ARB Fridge would be cooler if it opened like this. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the link, looks like those will work with the Engle MR040 that does not come with a basket.
Yeah, thanks Cory, after seeing your photos I ordered a set of the small baskets from Sierra Expedition for our fridge, really nice to keep the butter and cheese out of the bottom.
Also had a fellow email me from NSW after seeing your webpage. :D You're world renowned now!

DropBearInDisguise any of you think of not using screws ? someof the same hinges with a good epoxy would probly do just as well and no potential fatal to the fridge screw holes either

I originally considered gluing the new hardware on, but not being able to remove, replace or repair the glued on parts down the road was enough to knock that thought right out of my head.
I talk about the fridge construction a few posts up, but I went through and dismantled it just to be sure there was no way to incur any damage with the screws.
:cheers:

Yeah, thanks Cory, after seeing your photos I ordered a set of the small baskets from Sierra Expedition for our fridge, really nice to keep the butter and cheese out of the bottom.
Also had a fellow email me from NSW after seeing your webpage. :D You're world renowned now!
Thanks Kevin, and you are welcome.

I had no qualms after reading your writeup about installing these hinges.
I was careful not to drill to far in with that 18v beast I used :D

But yes, it is a great mod.
So nice to see what you are grabbing, and to not have to use the other hand to hold up the lid only half way before it hits the roof.

Now my next mod for the fridge will be a solar panel setup.
Still researching that, and it looks like Overland Journal will be doing an article on that subject pretty soon.
I just need it to keep the battery topped off while camped for over three days or more.
I have successfully ran my fridge in my driveway for five straight days on fridge mode, and it started right up, but being in the mountains when camping I was a little extra insurance to go along with my dual battery setup too.

fridge hinge mods

Firstly , G'day from Outback Oz,
I'm new to the forums as a member but I've been reading a lot of the forum over the last couple of months.
I'm really interested in the fridge hinge mod, some of the mods you have done are just amazing. A credit to you Kevin and others.
I have been looking around for the friction hinges etc here in Oz, I cant seem to find what I need. I have written down your list of parts Kevin. I also believe you are doing a kit. I'm wondering how I would go getting my hands on one, me being in Oz and all.
Is it possible to have one sent out here???
I have a 40 Litre Engel, and yes the lid is a pain. I'd love to hinge it the other way. I'm fairly handy on the tools and not afraid to have a crack at it, but I want to know I am starting with the right parts.
Keen for any feed back.
Aussie61

Firstly , G'day from Outback Oz,.....

Hey Aussie, I send stuff to OZ on a regular basis, something small like the kit can just go in the post. It's not the most cost effective option but it might save you some time.
The kits are here:
http://wagongear.com/shop/fridge-hinge-flip-kits/

I'm still over in MT for another week and a half at least so I'll be out of stock until I get back, but can get you set up then.
KR

Looks like the new one still open up the long way so it would hit the ceiling, but, you can pull them straight off.

They are and they do. It also really hurts when you think you have it wedged open against the ceiling, reach in to grab something, and the lid whacks you on the head.

Fridge1.jpg
I just did this to mine yesterday. My ARB has a plastic ring around the lid. Very soft plastic...

So the upper part of the hinge failed almost immediately.

:lol:

I carefully threaded some bigger screws (from my old snowboard bindings...) into the plastic and added some JB Weld. We'll see how that works...

Might have to try some of those little zip-tie moly thingies in there, I don't know.

Less tension on the hinge and everything should be fine, I think.

If you have problems with the screws pulling out, check out overlay hinges. They have a 90 degree bend on top so screws mount to side and top surface.

Many marine places have them in SS.

Just an idea.

View attachment 954406 I just did this to mine yesterday. My ARB has a plastic ring around the lid. Very soft plastic...

So the upper part of the hinge failed almost immediately.

I carefully threaded some bigger screws (from my old snowboard bindings...) into the plastic and added some JB Weld. We'll see how that works...

Might have to try some of those little zip-tie moly thingies in there, I don't know.

Less tension on the hinge and everything should be fine, I think.
Well. Yesterday the lid flopped open and all the screws in the sheet metal popped out!

Hey, it lasted exactly a year, that's pretty good. Back to the hardware store.

Well. Yesterday the lid flopped open and all the screws in the sheet metal popped out!

Hey, it lasted exactly a year, that's pretty good. Back to the hardware store.
Just flop the lid so it opens the other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom