ATC R&D Shop Build 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventuretoolcompany.com
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG
We've been planning this for a couple of years and jumping through the Boulder County permitting process and are now at the point of starting construction. This will be a multi phase pole barn build so there should be lots of info and pictures to come. The primary goals for this building will be storage of our vehicles, tractor, vehicle maintenance, vehicle builds and Research and Development for Adventure Tool Company gear.
I suspect there is no other county in the US that has such restrictive building codes. Even though we live in unincorporated county, on acreage, BC limits the size of a building by size of your house and the size of the neighboring properties. All materials have to be fire resistant. Forget about water and sewer(septic systems) due to environmental impact. And, since we adjoin open space and park land, the build technically cannot be seen from the adjoining mountain range so as not to offend anyone. And,permits galore! Dirt movement permit, historical permit, building permits, neighbor approval permit, replanting grass permit, tree/fire mitigation permit.......even with all this we moving forward and very excited about getting it finished!

Phase One: Clearing the lot of old tungsten mining tailings. Cool old photo of the Town of Tungsten mining operation that sat above our property.

Last edited:
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG
Phase two was dropping and clearing the lodge pole pines and Douglas fur trees. Really sad since some of the furs were over hundred years old. Heck, if we don't build the building we now have our own ski slope! Stand by for the slash burn after the first big snow! This is a smal slash burn from just five trees. (FYI...permit and fire and Sheriff notification required.)

IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG
Long before Boulder Canyon had a paved roadway between Boulder and Nederland it was nothing more then a single track dirt trail. One of the really interesting thing about the property is finding all sorts of old mining/living artifacts. One of the larger, older trees still had the old telegraph wooden insulator. The bottom of our property is part of the old roadway. It'd be cool to know what conversations occurred over this wire?

I suspect there is no other county in the US that has such restrictive building codes.

I bet that Santa Fe County, NM comes very close. We have rural land in the mountains there too, 15 miles from any town, and the codes and permits are ridiculous. Can only be so tall, and not near a hill top, nor interfere with any view of a hill top (cannot be in any potential line-of-sight to a hill top, even though we are miles from a paved road, and back-up to BLM land). Have to have a meter on your own water well. Codes for rainwater catchment, and everything else imaginable. All the permits and codes are one big reason why we decided to build in Texas rather than there.

I love the mining history and beauty of your place. Have fun with your build, and I look forward to updates and progress.

IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG
I bet that Santa Fe County, NM comes very close. We have rural land in the mountains there too, 15 miles from any town, and the codes and permits are ridiculous. Can only be so tall, and not near a hill top, nor interfere with any view of a hill top (cannot be in any potential line-of-sight to a hill top, even though we are miles from a paved road, and back-up to BLM land). Have to have a meter on your own water well. Codes for rainwater catchment, and everything else imaginable. All the permits and codes are one big reason why we decided to build in Texas rather than there.

I love the mining history and beauty of your place. Have fun with your build, and I look forward to updates and progress.

Ouch....those are some ridiculous codes! Thanks. This has been a long time coming. I've had a number of distractions and delays so I'm really excited to finally moving forward. Timing is good for us personally, but not so good due to the building boom across the front range. The original plan was a stick and frame build with a foundation, but due to the building boom that got priced out of our budget. Not to mention the "mountain surcharge" added to everything delivered or built above 6000 ft.

I volunteered at the local mining museum and learned a great deal about the gold and Tungsten mining in the area. Thank goodness our property was Tungsten versus gold mining. Tungsten didn't require all the hazardous
Materials that gold used, therefore we don't any hazmat sites on our property. I do love finding old mining artifacts on our property. I found this old mill gear, mining track and water pipe and built our dining room table out of it. It was a b$&@ to get up our valley, but that's what the college kid is good for!

IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG
Very cool.

Paul: have you found any of the original corner stones on the property yet?

Dan

Hey Dan-

We've found some of the mine head pylon footings and a stone foundation to an old cabin. Everything else was buried , dismantled or filled in when the state and county came in to fill in the shafts. What's fascinating, is You can tell where they dumped thier trash. It's now under 100 years of pine needles and soil, but old cans and bottles work their way to the top. What's also always neat is when I'm hiking in the open space or NF you will sometimes run into an old whiskey/liquor bottle sitting on the ground next to a tree or rock outcropping an you can tell it's just been stilling there found 50 years. Always makes you wonder what that guy was thinking or doing at that point.

We've also found old mining sites that still have some of the old pumps, motors and piping just melting into the ground.

Spent the day clearing stumps and moving dirt. The two old fur stumps are going to take a heck of alot of digging to get out. I'll only be going about 10-15 feet into the hillside but will be terracing it t o help stabilize the hill. Not to concerned since it's all rock and granite under the dirt.

If you notice the curved tree in the first photo, we're saving it for now or until the County tells us to cut it down due to the fire mitigation requirements. The reason for keeping it is we were told that it's an Native American Pray Tree or route finding tree. Not sure which one it is, but there is a second one further down our property and Boulder Canyon was a Native American route to get over the Continental Divide. Anyway, hope we can keep it.

IMGP0101.JPG

IMGP0102.JPG

Last edited:
Neat stuff! I look forward to the construction. I'm really shocked by what's been mentioned about permits. I guess at some point in time the whole country will be choked by permits.

Good fortunes with the shop,

IMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG
Neat stuff! I look forward to the construction. I'm really shocked by what's been mentioned about permits. I guess at some point in time the whole country will be choked by permits.

Good fortunes with the shop,

Thanks! BTW...that Pig shifter you gave me is still working hard out here! Thanks again!

Spent the day clearing stumps and moving dirt. The two old fur stumps are going to take a heck of alot of digging to get out. I'll only be going about 10-15 feet into the hillside but will be terracing it t o help stabilize the hill. Not to concerned since it's all rock and granite under the dirt.

If you notice the curved tree in the first photo, we're saving it for now or until the County tells us to cut it down due to the fire mitigation requirements. The reason for keeping it is we were told that it's an Native American Pray Tree or route finding tree. Not sure which one it is, but there is a second one further down our property and Boulder Canyon was a Native American route to get over the Continental Divide. Anyway, hope we can keep it.

View attachment 1611751

View attachment 1611752

That tree is really cool! It might be funny to see the fire code come into conflict with historical preservation codes.

What's fascinating, is You can tell where they dumped thier trash. It's now under 100 years of pine needles and soil, but old cans and bottles work their way to the top. What's also always neat is when I'm hiking in the open space or NF you will sometimes run into an old whiskey/liquor bottle sitting on the ground next to a tree or rock outcropping an you can tell it's just been stilling there found 50 years.

I grew up not far from you, in Golden. One of my best friend's mother collected old whiskey and liquor bottles from the mining/frontier era. She would go to the old mining ghost towns in the mountains, and try to find where the outhouses were, and excavate under those - she said a lot of people would go drink in the outhouse, if they didn't want to share, or if drinking were against employers rules, and when they finished a bottle they would just drop the empty down the hole. There must have been something to her theory, as she had a house full of the old bottles with sagging glass and turned colors, that she found herself.

If I might ask, exactly (more or less, no need for actual address), where in Ned are you? We're in the Canyon, about a mile up Magnolia & after years of issues getting in the way, we are hoping to finally build Abe's dream garage this year. Or maybe, some of Abe's dream garage, with lots of reality built in there too.... :)

Pretty cool to be able to find all that stuff on your property. Here in the east things like that are pretty much all gone.

If I might ask, exactly (more or less, no need for actual address), where in Ned are you? We're in the Canyon, about a mile up Magnolia & after years of issues getting in the way, we are hoping to finally build Abe's dream garage this year. Or maybe, some of Abe's dream garage, with lots of reality built in there too.... :)

For some reason I'm just now seeing this. If your familiar with Barker Reservoir we're just up Hurricane Hill. Our property backs up to Boulder Canyon.

Good luck as you move forward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom