Anyone install srob lights on their 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone install strobe lights on their 80?

One of our fleet accounts had us dismantle a bunch of security vehicles for resale and I ended up with a ton of Whelen strobe lights and controllers :cool:

Most of which are headed for Craigslist, but I figured I'd install a set on the Cruiser just for kicks ;)

They're all Whelen CSP690's (6 bulb, 90watt), so I figure I'd install 4 bulbs out back (2 behind the clear reverse lenses and 2 behind the red brake lenses), but for the front, I have a choice of either using the amber marker lamps or the clear headlights :hmm:

The markers would be a simple install cause it's plastic, but I'm not sure how I'd do the headlamps cause i don't think it's plastic (feels more ceramic than anything) :confused:

Has anyone done this before?

Rick

Last edited:
Yes on a GMC Typhoon. And on a trip to Las Vegas what started out as what should have been a fix it ticket turned into a threat of impersonating a Police Office/Emergency Vehicle. I was the passenger telling the German expatriate owner to shut the hell up and stop talking.

He used the strobes on the 15 to get people out of the fast lane. Worked really really well. Too well. :p

BTW he drilled into the light housing to install. You couldn't tell they were there unless you knew what to look for.

I haven't, but I'd like to. How much are you asking for sets?

Yes on a GMC Typhoon. And on a trip to Las Vegas what started out as what should have been a fix it ticket turned into a threat of impersonating a Police Office/Emergency Vehicle. I was the passenger telling the German expatriate owner to shut the hell up and stop talking.

He used the strobes on the 15 to get people out of the fast lane. Worked really really well. Too well. :p

BTW he drilled into the light housing to install. You couldn't tell they were there unless you knew what to look for.

LOL

Well, I don't plan on pulling anyone over ;)

I do use my rig as a work vehicle, so they would definitely come in handy when out in the field cause I usually have all my roof lights running constantly on job sites :doh:

These came out of Chevy TrailBlazers and had the strobe bulbs installed in each light housing (nice and neat)

Thing is, all of the light housings are plastic, so they're easy to drill into....

I don't think it will be that simple for an 80 OEM headlight cause it's all glass :doh:

I haven't, but I'd like to. How much are you asking for sets?

I'm actually not sure yet :hmm:

The fleet company had us replace ALL of the headlight and taillight assemblies with brand new units, which means we have about 27 complete sets of TB lights with the bulbs already installed, so I'll probably hit the blazer forums first, but we'll see how it goes from there :meh:

Haha that awesome! I can see where the law enforcement wouldn't like that very much though.

They do not like them in cali because people were using them to trip the emergency optical traffic signal detectors to get a green light. They are however a certain frequency but I thought many states were oulawing them for this reason.

At least in OR, it's illegal to use them on the road but it is not illegal to have them.

That can be said for a lot of things on my vehicles ;)

YouTube - Flamethrower Exhaust

YouTube - HORNBLASTING GONE WIRELESS!!

Anyhoo, today I found out the headlights had a plastic base instead of glass like I orginally thought :doh:

So I pulled it all and installed the bulbs :cool:

whelenstrobeinstall.JPG

whelenstrobeinstall2.JPG

whelenstrobeinstall3.JPG

whelenstrobeinstall4.JPG

whelenstrobeinstall5.JPG

whelenstrobeinstall6.JPG

whelenstrobeinstall7.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwDXRi1KJrE

I'll get started on the wiring tomorrow :)

I seriously want one of those sets...

+1 on that! :popcorn: Be a good safety feature on the high speed dirt roads where bunch of dust gets kicked up traveling in a pack and its hard to see all the rigs.

Lights are cool but...

How'd you get your winch in a stock bumper??? Did you do a writeup i could check out? Looks killer:clap:

Nevermind, i found it. Search is my friend again.

You know you might want to upgrade those puny stock horns to something like the hella's so someone can hear you if you honk. I heard some guys mount train horns on their roof racks if you want to go crazy. You strike me as a go crazy guy. :D

In CA I can see the PoPo giving you a bad time about this on public roads. Remember in the USA anyway, Red is designated for emergency vehicles only, and Blue is for Police only. Amber / Yellow is ussually for construction vehicles, but still I can see the PoPo giving you a bad time cruising down the road using these...

I saw some FJ's at SurfnTurf using them one in front and one it back they said for foggy or night wheelin so they could see each other. Of course they were using them 20 feet away from each other. It does seem to have it's purpose for wheelin' though.

They do not like them in cali because people were using them to trip the emergency optical traffic signal detectors to get a green light. They are however a certain frequency but I thought many states were oulawing them for this reason.

You're talking about Opticom lights, and there is a certain 'pattern' to the strobe. These are definatelly illegal for joe citizen to use on public roads. There was a dude in the bay area busted for this. Now that 'the man' has so called traffic camera's at practically all traffic lights they nabbed him pretty quick. Pretty slick, he had some white full size truck and had it stashed behind the grill.

I don't know about NY or FL but I can't imagine their laws being too different from CA. Here are things that I believe to be illegal for any vehicle, emergency or otherwise:

• Flashing white/clear lighting while a vehicle is stopped
  • Flashing white/clear lighting on the rear of a vehicle ever
And illegal for non-emergency vehicles:
  • Flashing any color light other than amber
While I am not certain, I believe that the only place you might find exception to this would be on private property, not on any public roads or lands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom