Carburetor rebuilder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
Who on mud is the recommended person to send a 2f carburetor to rebuild? Cost? or is it better to just buy a good aftermarket one like at cityracer? I am not sure mine is worthy of rebuilding but it is a oem carb. I started taking it apart but its a little out of my depth. here are some pictures. I have all the parts and screws and linkages.

IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_5989.JPG
IMG_5991.JPG

Rebuilding it is pretty cut and dry. Watch @pinhead videos online. Pretty simple. I got a rebuild kit from Mike's. Has all you need in it.
That carb does look pretty rough.

Rebuilding it is pretty cut and dry. Watch @pinhead videos online. Pretty simple. I got a rebuild kit from Mike's. Has all you need in it.
That carb does look pretty rough.
Yeah the lower butterflys are frozen too on this. I may soak in diesel or gas. I think the FSM says to soak in gas before disassemble. Ill check out the video.

I bought an 3 L ultrasonic cleaner and a gallon of carb sauce for it off Amoron. 2 bbl Rochester ought to fit - plus it will do chainsaw carbs and other small parts plus cartridge brass. I also bought one of those carb screwdriver kits with all the funky blade types, plus a tip cleaner and some micro brushes.

These cans last a long time, I'm still using one I bought in 2010. I would not attempt a carb rebuild without it.

View attachment 3529609
I found an unopened can of this from the 70’s when we were moving my grandpa out of his house. It was about five years ago and I’ve done over a dozen carbs. Amazing how clean it gets stuff. Mine must be an “old formula” because I have a can of it I bought that does a good job but not as good as that old can. Smell off the old one lingers for days! I love it!

I found an unopened can of this from the 70’s when we were moving my grandpa out of his house. It was about five years ago and I’ve done over a dozen carbs. Amazing how clean it gets stuff. Mine must be an “old formula” because I have a can of it I bought that does a good job but not as good as that old can. Smell off the old one lingers for days! I love it!
I wonder if this stuff will be good at cleaning some of the oil pan bolts and side cover bolts from my engine build. I have lots little parts that are dirty.

Who on mud is the recommended person to send a 2f carburetor to rebuild?
Jim C. on that coast, Mark A. On the West coast. Both are Gurus, busy and expensive and do an excellent job. Probably other lesser-knowns can do a good job. Anybody with a tool box and 'Mud can do a decent job after one or two tries.
Sometimes the Gurus have an original, correct carb sitting on the shelf. I would prefer that to a new reproduction.
Your carb does look rough, it'll take some time and elbow grease to shine that up but it's probably do-able and worth the effort.

Mine was in similar condition with the butterflys frozen. I sent it off to Mark and he kept it for parts and sent me a different one he already had built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom