Builds Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why not? USPS is still in business.

Wasn't sure since Amazon made their announcement yesterday. I'll put together my order then.

@BenCC : Another thought, maybe a single pod mount similar to what you would do for a the single deeper mounted Morimoto XB we talked about? Probably not a priority, but just another option for those that like the the off-road "pod" style LEDs but don't need 4 of them.

9445FDB5-0BDC-4A2E-BD0B-A87FFD641988.jpeg

Printed one in grey ABS. Will mail it tomorrow.

Make 21: Overhead LED Replacement

21.1 Overview of the Final Product
1584826948990.png

1584828431652.png

1584827264361.png

B5922E7F-1F70-4DF9-AA6C-96BDADA9D18C.jpeg

Note: The rocker-switch mount is M4V4.

21.2 Introduction

Just want more light.

21.3 Design and Fabrication

I used to put LED panels inside the lenses. Don't like that very thick adhesive stickers have to be used to fix the LED panels. The thick stickers retain the heat and shorten the panels' life. In this design, the LEDs are exposed. Heatsinks are put on the back of the panels.

You can also use a dimmer to regulate the brightness.

Dimmer:
https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/LD-Series_010713.pdf
You need M4V4 to mount this dimmer.

Video:

The flickering is only in the video. I cannot see it with my naked eyes.

Wiring diagram:

1584828723255.png

21.4 Purchase List to Complete the Installation

Dimmer:
https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/LD-Series_010713.pdf

You don't have to include the dimmer. You can connect it to the original switch.
All fasteners, LED panels, and heatsinks are provided.

21.5 Purchase Link

PM for Direct Paypal Payment

Price:
$50 + $8.3 (USPS Priority) for printed in Grey or Tan PETG.
Price is for a pair.

Last edited:
I'm in the tiny % of the population with an old school TJM bumper that retains the factory fogs - this would be killer for me!

me too! I’ve been dreaming about that ever since I saw the one mainline overland did for the arb! I tried to make that work but it was too big.

Last edited:
me too! I’ve been dreaming about that ever since I saw the one mainline overland did for the arb! I tried to make that work but it was too big.

Do you have a link to the Mainline Overland ARB solution? On their website I see the bumpers ‘compatible with MLO light pod’ but not the light pod itself as a product. I’m curious about this. Thanks

I don’t see it either, I think they make them as needed. Of course, in see Slee now has them in production, so maybe they just use those now.

edit: all I could find is this photo. Call Matt at MLO to see if they still make them they are different than Slee’s design
7C5B5278-D8EC-421E-AEF4-58D6A95784D3.jpeg

Last edited:
Some update on the foglight mount.

I changed the design to only mount one Rigid Industries D2 light instead of two. Mounting two is still possible but the wall thickness of the mount is pushed to several millimeters. I will explore the design for two D2 lights later. The major distinguish feature is the embedded flow deflectors. Without the deflectors, air would just pass the heatsink fins. I used to put D2 lights in confined space and they heat up quickly. With the deflectors, air should be directed to cover larger area of the heatsink fins.

Plan is to print in ASA material (good weather and UV resistant) and mount on my truck for several weeks and keep improving before being released.
Please feel free to comment and critique.

1585543098569.png

1585542178360.png

1585543295552.png

A test print:

1585544045898.png

Last edited:
looks great, what bumper is this intended for? Any pumper that takes the factory fog?

@BenCC : That looks great! The only concern would be that if Rigid decides to change the design/layout of their heatsink fins and then it's back to the drawing board. But other than that it's a great design that looks almost OEM, love it. The big question would be whether to color match it gray to the bumper or do black to offset it a bit.....hmmm...

@BenCC : That looks great! The only concern would be that if Rigid decides to change the design/layout of their heatsink fins and then it's back to the drawing board. But other than that it's a great design that looks almost OEM, love it. The big question would be whether to color match it gray to the bumper or do black to offset it a bit.....hmmm...
It is a good point. The design of the D2 series have been stabilized. They have been using the design for years.

I just discovered this thread! This is great stuff. How does one purchase some of this great stuff?

Have you considered an M2 (center console passenger side panel) with a RAM ball attachment?

Have you considered an M2 (center console passenger side panel) with a RAM ball attachment?
I was thinking the same thing a while back. Pretty sure that I have seen on user with a one off in the thread here. Was considering this instead of the sticky iOttie arm that is on my dash.

I did consider to put a Ram ball mount there. Problem is that piece is not that rigid/stable for mounting heavy stuff like an iPad. For phones, I think it is OK. I added this to Suggested Project List on first page.

Last edited:
I did consider to put a Ram ball mount there. Problem is that piece is not that rigid/stable for mounting heavy stuff like an iPad. For phones, I think it is OK. I added this to Suggested Project List on first page.
For me it would likely just handle a phone. Nothing heavier than that.

If the lack of rigidity is with the part's material I can help out there. I just loaded a fresh spool of fiberglass. Just sayin. ;)

1585606239658.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom