ANYONE WITH STEELIES- BE WARNED! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't put 10.5" tire on a 10" wheel unless you want the Hawaii 4x4 look. The rims will get destroyed while offroad, you want the sidewall to have some bulge and with a 10" wheel it will not.

nl2wps.jpg

Or you know just get 12.5's like everyone else in a 33"

The jj bead is not really designed to hold a wider tyre in, it's just to hold a tubeless bead. The BF is ok because of the triple side ply but why play with fire?

Thanks for all your guys' help. And, miss rosy, sorry about the confusion... so, what rims would people recommend? I'd like to keep the steely look, but I wouldn't totally be against black out rims. I have stock bumpers for right now, but want to get ARB bumpers eventually. I still have the chrome trim, and even have chrome mirrors. Mickey Thompson Challengers would be ideal, but I guess those aren't made anymore either..... these are uncharted waters for me....

Either get the stock wheels widened, or get some 15x8 wheels, or go up to a 16" steel wheel.

Wide tires don't look the part on an older LC, well really not on any vehicle, so we try and fit the tall and narrow tires, which are slowly becoming at thing of the past themselves.

I'm running 33x10.5x15 KM2 on my stock FJ55 wheels, I don't ever really air down, but have been fine for 2 years.

I got this 'won't mount' story from one Discount Tire store, and just went to the other one in town, and they happily sold and mounted the tires, with no lecture. And this was only for 31x10.5s on stock FJ60/2 rims. Is your town large enough to have more than one Discount Tire store?

I'm in Phoenix. I've contacted 3 different Discount stores, all with the same story- they won't mount a 10.5 wide tire on a 6 inch rim. They did say there was an optional 7 inch rim offered for the 62's! I'll go by sometime this week or next and see if I happened to be lucky enough to get a 62 with the wider rims, but I'm not holding my breath....

Don't let my opinion persuade you into not mounting 10.5's on your 7's. Just exercise caution and understand that they're not really designed for it. I had the same internal debate when I was running wheel spacers, in the end I decided I didn't want any additional risk or points of failure.

All said we're just sharing our experiences and there are plenty other blokes here telling you it will be ok and in fairness they're opinion is completely valid.

Discount(or most any shop) is not as fun as it use to be, blame sue happy people and the lawyers who chase them and the government.

in the past I ground down my calipers with their grinder in their shop when fitting new wheels. Now.....they won't even re-balance my tires(bought from them, same as wheels) because they are 11 years old...even with 80% left. Which kinda sucks because I have about 4 rigs with 10+ year old tires that are like new.

as to running them, I run 33x10.5's on the FJ40 hub cap wheels(on a FJ40), which are 5.5" or 6"
the MT works better than the AT on a skinny wheel. If life were perfect I would have 6.5-7" OEM wheels.....but I don't

the steelies are 5.5" and the wagon steelies either chrome or painted white are 6" irrc. i don't think the 60/2s had an option wheel available, just the chrome wagon wheels.

I have a set of chrome steels off my hj61... I'll throw em in with a couple trucks I have coming to the States next week. Excellent condition, will clean up nice. Here are a couple pics

WP_20150513_001.jpg

WP_20150513_002.jpg

Take the wheels off and tell them the tires are going on an old farm trailer you use to haul horse pucky around the ranch. I ran 32/11/50 BFG's on stock steelies for 2 or 3 years at one point with no issues. Optimal? no, but no issues. You could just buy the tires and take them to your local border brother tire shop and tip them a couple of bucks.

I have been running 33x10.50 BFG ATs as my street tires on the stock steel FJ60 rims for years now. I did find a couple of places that would not mount them. I do not wheel with them, I do not air them down. YMMV

It sounds to me like you're talking discount tire into not mounting them....Don't give them so much information...order the tire then take your rig in to have them mounted, don't tell them your rims are so narrow let them decide that.

Go in there like you own the joint.

When it all comes down to it, if BFG put out brochures/tech specs that show that 33X10.50R15s fit rims between 7" and 9", then the tire fitters are going to follow that to the letter. And you can't blame them. They risk copping it both ways if a customer has an issue and lawyers-up; one way from the customer and one way from BFG themselves.

I don't like dealing with lawyers at a business level. They are best avoided and your tire fitters think the same.

I've attached a copy of BFG's brochure.

By the look of them, jbzee's stock chrome steel wheels pictured earlier in the thread look like mine. Mine are 7" and I'm going to move to 33X10.50R15 next tire change on the same wheels. But I will not be airing down. I've been running 31X10.5s on these wheels for 20 years and an engine upgrade calls for longer legs. Jbzee's offer looks good if you don't intend to drop your pressure down. If you do intend to drop the pressure, revisit Crick60's advice yesterday at 1:40pm.

Attachments

• bfgoodrich__all_terrain_brochure.pdf
    462.8 KB · Views: 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom