Any clearance issues running Slee wheel spaces on OEM 315/75/R16 tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kabanstva

SILVER Star
Threads
Is anyone running the Slee Spidertrax wheel spacers on factory 16” alloys and a 315/75/R16 tire? Car has a 3” Dobinsons lift and Slee 2” rear bumpstop drops and a 1-1/4” front bumpstop spacer (inside coil).

Was wondering if the tire would be hitting the factory fender flares at full flex.

Bump. Trying to see if tires will rub on fender flares when fully stuffed in the rear wheel wells.

Spacers are like $300+ now so don’t wanna buy something if it will be an issue and require cutting up the car.

Why not just order a set of cheapo Amazon spacers for like $40 to test fit before taking the plunge? Are you gonna be in the Madison area anytime soon? I have a 1" and an 1 1/4" on my shelf you could borrow and flex in the yard.

Bump. Trying to see if tires will rub on fender flares when fully stuffed in the rear wheel wells.

Spacers are like $300+ now so don’t wanna buy something if it will be an issue and require cutting up the car.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you'll be chewing your tires on something with spacers...the OEM 16's are a perfect fit on mine with 315's to stuff away, I can't imagine adding an inch+ to the poke at this point. Also, if you don't have panhard correction on the rear with the delta bracket, you'll probably scrub one side first as the rear axle is a bit off center with the lift. In my opinion, an adjustable rear bar will only give more push on one side when compressed where the delta bracket properly centers (for the most part) with the proper length stock bar.

1 inch spacers with OEM '80 series 16 inch wheels and 315/75R16 do not rub on my rigs with 4 and 6 inch lifts. (also used on the standard OME 2.5-3 inch lift, but not for as long). In use on 2 different rigs for over 10 years now with zero clearance issues in, highway and street driving, high speed off road "rallying" and low speed mud and rock crawling.

Mark...

1 inch spacers with OEM '80 series 16 inch wheels and 315/75R16 do not rub on my rigs with 4 and 6 inch lifts. (also used on the standard OME 2.5-3 inch lift, but not for as long). In use on 2 different rigs for over 10 years now with zero clearance issues in, highway and street driving, high speed off road "rallying" and low speed mud and rock crawling.

Mark...
Good to hear some first hand experience!

Why not just order a set of cheapo Amazon spacers for like $40 to test fit before taking the plunge? Are you gonna be in the Madison area anytime soon? I have a 1" and an 1 1/4" on my shelf you could borrow and flex in the yard.
I really appreciate the offer but it’s not really an option. I haven’t been to Madison in years.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you'll be chewing your tires on something with spacers...the OEM 16's are a perfect fit on mine with 315's to stuff away, I can't imagine adding an inch+ to the poke at this point. Also, if you don't have panhard correction on the rear with the delta bracket, you'll probably scrub one side first as the rear axle is a bit off center with the lift. In my opinion, an adjustable rear bar will only give more push on one side when compressed where the delta bracket properly centers (for the most part) with the proper length stock bar.
Yeah I have the delta panhard bracket. Guess I should’ve mentioned it. Axle is pretty centered when you measure how much the tire comes out of the fender on both sides.

Mark...
Thanks for sharing Mark. I’m not familiar with anyone that makes 1” spacers? Do you remember where you got these? Slee only makes a 1.5” spacer for the 80 series.

I think there are more options with Bora spacers but no direct experience.

Thanks for sharing Mark. I’m not familiar with anyone that makes 1” spacers? Do you remember where you got these? Slee only makes a 1.5” spacer for the 80

A wheel spacer is a chunk of aluminum with some steel studs in it. It is about the last thing that I worry about getting any particular brand name on.

I doubt it would take me more than 30, maybe 45 seconds to do an online search to find a source. [Edit: it took less then 15... the rest of the 45 was used to verify and confirm and be ready to hit " pay"].

😉

Mark...

A wheel spacer is a chunk of aluminum with some steel studs in it. It is about the last thing that I worry about getting any particular brand name on.

I doubt it would take me more than 30, maybe 45 seconds to do an online search to find a source. [Edit: it took less then 15... the rest of the 45 was used to verify and confirm and be ready to hit " pay"].

😉

Mark...
That makes sense Mark. Appreciate the advice.

I guess my only question is, with a 1” spacer does it clear the factory wheel studs or did you have to trim them? I wonder why Slee only sells a 1.5” spacer, I thought that might be the minimum to clear the factory studs.

That makes sense Mark. Appreciate the advice.

I guess my only question is, with a 1” spacer does it clear the factory wheel studs or did you have to trim them? I wonder why Slee only sells a 1.5” spacer, I thought that might be the minimum to clear the factory studs.

I have to correct myself. When I read this question, I heard a little voice in the back of my head yelling for attention. Asking me if I was sure I was remembering correctly. I confidently and definitely stated that I was running 1 inch spacers. But, I just took about a minute and a half to check. I spoke incorrectly. I was wrong. I have 1.5 inch spacers on the rigs mentioned before. No clearance issues, but 1.5 inch spacers, not 1.0

I've been running them so long, somewhere along the line I started thinking they were 1 inch. They are not.

I do think that a 1 inch would not require trimming the studs. But without pulling a wheel off to check (no time right now) I can not say for sure.

Mark...

1" I had to take a flap disc and touch up the rear studs, fronts were fine.

For what its worth, I run the KSP 1" off of Amazon and have had zero issues with them on my 450 or my daily Tacoma.

I have to correct myself. When I read this question, I heard a little voice in the back of my head yelling for attention. Asking me if I was sure I was remembering correctly. I confidently and definitely stated that I was running 1 inch spacers. But, I just took about a minute and a half to check. I spoke incorrectly. I was wrong. I have 1.5 inch spacers on the rigs mentioned before. No clearance issues, but 1.5 inch spacers, not 1.0

I've been running them so long, somewhere along the line I started thinking they were 1 inch. They are not.

I do think that a 1 inch would not require trimming the studs. But without pulling a wheel off to check (no time right now) I can not say for sure.

Mark...
Mark I really appreciate you coming back to this thread and sharing that. Hood to hear from someone with real world experience. Thanks a lot!

1" I had to take a flap disc and touch up the rear studs, fronts were fine.

For what its worth, I run the KSP 1" off of Amazon and have had zero issues with them on my 450 or my daily Tacoma.
Good to know. I figured 1” spacer wouldn’t be enough to clear the oem wheel studs. Surprised they cleared the front ones without needing to grind them down.

I have been running the 1.5" spidertrax spacers for years with 35's and with 37's. Some years were with the OEM wheel and 35's, and some with aftermarket 16" wheels. Since going to 37's it's been on an 17" aftermarket wheel. Whether or not you will have tires rubbing will also depend on the tire you run. For example I ran the Goodyear MTR for a couple years with no rubbing. Then I switched tires to a Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC with much larger corner lugs on the tread. Same size tire as the Goodyear, same wheel etc but the Mickey Thompsons rubbed the flares where it never happened with the Goodyears.

Generally speaking you should just look at your final backspacing as a good reference point. From my experience anything in the 3.75" - 4.5" BS range seems to fit reasonably well without rubbing with 315's or 35's and 2-4" lift. You could always run a larger bumpstop spacer to keep the tires out of the flares. On the other hand, I personally don't see any real issue with trimming the flares since it typically only needs minor trimming and can be done cleanly enough that 99% of people would never even know. I understand that some people do not want to do ANY cutting of any kind out of fear that it will hurt resale value. I could understand that if it was a completely stock "survivor" rig that wasn't being modified in any way. But even just installing a lift puts you into a "modified" category that would rarely if ever cause someone to balk at a truck just because the flares had minor trimming. Just my two cents. I guess I'd say if you're that concerned about trimming flares then running a wheel spacer shouldn't be on your list of modifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom