Anyone seen this 81 FJ40 and thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s had a full frame off restoration including engine rebuild. I know these SA trucks are getting a bad rap and understandably so, but I don’t think they are all bad. Perhaps I’m wrong

there maybe a needle in the haystack out there, it is your money, do you want to chance it?
no emisions and no heater

Look at Marks wall of shame thread and see what he is dealing with.
page 10 or 11

Ugh. This one was restored down in South Florida and I have restoration pics. Is the issue with SA 40’s the fact they are restored in SA and the restoration jobs are crap? Dealer seems reputable and they said they have gotten over 20 restored from this same shop and never an issue.

Ugh. This one was restored down in South Florida and I have restoration pics. Is the issue with SA 40’s the fact they are restored in SA and the restoration jobs are crap? Dealer seems reputable and they said they have gotten over 20 restored from this same shop and never an issue.

what else do you think they would say, the last 5 we got from these guys were total crap??
again it's your money.
if what they say is accurate, then they would have no issue with giving you the names/referrals from the last 5 buyers of similar rigs.

Would have not had a roll bar and the one they used would be earlier than 77. The side arm radius is wrong if you install a hard top with pop out vent windows. The sliding style windows will not clear a roll bar. You would need to either live with solid side windows or have to make a custom roll bar like it appears they did to fit these not roll bar jump seats. They list mileage at 1,000 mile when odometer shows 182K+ miles.

It's not just how they are restored in SA but how they were used before the restore. Ask for a bunch of detail pictures of what they started. Also if the rear part of the tub was replaced good chance a hard top might not fit. I notice now being a US imported FJ40 matters in the pricing. Would not call this one from SA being a good investment at this price.

182K is in Kilometers

As a non-US vehicle it is past the 25 year import restrictions but it will not pass emissions requirements in some parts of the country as it has no emission controls present. Check your local laws ahead of time.

It would be a bitch to buy it and then find out you can't plate it.

It could be fine, it could be lipstick on a pig. At that price, there’s no way I’d roll the dice unless I was going to head to the seller and inspect it personally with a fine-toothed comb.

As others have said, as a South American truck it’s not an investment, you’ll never get this kind of money back out of it even if it is perfect.

If it’s worth it to you as a good driver, it might be worth it, but again, I wouldn’t part with that kind of money without an in-person inspection and, if available, references to other folks who have had trucks restored by the shop in question.

Well if they say there’s never been an issue than you should definitely trust them.

@jtm

To my knowledge all the Fj Company trucks are restored in Colombia and are very very well restored. Of course it's in a different price level but quality works can certainly be done in SA.

Buy a nice one with LN or buy a nice FJ43, they are soo much fun

:cheers:

Last edited:
@jtm

To my knowledge all the Fj Company trucks are restored in Colombia and are very very well restored. Of course it's in a different price level but quality works can certainly be done in SA.

Just to clarify that this is not one of our vehicles. Thanks!

is the above statement true? I thought all the resto work was done in the states.

is the above statement true? I thought all the resto work was done in the states.
Yep, the production side happens in Bogota. Wholly owned facility, nothing outsourced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom