ARB Fridge would be cooler if it opened like this. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevinmrowland

Forum Lifer
Threads
Website
www.wagongear.com
Any body done this?

Seems like you could just screw hinges on one side and a latch on the other an be all set.
It is essentially a traditional metal sided cooler.
I am usually all for drilling holes and modifying stuff........but.................... this is an awfully expensive thing to drill holes in :eek:

P.S. Thanks Kurt, fridge arrived just in the nick of time!
IMG_1794.jpg

:D Glad I have the 60.

I thought they all opened like dat......:whoops:

Hey,
Could any of you guys with the 60 post a detail shot of the hinge/latch?

I am thinking that I could order the hinges and latch for the 60 and then be a little more secure in thinking that the holes would not interfere with anything.

The more I think about it the more I want to do this, it would facilitate opening the fridge from the tailgate or the back seat, I could mount it closer to the side and not have to worry about having a slide out for it, therefore loosing less sleeping area..................

Hey Kevin, sorry for the delay, been out of town...

I'm honestly not sure if there are any reasons you couldn't add some side hinges... I too have had time I wish mine opened that way (when I have it in the back seat of my ExCab Tacoma.

Do it and let us know :D:D:D

PS, glad it made it in time :cool:, thanks again!

I agree, it's a good idea. I would like to add hinges to mine also.I have another bitch point; why don't the transit covers make room for the latching mechanism in these things? :)

That's one of the reasons I went with the Waeco...

Cool, I'm doin it.

Found an exploded view on the internet that pretty much eased my fears.
I have the hinges and the latch sitting on my bench so sometime this week I will post up how it goes.
From the looks of things this will be a pretty easy mod, let you know how it goes.

Alia, you must be referring to a different transit bag, mine does not seem to interfere with the latch at all.

The Engel transit bag falls on its face in the latch area! :mad: Just about all of the Engel transit bag has this area totally stretched out or just plain messed up!
IMG_1431.JPG

Ok, my ARB fridge is now even cooler.

The hinges have a tension adjusting screw so the lid will stay in whatever position you put it and they have just enough room to fit over the welting.
The latch is a spring compression one that holds the lid nice and snug.
And I cut the transit bag around the new latch for clearance.
I like it.
Pics:
IMG_1810.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1816.jpg

Very cool, how about a source for the parts?

Very cool :cool:

I assume you ran the bolts all the way through the side of the freezer and used a nut on the inside?

Did you re-sew the cover? Looks OE :D

I would have thought you would make it open the other way and put the compressor forward, so you don't have to reach around it.....or do you need access to that end?

Thanks, glad you guys like it.

Mc-Master-Carr Parts
Friction Hinge 1791A48
Draw Latch 1794A43
6-20 X 3/8” self drilling screws 92364A146
1/4-14 X 3/4” self drilling screws 92364A275

Kurt, I decided to just use self drilling metal screws. If they don’t work I will dismantle the fridge and put nuts back there or just use nut-certs. They seem to hold very tight and I think they will work quite well.
I cut the bag and sewed binding on like the other latch opening has. I am not thrilled with the way that turned out, it’s a real bitch to stuff that bag through the sewing machine. But, it looks good from a distance.

Yooper, I thought it would be better hinged the other way as well. However, if you look at the way the D pillar angles in you can see that there is not enough room for the lid to open unless it is where it is. As it sits, the lid opens right into the window and clears everything perfectly. It’s a bit further of a reach, but it fits best that way and makes it a bit easier to get at from the back seat. Also, it keeps things from getting stuffed against the cooling fins like would happen if they faced the other way. Everything is a compromise I guess. Amy likes it, so that's all that matters. :D

A close up from the same pic:
IMG_1816.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done very cool.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom