ARB Fridge would be cooler if it opened like this. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone do this to an Engel? I don't see why you couldn't although the lip profile looks to be different.

Kevin, I just moved my fridge from the rear where it was to the rear left seat area.
I can raise the lid up much higher now and see what is inside, but the lid still hits the ceiling.

When it was on the cargobox though, I could not see inside at all, and I could not raise it up very much.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/103071-few-mods-7-25-06-a-5.html#post3362802

Fridge is much easier to get to now though.
With the addition of your kit you put together, I should be able to raise the lid all the way up now.
I will have to test it by taking the lid off and flipping it up from the side as if the new hinges were in place.

Old location

New location

Anyone do this to an Engel? I don't see why you couldn't although the lip profile looks to be different.
The hard parts should be the same between the two, and the part/construction diagrams between the two are the same. There wont be anything in the way as long as the hinge fits over the Engel edge trim.

Corey said:
Kevin, I just moved my fridge from the rear where it was to the rear left seat area.
I can raise the lid up much higher now and see what is inside, but the lid still hits the ceiling.

When it was on the cargobox though, I could not see inside at all, and I could not raise it up very much.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/1...ml#post3362802

Fridge is much easier to get to now though.
With the addition of your kit you put together, I should be able to raise the lid all the way up now.
I will have to test it by taking the lid off and flipping it up from the side as if the new hinges were in place.
Yup, that is exactly the kind of situation that got me thinking along these lines, flipping the way your lid hinges will make fridge access much better, and the good thing is that this is a reversible mod if you find you want to change it in the future, just save the old hardware.
:cheers:

Just got word from a "genuine" Engel install that the fit is the same as with the ARB.

and here it is

IMG_0337.jpg

Okays its not a cruiser, but the concept is the same

The full story here LoadBay V2

Andy

Great Mod, I'm buying the kit for my Engel, thanks. :)

Mike

Not to skew this thread, but am I the only one that thinks ARB logo's things so extensively that they should pay us to use their equipment :)

Good idea ! I have a engal similar to the ARB, will look into undertaking this mod. Thanks

can you still pull out the wire basket? Asking if the hinges go up to full open to pull the basket out?

Yup, if you have the room to swing the lid, it will flip all the way open.
With the fridge sitting on the floor of my cruiser I used to have to remove the lid to get the basket out. With the new hinge location I can open the lid far enough to pull the basket without moving anything, much better.

any of you think of not using screws ? someof the same hinges with a good epoxy would probly do just as well and no potential fatal to the fridge screw holes either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom