ARB Fridge would be cooler if it opened like this. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice, I just ordered all the junk for mine. Thanks for the parts list. very clean looking.

ben

yooper said:
I would have thought you would make it open the other way and put the compressor forward, so you don't have to reach around it.....or do you need access to that end?

he said "reach around"

Nice work!

I just had a thought...would those hinges have enough power to keep the lid open as the cooler comes from OEM? Just curious!

I don't think so, they work ok for this but you have to open the lid about as far as it is in the photo for them to really grab. Plus, they would not fit in the stock position. I am sure there is one that would work, check mcmaster under "friction hinge" and see if there is anything that looks right.

Ok, i installed the new friction hinges tonite and am very happy with the way they turned out.

First of all thanks kevin for breaking the ice on this :beer:

I did it quite similar to his except I used nut zerts for the hinge screws instead of just going into the case. I ended up using the old hinge screws and put some washers under them for strength, they also don't look too bad, I'd rather have the strength personally.

Also I bought the other latch but don't think I'm going to install it, at least not yet. Enjoy the pics and I love that I can now use the fridge one handed. :bounce:

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG

Sweet, :cheers: glad it worked out for ya.

I highly recommend the other latch, at first I though it would not work that well but, as it turns out, I like it FAR better than the OE one. Very easy to operate, no fumbling with the spring loaded one.

Very nice mod and may be just what I need. My Engel will go in the back cargo area and this mod would make the fridge's interior more acessible from front or back. Right now the lid won't fully open as it hits the ceiling.

My Koolatron Arcti-Kool Freezer has side latches from the factory - no mod needed.
arcti-kool-freezer-f-86.jpg

I did it quite similar to his except I used nut zerts for the hinge screws instead of just going into the case. I ended up using the old hinge screws and put some washers under them for strength, they also don't look too bad, I'd rather have the strength personally.

View attachment 83197

Are the nut zerts easy to install, special tools needed? Do you need to dismantle the casing to get those in?

Another cleanly done mod.

You don't have to dismantle anything. Just be careful drilling the holes. It's mostly insulation behind the metal.

You do need a special to install the nutzerts. You can probably get one from mcmaster for pretty cheap though.

I think about this mod about every other time I open my fridge and I really like it when I have the baby in one hand and can get something without the lid falling off and the lid stays open :D

good luck

Great to hear it is still working. I on the other hand never think about this mod, that is just the way I like it :D

On a side/update note, hinge setup is working great and I have since had to dismantle the entire fridge (leaky condenser, all fixed, great customer service) Even if you slip disastrously and drill right through the fridge, you wont hurt anything.
The body is just foam insulation all the way to the inner plastic of the cooler, then there is the 1/4" gap, then the metal cooling tube surround. To damage the fridge you would somehow have to drill through the outer skin, through the foam, through the inner plastic skin, past the gap and into the metal cooling tube housing, and even then you would have to be lucky enough to actually hit one of the few coolant tubes.
if that makes you feel any better.
Happy drilling :cheers:

I am going to do this to my ARB freezer, anything you'd do different now that you've had it modded for a while?

Thanks, I can't stand my fridge lid (love the fridge :bounce:) and I have to do something about it! :D

Still love it enough to try and make it easier on other folks!

I need a couple latches... do you have a good source for them? they're for a 60 qt norcold that's currently latchless...
do you have a good source? would you be willing to share your source or sell just a couple latches?

Yup, Mcmaster-Carr.
I also posted the source info and part numbers back on the first page. The stuff in the kit is a bit different to make it easier, and I have made a template for hole layout, but all the info is there in case anyone wants to put their own stuff together.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom