've sold since dirt was invented, we are acutely aware that some have had bad off road experiences with them. BUT BUT BUT those are probably always cases where those poor souls thought they could go wheelin with a non-baffled Holley float bowl. Some of the happiest campers on earth are those with a properly prepared Holley.

I have one of your Holley carbs, with the 2 stage power valve you also recommended. Baffled, it works great. The reason I bought it was that I live and wheel at 2,300 ft elevation, but hunt at 6,000-8,000 ft, and the stock carb couldn't handle it. I had NO power at over about 6,500 ft.

I have considered going back to stock, but my DUI electronic ignition is vacuum advance, and I believe the stock carb is vacuum retard.

x2... I'll anticipate your next issue... the file will be too large. Here is a free page that you can use to convert your pics to lower resolution:

Resize Images online

I user ms office picture viewer and export to a lower resolution web pic... the key there is using the EXPORT function rather than Save As.
If you are running Windows, you should have PAINT installed. Just edit the pic in paint and resize it(~2000 pixels should do it)

Ok, I realize this thread is old and have read alot about different carbs.Right now I have a weber that came with the truck and to me it runs good with the exception of running a little rich,just by smelling the fumes.I have nothing to compare it to because my last 40 had a 350 in it and nothing will compare to that.
With that said, I don't mind trying to upgrade the running of my truck,I've had the 2f rebuilt and like I said it runs good. Do you think in my situation ( not planning on wheeling it much other than maybe a trip to the beach) it would be something I would get any satisfaction with the " upgrade"

What is the compression on your rebuilt engine? What is the manifold vacuum? Those numbers make a difference to what I would advise.

I have one of your Holley carbs, with the 2 stage power valve you also recommended. Baffled, it works great. The reason I bought it was that I live and wheel at 2,300 ft elevation, but hunt at 6,000-8,000 ft, and the stock carb couldn't handle it. I had NO power at over about 6,500 ft.

I have considered going back to stock, but my DUI electronic ignition is vacuum advance, and I believe the stock carb is vacuum retard.

Easy fix, have a vacuum port added to the carb base. I think Jim C (TLC Performance) or Mark (Mark's Off Road) can do it. Probably others also, like Trollhole.

Phil

Easy fix, have a vacuum port added to the carb base. I think Jim C (TLC Performance) or Mark (Mark's Off Road) can do it. Probably others also, like Trollhole.

Phil

You can even buy a ready-made one:

042-62D-kit-big.jpg

You can even buy a ready-made one:

042-62D-kit-big.jpg

Roger

That is an F carburetor base. All but the earliest 2Fs are ported from the factory.

I have zero desire to go EFI, all my Aisin's work wonderfull. I had my 1 barrel rebuilt 14 years ago, beside a broken sight glass it's been trouble free.

Rebuilt my fj60 carb about 14 years ago as well, runs fantastic. Bought the last new OEM 2f carb in the world and it went on my 82, I could have rebuilt it but at the time the carb was a bit over $400 and it came with the AC idle up, which the stock 82 did nit have, my plan was to use that as a sorta hand throtle to bump the rpms if winching or something (never did hook it up)

I will be sending Jim or mark my spare 60 carb to have built for a desmog.

A lot of people down grade the Weber but I've had a 34/34 progressive on my 78 FJ40 for 13 years now without a problem.
My 2F has one size over cylinders/pistons with a header. I do wonder sometimes if it gets enough fuel under an increased load, like hauling
a 4x8 trailer full of firewood up a hill but also have to remember that its probably not putting out much more than 130-135 hp. I also think
maybe its the timing advance of my oem dizzy....or the fuel pump.

The stock Aisan is the best. It's designed specifically for these engines and it performs flawlessly on the trail and street when set up correctly and maintained.
Where can I get a stock Aisin Carb? The Weber on the 76 has some serious issues.

Where can I get a stock Aisin Carb? The Weber on the 76 has some serious issues.

There are several places to possibly obtain the Aisin carb you are looking for....maybe start with Mark @65swb45 ....then the classifieds

Mark's Off Road phone: 818-953-9230

Looks like city racer is out of stock, maybe check with him and see when he will be getting some more. They aren't Aisin but they are made in Japan. I have a new one in the box and the quality seems very good. I bought it when I was having issues with the one from Trollhole but I finally found the clog, and it has been doing fine. It will do fine forever since I have a spare!!

Put a want to buy (WTB) ad in classifieds and get a rebuildable core carb for your 76 and then rebuild it.
They go for about $150 + or -.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom