Best 16" wheel for 35" tires on 3.5" lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, stock wheels are just simply cast, not forged. That would be way too much for OEM standard wheels haha.

Edit**

Well, unless you drive a Porsche GT3RS or a Nissan GT-R lol
Here we go with the cast/forged argument again. Toyota never made forged wheels for Land Cruiser. They have always been stanped steel or cast aluminum.

Found a set of 04 Toyota 4-runner wheels for a good deal. They are 8" wide with an offset of 5.5

Will these fit without rubbing when articulating on the trail? Also durability wise, are these as strong as the OE wheels?

21577.jpeg

21579.jpeg

21574.jpeg

20170922_211140.png

Found a set of 04 Toyota 4-runner wheels for a good deal. They are 8" wide with an offset of 5.5

Will these fit without rubbing when articulating on the trail? Also durability wise, are these as strong as the OE wheels?

Factory wheels are 4.5" BS so those are going to be pulled in another inch, I'm guessing those are going to cause rubbing on the frame and radius arms.

Thanks, so I'll have to use 1" spacers, which would put more load on the wheel bearings, correct?

Sounds like the stock wheels are the way to go!

If anyone is running these wheels on their 80, please post a picture... would like to see how it looks!

Thanks, so I'll have to use 1" spacers, which would put more load on the wheel bearings, correct?

If they're the same width as stock wheels, and the spacers give them the same effective offset as stock wheels, how could it put more load on the wheel bearings?

Sounds like the stock wheels are the way to go!

If they're the same width as stock wheels, and the spacers give them the same effective offset as stock wheels, how could it put more load on the wheel bearings?

I believe GC is right, that's the way I've always looked at spacers and how to achieve the desired backspacing. I wouldn't worry about wearing out wheel bearings, lots of people run 2" & 3" spacers to help fit 37-40" tires.

This is correct. If wheel spacers are used to bring the centerline of a wheel back to the nominal "factory" position, the wheel bearings don't know the difference.

Check the GVWR of the 4Runner they came from vs your LC. That will tell you how strong they were designed to be. Probably not as strong as an LC wheel, but if you consider mileage on both, its possibly close.
But that depends on your load in the truck

Also, those wheels have an 11mm inset and are made by Chuo Seiki according to the casting marks in one photo.

I doubt that they are 8" wide. More like 7-7.5" Toyota has never made more than 7" wide for 4Runner, IIRC.

I doubt that they are 8" wide. More like 7-7.5" Toyota has never made more than 7" wide for 4Runner, IIRC.

You are 100% correct! I bought the wheels, was super excited to get my tires mounted, and went straight to America's tire.

To my disappointment, they refused to install them as the true width measured on the inside of the wheel (and stamped on the back side) is 7". A chart they had said I need a wheel with a minimum width of 7.5"!!

My options are to either sell them and get a different set with the "required" width, or go to a tire shop that will mount them for me. Is there any danger in mounting 315/75/16 tires to 7" wide wheels??

America's tire says they will not rotate, balance, or honor my warranty if I have the tires installed on a wheel with a width less than 7.5"

No danger at all in running them on a 7" wheel. Discount/America's Tire can be a royal PITA depending on location. I'd find another shop and be happy about it.

I was pretty pissed off and frustrated to say the least. I tried reasoning with them, but they were going on and on about how I "could" have a blow-out and how they "have to" stick within the limits of what they are "allowed" to install. Supposedly some real smart engineers have come up with these tolerances, and if they do otherwise, it's not only a risk for me (the customer), but they could get fired over it... ridiculous!

20170923_192437.jpg

Like every business, they have guidelines they are supposed to follow to cover their asses. Find another shop that "accepts no responsibility".

I use Discount tire & they ordered my Interco's when I ran 37's on the LX450 - they have a waiver form here in WA at least - within reason if you got the $$ they'll do what you want, even that euro-stretch sidewall stuff. I was even running beads for weights (I supplied but they were willing to do my request).

That one I can say 1st-hand as a buddy has a BMW on streched lo-profile walls, not my thing but Discount will do it.

Decided that I'm going to sell these and get a 7.5-8" wide wheel, as I want to keep the services (rotation, balance, road hazard warranty) I paid for. Anyone interested before I post them locally?

I've decided to get either with a set of LX450 OEM wheels, or the SCS F5 wheels in Gunmetal or Dark Bronze (like in the attached picture).

Any pros/cons of either wheel, other than the SCS set costing close to $700?

20170923_231957.jpg

The SCS F5 wheel is a cool wheel but it's so close to the same look as the factory wheels (5 spoke design) that I'd just stick with factory wheels rather than the F5.

At least that was my thinking when I was shopping for SCS wheels. I did the SR8 model wheel from SCS. I really like it. You need to remove the small lip for the center cap that's on the inside bore in order for them to fit over the 80 series hubs, but it's a minor thing to get them to fit. I have the 16x8 size but you could do a 17" too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom