Anyone using custom rear axle shafts (Strange, Moser, Diamond, etc...) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
I will be using an early centered rear housing with stuffed with a differential from a 1980 FJ40 with the 3:7 gear set (so it lines up with the NP205 transfer case.) I will need to order 2 new axle shafts with the fine spline to mate up with the 1980 differential and was hoping for some feedback from other MUDders that may be using custom rear axle shafts. What did you buy, have you been happy with them, would you recommend them or another brand?

20200501_222520.jpg

Thanks,
D2

Simple solution would be to used the coarse side gears and spider gears in your carrier with 3.70:1 ring and pinion. Obviously not as strong as custom axles. Would assume with a NP205 you will be running a V8. In that case would depend on how much torque and horse power. The coarse spline axles are getting close to sixty years.

Simple solution would be to used the coarse side gears and spider gears in your carrier with 3.70:1 ring and pinion. Obviously not as strong as custom axles. Would assume with a NP205 you will be running a V8. In that case would depend on how much torque and horse power. The coarse spline axles are getting close to sixty years.
I agree. The course spline should hold up to a v8 on the street and mild offroad. Although if you measure the length of the stock centered axle shaft their may be a off the shelf fine spline available from a different toyota. For example 2 rear fj80 short side shafts may work.

My plan for that housing was to cut the semi float ends off and weld on 80 series full float ends and get rear disk brakes at the same time. Then you can have custom length 80 axle shafts made which will fit in your later 40 series fine spline diff. The fine spline axles are stronger and I would think a better match for your v8 swapped 40. I am not sure who makes custom semi float axles, finding someone who does might be your challenge if you want to keep the semi float ends.

The fine spline axles are stronger and I would think a better match for your v8 swapped 40.

Plenty of three speeds with a coarse tailshaft run behind three speed without a problem. Tons of four speeds with fine spline tailshaft that are worn down. The biggest difference I see it fine spline will wear and even twist in a axle. Coarse spline won't do either. What it will do is snap and leave your stranded. Not a big deal changing inner axles with a C clip. That changes with the axle is snap and short end is stuck in the diff. Have no experience with this but have a feeling coarse end will be easier to get out compared to a fine spline that could be twisted and really inside. Carrying a long rod to drive the broken piece out from the other side pulled and pinion and block removed.

Here's a link on centering a stk Fj40 rearend.

I did this same thing to my 40 rear end probably 15yrs ago when I went to a center rear output T/case. It allowed me to use my 3rd member which had 4.88 gears and a Detroit locker in it, It also eliminates the C clips that hold the 40 axles in. Another plus is both mini truck axles are the same length. I'm pretty sure you can do this with the FJ60 axles using a Tacoma rearend. The job was not that difficult.

Back in the 80's & 90's all my friends I wheel with have jeeps. Later 76 to 80 model CJ's had 2 piece rear axles in their model 20 rear. The axles were really weak and the hub would spin. The standard upgrade was to install an alloy axle kit made by Moser. When the 90's jeep YJ came out, the easiest way to get it ready to trail ride was to add a 4" lift and run 33 or 35" tires, add a lockrite and install Moser alloy axles in the Dana 35. The Dana 35's axles were really weak and C clipped and worthless with larger tires. Back b4 longfields, and short lived marfields, I was breaking stk birfileds when I had a lockrite in the frt. So, I had Moser narrow the long side of jeep waggy dana 44 frt end for my 40 which worked well . They also cut and resplined several full size truck dana 44 axles to fit the housing. A couple of times, I would stop at Moser on my way to FT Wayne, IN. and drop off axles to get cut and splined in the AM and I would pick them up later that day. I've always had good experiences with them

Plenty of three speeds with a coarse tailshaft run behind three speed without a problem. Tons of four speeds with fine spline tailshaft that are worn down. The biggest difference I see it fine spline will wear and even twist in a axle. Coarse spline won't do either. What it will do is snap and leave your stranded. Not a big deal changing inner axles with a C clip. That changes with the axle is snap and short end is stuck in the diff. Have no experience with this but have a feeling coarse end will be easier to get out compared to a fine spline that could be twisted and really inside. Carrying a long rod to drive the broken piece out from the other side pulled and pinion and block removed.

I am not going to argue breaking or the pros and cons of course vs. fine spline axles. I realize people are probably running course axles still with out issue. The truth is you can break both and if you think you will use your cruiser in a way that will result in breaking axles I would suggest finding a way to convert to fine spline axles. Those centered rear axles are not real common anymore (as if they ever were), so if you expect you are going to break the axle continually finding replacements may be tough. I am advocating for building something that one can easily plan to be able to consistently get replacement parts for. If this cruiser is going to be a pavement queen I would be less concerned about breaking the axle, although I am the kind of person that would start trying to locate a spare shaft now though for just incase.

Here's a link on centering a stk Fj40 rearend.

I did this same thing to my 40 rear end probably 15yrs ago when I went to a center rear output T/case. It allowed me to use my 3rd member which had 4.88 gears and a Detroit locker in it, It also eliminates the C clips that hold the 40 axles in. Another plus is both mini truck axles are the same length. I'm pretty sure you can do this with the FJ60 axles using a Tacoma rearend. The job was not that difficult.

Back in the 80's & 90's all my friends I wheel with have jeeps. Later 76 to 80 model CJ's had 2 piece rear axles in their model 20 rear. The axles were really weak and the hub would spin. The standard upgrade was to install an alloy axle kit made by Moser. When the 90's jeep YJ came out, the easiest way to get it ready to trail ride was to add a 4" lift and run 33 or 35" tires, add a lockrite and install Moser alloy axles in the Dana 35. The Dana 35's axles were really weak and C clipped and worthless with larger tires. Back b4 longfields, and short lived marfields, I was breaking stk birfileds when I had a lockrite in the frt. So, I had Moser narrow the long side of jeep waggy dana 44 frt end for my 40 which worked well . They also cut and resplined several full size truck dana 44 axles to fit the housing. A couple of times, I would stop at Moser on my way to FT Wayne, IN. and drop off axles to get cut and splined in the AM and I would pick them up later that day. I've always had good experiences with them

Learn something new every day. I had not seen that FJ40/Minitruck hybrid build before. Cool!

Last edited:
To actually answer the @Drake2 question unlike everyone else any of the custom axle companies will make you whatever you want, Strange, Moser, Dutchman, Branik, etc, they are all quality options

For semifloat Cruiser axles make sure they're hardened properly on the bearing surface that was the big problem with the old Poly Performance chromo 40/60 semifloat axles

To actually answer the @Drake2 question unlike everyone else any of the custom axle companies will make you whatever you want, Strange, Moser, Dutchman, Branik, etc, they are all quality options

For semifloat Cruiser axles make sure they're hardened properly on the bearing surface that was the big problem with the old Poly Performance chromo 40/60 semifloat axles
Good info, thank you. I am expecting a call from Strange next week so I will address that issue. I appreciate all the info and replies from everyone @Tank5 , @White Stripe , @pb4ugo , @Living in the Past @cruisermatt

This could be an option
Called Ruff Stuff today looking for details on installation and was told "there are no instructions". I said how do I know where to cut the axle housing, they said "I'm not really sure". I was like ok, well maybe you can run my question by someone else and get back to me. I do hope they will get back to me with some good info because I like the looks and idea of the product. So far, the lack of product knowledge and level of customer service is not doing well for them. I will update this post appropriately based on the response or lack of a response.

Called Ruff Stuff today looking for details on installation and was told "there are no instructions". I said how do I know where to cut the axle housing, they said "I'm not really sure". I was like ok, well maybe you can run my question by someone else and get back to me. I do hope they will get back to me with some good info because I like the looks and idea of the product. So far, the lack of product knowledge and level of customer service is not doing well for them. I will update this post appropriately based on the response or lack of a response.

That is a bummer. Maybe try calling back to see if you get someone else to answer the phone. I called them multiple times regarding the set up of my hellfire knuckles and steering setup and they were always supper helpful, except one time when I got someone who didn't seem to know much about my question. I assumed they were new or having an off day. Overall I have had good experiences with their customer service.

I think most of the guys there are not Toyota guys and on top of that very few are building axles using those flanges these days, I'd bet

When I called, I think I spoke with Stephen. All he could say was "I really don't know". When I said "can't you ask someone else" he said yeah, there's a couple guys here that are "Toyota" guys. My question is why did I have to ask him to ask someone else.....he should have said "I don't know, but let me find out for you". In general customer service sucks these days. On top of that I never received a call back :poop:

When I called, I think I spoke with Stephen. All he could say was "I really don't know". When I said "can you ask someone else" he said yeah, there's a couple guys here that are "Toyota" guys. My question is why did I have to ask him to ask someone else.....he should have said "I don't know, but let me find out for you". In general customer service sucks these days. On top of that I never received a call back :poop:

Ruffstuff usually has great customer service and the owner @Dan Fredrickson is a 40 guy. I think you just got unlucky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom