Bed's for sleeping in your 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm on a mission to build a bed platform in the back of my cruiser in time for Memorial Day weekend. Looking at bed options I'm thinking either a folding foam mattress (HERE) or inflatable (HERE). The foam is close to $90 and the inflatable is $30. I like the durability of the foam mattress and that I don't have to worry about it deflating or popping. But the air mattress will take up less space and can be replaced cheaply, not that I want to do that.

Plan is to keep the bed under $100 and needs to accommodate 2. What do you guys and girls use in your 60 or other rigs?

917L8Q3H0cL._SL1500_.jpg

I do believe you will get opinions all over the map on this one. My .02cents is I have never gotten a good nights sleep on an inflatable mattress. To me they are only marginally better than a 1970's water bed. Half the time I have tried to sleep on them I have woken up with the mattress partially deflated. I would go with the best/thickest foam mattress you can fit in there and live with it but again YMMV

I have used the Big Agnes insulated blow up mattress. I deflate until my butt almost hits the floor. Always wake up refreshed, sometimes hung over but always refreshed. Personally, I would use a hammock in good weather and the truck in the rain.

That penthouse looks pretty nice!

I'm leaning heavily towards the foam setup. Maybe one day I'll spring for a RTT, but i've got a big roof rack already installed on top. I could definitely fit my 2 person backpacking tent on a sheet of plywood on my roof rack. that's pretty much the same thing!

What sort of sleeping pad do you use in the RTT? @roma042987

Exped megamat 10, I think it’s called. Amazingly comfortable and adjustable. So glad that I spent the extra $ on the sleeping pad. Mix of foam and air mattress.

cape lookout 6-2017 sleep platform.jpg
I'm using a Walmart intex queen air mattress I put egg crate foam mattress topper to smooth out the bellows. Also carry a single spare in case the queen fails. Prob not as comfortable as foam but both roll up and stow away allowing more space. 12v air pump fills them quickly. All for very cheap. (Edit) I did remove the back seat and built a sleep platform which give me more headroom.

Last edited:
X2 for the Exped. It's comfortable as hell and rolls up small. I'm not sure if there's one wide enough for 2, but there probabliy is.

Does the Walmart intex queen fit between the wheel wells, or do you just inflate it to fit.

I actually picked up the exped duo and the single for the kid, and so I can use it when solo. I did a search and had found a retailer online that was selling a slightly older version at a discount.

That penthouse looks pretty nice!

I'm leaning heavily towards the foam setup. Maybe one day I'll spring for a RTT, but i've got a big roof rack already installed on top. I could definitely fit my 2 person backpacking tent on a sheet of plywood on my roof rack. that's pretty much the same thing!

What sort of sleeping pad do you use in the RTT? @roma042987

The tent is a maggiolina grand tour. I believe it has 3'' memory foam mattress? They come installed in the tent and I've never had a need to take it out. Its a bit on the firm side but that is my preference anyway so it's perfect.

I got a great deal on the tent used ($1300) and I've probably spent 24 nights in it so far in the two or so years I've owned it. It has totally transformed the whole camping experience.

The tent is a maggiolina grand tour. I believe it has 3'' memory foam mattress? They come installed in the tent and I've never had a need to take it out. Its a bit on the firm side but that is my preference anyway so it's perfect.

I got a great deal on the tent used ($1300) and I've probably spent 24 nights in it so far in the two or so years I've owned it. It has totally transformed the whole camping experience.

That was a helluva deal those things are 3k ish new!

at 6'3" tall I am pretty sure that stretching out in the back of my 60 will never be a reality...even if rear seat is gone and nice platform is installed.

Wow, that is a great deal...I think thats close to half price if I remember correctly.

at 6'3" tall I am pretty sure that stretching out in the back of my 60 will never be a reality...even if rear seat is gone and nice platform is installed.

Never say never. I'm the same height and will fit nicely once I remove the rear seats and build a platform.

Never say never. I'm the same height and will fit nicely once I remove the rear seats and build a platform.

Looking forward to pictures. It doesn’t look like there is enough room unless maybe the front seats are slid all the way forward. I could always put the tailgate down though.

Yes, with the back seat folded up, my 5' 11" frame does not fit between the tail gait and the back of the folded seat. But, if I get enough height, the top of the back seat, there's another 10" of length at least to the back of the front seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom