Best 16" wheel for 35" tires on 3.5" lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently running about a 3.5" lift (Slinky Intermediate). Recently got new tires (315/75/16 BFG KO2), and I don't like how wide they look on these aftermarket wheels (16x10, not sure what the offset is). Anyone know what brand/style these are? Are stock wheels the best option if staying with 16's on 35's?

20170902_140743.jpg

20170915_221952.jpg

Those look almost identical to the Mickey Thompson Classic IIIs (I think) that were on my truck when I got it. Model number and offset info was etched on the inside of the wheels.

I think they look pretty good wide, personally.

my stock wheels look pretty much "right" with 315's in my estimation.

Do you like the width? As in how far the tread sticks out from the body? They don't look like a super deep dish wheel are there spacers on this as well? 8" wide like factory wheels works great. But I like a little more offset than factory. I've got 1" over stock. With an 8" rim you will need 3" of offset I'd guess. Which will be hard to find spacer may be needed.

I'd say stock. If I didn't get 17" tires cheaper than 16" then I'd have stuck with stock. I have my stockers if you're interested. All 5. No idea how much they're worth. Finish isn't good but they're strait and structurally in excellent shape. I just have method con6 wheels. Seeing all these guys with stock wheels makes me wish I stayed with them, powdercoated them burnt bronze satin. I may sit on them until later, and do just that on my next set of rubber.

I'm currently leaning towards stock, also for the fact that the tire looks (and I believe is) taller on a wheel with a lesser width (8" wide vs. the 10" wide I'm running right now). Is that a correct assumption to make?

I'm currently leaning towards stock, ,,,

Good quality and fitting wheels.

,,, also for the fact that the tire looks (and I believe is) taller on a wheel with a lesser width (8" wide vs. the 10" wide I'm running right now). Is that a correct assumption to make?

If you are going for looks, then whatever you like. From a wheeling perspective, wide rims put the rim edges and tire sidewalls more in harms way and are more likely to have a tire come off the bead when aired down. I prefer the old wheeling rule of 2/3, a 12" tire on a 8" rim, mine are 12.5 tires on 7.5" rims.

The factory 8" wide wheels have 0 mm. offset, which equals 4.5" backspacing. You can also get the aftermarket wheels with the same offset/BS as the factory if you prefer. Agreed on most people that the 10" wheels are bit too wide of a stance for our rigs.

The wheels look good to me.
Those do not look like 10" wide, but are wider than 8".
Stock wheels are forged & look good.

From a wheeling perspective, wide rims put the rim edges and tire sidewalls more in harms way and are more likely to have a tire come off the bead when aired down. I prefer the old wheeling rule of 2/3, a 12" tire on a 8" rim, mine are 12.5 tires on 7.5" rims.

Very informative with regards to the 2/3 rule. What 7.5" rim are you running?

Anyone with a good stock set of wheels in/near Southern California that's interested in a trade?

The factory 8" wide wheels have 0 mm. offset, which equals 4.5" backspacing. You can also get the aftermarket wheels with the same offset/BS as the factory if you prefer. Agreed on most people that the 10" wheels are bit too wide of a stance for our rigs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i always thought that 0mm offset on an 8" wheel would be 4" back spacing? 0mm on a 9" wheel would be 4.5". Offset being how far the mounting surface is from the centerline of wheel, while back space is mounting surface to inside edge of wheel. A 8" wheel with 4.5" backspace would then have a +12mm offset or thereabouts (bringing wheels closer to body). 8" 4wheel with 3.5" back space would be a -12mm offset (sticking wheels further out).

That was always how i understood wheel measurements anyway.

SCS F5 imo

Your's look similar to mine. OEM set going on next weekend and these are hitting the classifieds...
20170916_143448.jpg

Very informative with regards to the 2/3 rule. What 7.5" rim are you running?

Anyone with a good stock set of wheels in/near Southern California that's interested in a trade?

Maybe I'm wrong, but i always thought that 0mm offset on an 8" wheel would be 4" back spacing? 0mm on a 9" wheel would be 4.5". Offset being how far the mounting surface is from the centerline of wheel, while back space is mounting surface to inside edge of wheel. A 8" wheel with 4.5" backspace would then have a +12mm offset or thereabouts (bringing wheels closer to body). 8" 4wheel with 3.5" back space would be a -12mm offset (sticking wheels further out).

That was always how i understood wheel measurements anyway.
You would thing that because it makes sense, sort of.
An 8" wide wheel is actually 8" at the bead seats. There is roughly 12.3(min) thickness to the bead lip.
Back-spacing is measured from the outer most edge of the rim. That is where the extra half inch comes from

You would thing that because it makes sense, sort of.
An 8" wide wheel is actually 8" at the bead seats. There is roughly 12.3(min) thickness to the bead lip.
Back-spacing is measured from the outer most edge of the rim. That is where the extra half inch comes from

Gotcha, thanks! I wasnt counting on that lip measurement.

Sure would be nice if manufacturers could just come up with a reasonable standard for things. Even worse when shopping and there are two different measurements listed, one in metric and the other in bumpkin.

Yup, exactly what @Golgo13 said. Or you can simply use this chart as a reference...

O3yeYmch.gif

The wheels look good to me.
Those do not look like 10" wide, but are wider than 8".
Stock wheels are forged & look good.

No, stock wheels are just simply cast, not forged. That would be way too much for OEM standard wheels haha.

Edit**

Well, unless you drive a Porsche GT3RS or a Nissan GT-R lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom