Anyone running metal valve stems on 40 steelies mounted on your FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had four valve stems leak/break on the 40 steelies mounted on my FJ 60. I am running 33 x 10 50 x 15 BF Goodrich all-terrains. Wondering if there’s a good quality metal valve stem that you all running and recommend? I had the tires mounted at a local Indy shop tire shop. not sure if they got a bad batch of valve stems but I don’t want to get stranded because of this issue.

Thanks!

Did the stems fail where they mount to the wheel? Back when I worked at a tire shop about 25 years ago we'd smear a bit of soapy water on them before pulling them through the wheel and mounting the tire. Helped them slip into place much easier without overly stressing the rubber from pulling/rubbing. We'd also check the valve cores inside because it was common for them to be loose and cause leakage. They're easy to replace if the leak is coming from there.

I like the look of the metal valve stems, but they're usually easier to straight break off if something strikes them (like in my case a 9 y/o boy stepping onto the wheel to hike himself up into the back seat 😂 ), so for practicality purposes the rubber valve stems are still the better option.

Following. I picked up a set of used (but newish) 40 wheels for my 60 earlier this year and had a neighborhood tire shop mount my tires. Same BFG KO2s, 33x10.5x15. One of them is leaking at the valve stem.

The lug nuts are also continually coming loose. I've cleaned all 6 beveled openings for the studs on every wheel - there was some leftover powder coat boogers. I keep the stud threads clean. I torque in the correct pattern up to 95ft-lb of torque. When the shop installed the wheels they slammed them home with an air gun. When I got back home I checked and all the lug nuts were on at north of 130ft-lb. Maybe they wallowed out the bevels on the wheels so 95ft-lb doesn't tighten them down anymore. In any case when I got back and check them every few days, the lugs are often at 40-60ft-lb. Repeatedly bringing them back to 85-95 never stops the issue.

Did the stems fail where they mount to the wheel? Back when I worked at a tire shop about 25 years ago we'd smear a bit of soapy water on them before pulling them through the wheel and mounting the tire. Helped them slip into place much easier without overly stressing the rubber from pulling/rubbing. We'd also check the valve cores inside because it was common for them to be loose and cause leakage. They're easy to replace if the leak is coming from there.

I like the look of the metal valve stems, but they're usually easier to straight break off if something strikes them (like in my case a 9 y/o boy stepping onto the wheel to hike himself up into the back seat 😂 ), so for practicality purposes the rubber valve stems are still the better option.
Thanks for the reply @Spook50 ! When the stems were installed, they did use some soapy water to slide them through. When tires, go flat, valve stems are usually slit.

@meatloaf

Out of curiosity, where/how (clean break because of getting caught on something, developed a split, or just leaking internally) are the questionable valve stems compromised ?

Last edited:
Following. I picked up a set of used (but newish) 40 wheels for my 60 earlier this year and had a neighborhood tire shop mount my tires. Same BFG KO2s, 33x10.5x15. One of them is leaking at the valve stem.

The lug nuts are also continually coming loose. I've cleaned all 6 beveled openings for the studs on every wheel - there was some leftover powder coat boogers. I keep the stud threads clean. I torque in the correct pattern up to 95ft-lb of torque. When the shop installed the wheels they slammed them home with an air gun. When I got back home I checked and all the lug nuts were on at north of 130ft-lb. Maybe they wallowed out the bevels on the wheels so 95ft-lb doesn't tighten them down anymore. In any case when I got back and check them every few days, the lugs are often at 40-60ft-lb. Repeatedly bringing them back to 85-95 never stops the issue.
What type/style lug nuts are you using?

When the shop installed the wheels they slammed them home with an air gun. When I got back home I checked and all the lug nuts were on at north of 130ft-lb.

This is why I will dismount old tire/wheel combination and take them in loose to the shop with the new tires to be mounted. I lost trust in local tire shops years ago because of the idiocy of over torquing lug nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom