Anyone install srob lights on their 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have strobes in my rear taillights, in addition to single strobes on the roof. I use these when parked on old roads and forest roads when doing our historical research projects, not on the highway. Although, if I'm stopped along the highway, I'll leave them on. But all lights are amber and it's legal. Nobody gives me a hard time, because it's pretty clear we're doing legit business, not just screwing around.

For the rear strobes, I did something a little different. The strobe bulbs are white, so I put them in the amber turn signals. Because the strobes give off a lot of heat and I've seen at least one police truck catch on fire due to a strobe overheating, I have the strobe in place of the actual turn signal light bulb.

Then I wired a duel filament light amber light bulb in the back up light socket. That allows me to have an amber turn signal, but also have the rear back up lights come on from the same socket. The only reason I care about having rear back up lights is because most driver's look for them and it's the only way they know you're actually backing up.

Anyway, if you can make sure you keep a few spare bulbs. These have a tendency to sometimes burn out.

I have strobes in my rear taillights, in addition to single strobes on the roof. I use these when parked on old roads and forest roads when doing our historical research projects, not on the highway. Although, if I'm stopped along the highway, I'll leave them on. But all lights are amber and it's legal. Nobody gives me a hard time, because it's pretty clear we're doing legit business, not just screwing around.

For the rear strobes, I did something a little different. The strobe bulbs are white, so I put them in the amber turn signals. Because the strobes give off a lot of heat and I've seen at least one police truck catch on fire due to a strobe overheating, I have the strobe in place of the actual turn signal light bulb.

Then I wired a duel filament light amber light bulb in the back up light socket. That allows me to have an amber turn signal, but also have the rear back up lights come on from the same socket. The only reason I care about having rear back up lights is because most driver's look for them and it's the only way they know you're actually backing up.

Anyway, if you can make sure you keep a few spare bulbs. These have a tendency to sometimes burn out.

What brand do you use?
I saw what you said about using your truck and fuel and miles from no place. I did not think you was talking about the USA. Sounds more like where I use my 80 in Cambodia and surrounding country's.

I dont have any problems using strubes in Cambodia . I would like to have the rears come on with the brake lights but only for the 1st few seconds of applying the brakes then go off. I need some ideas on doing this ???

Brian

How'd you get your winch in a stock bumper??? Did you do a writeup i could check out? Looks killer:clap:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/239283-witch-wench-wood-you-choose-post3627563.html

You know you might want to upgrade those puny stock horns to something like the hella's so someone can hear you if you honk. I heard some guys mount train horns on their roof racks if you want to go crazy. You strike me as a go crazy guy.

I'm as crazy as they come :grinpimp:

Thinking about adding a ship horn to my utility traler :hmm:

In CA I can see the PoPo giving you a bad time about this on public roads. Remember in the USA anyway, Red is designated for emergency vehicles only, and Blue is for Police only. Amber / Yellow is ussually for construction vehicles, but still I can see the PoPo giving you a bad time cruising down the road using these...

Good thing I don't live in commiefornia ;)

Out here, red is fine as long as it's not in front...

Blue is a no no unless you have a badge :doh:

Amber is good all over and so is white (our flatbed has an amber and white flashing/rotating lightbar)

In FL, you're not allowed to have moving lights and the way they define moving lights is kinda funny cause the lights they're referring to don't actually move :confused:

That law was made when they banned the old license plate frames that had blinking LED's that flashed a pattern as if there was a light moving around the plate :meh: (you know the kind)

That being said, I don't plan on putting any of those rules to the test and only plan on using this off-road or on the side of the highway when working on other vehicles :cool:

Last thing I need is to get jailed over this, especially since that one girl got charged and sent to jail for having Cobra eyes on the hood of her car :eek:

In CA I can see the PoPo giving you a bad time about this on public roads. Remember in the USA anyway, Red is designated for emergency vehicles only, and Blue is for Police only. Amber / Yellow is ussually for construction vehicles, but still I can see the PoPo giving you a bad time cruising down the road using these...

Bedliner :cool:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/226546-got-bored-so-i-bedlined-bumpers-grille.html

What model roof rack it that? And does it ship in parts or come full size? I need to take in on a airplane.

Couple of threads

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/143274-roof-racks-wind-noise-oh-joy.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/155089-rack-build-update-pix-post2158465.html

Anyhoo, I finished mounting the box, running all the wires and mounting the switches :cool:

whelenstrobesinstalled.JPG

whelenstrobesinstalled2.JPG

whelenstrobesinstalled3.JPG

whelenstrobesinstalled4.JPG

whelenstrobesinstalled5.JPG

I wanted the switches within easy reach, but didn't want them to be an eyesore, so I put them right behind the gearshift under the hand brake...

whelenstrobesinstalled6.JPG

whelenstrobesinstalled7.JPG

whelenstrobesinstalled8.JPG

whelenstrobesinstalled9.JPG

Main switch turns them on and the little momentary button changes the flash pattern...

Anyhoo, here's a short video I put together...

YouTube - WHELEN CSP 690 Strobes Installed

I like it. When you figure out how you're going to sell these, please post 'em up on mud:grinpimp:

Where did you get the switches on your center console? They look really nice.

Andres,

Those are the replacement switches that are being sold for our trucks -- I got mine with a 4Runner fog light setup but like Snake says you can purchase through any of the vendors. They essentially have two main OEM style switches available.

Snake,

Another cool mod and nice write-up -- just need to finish!!! I also would beinterested in a set when/if you get around to selling these. Shoot me a PM with details.

Glen

SNAKE EATER...you my friend...are one of the few folks here that make me feel inferior in the mod dept. :flipoff2:

The strobes look great...very nice install.

How did you get your hands on those air horns? The company website says they are only available to fleet operators and locomotive builders.

I saw you post what is and is not allowed in your area. Where are you located?

I still want some... Not planning on using them on a public road, but I do volunteer work for ODF that requres my truck stopped on logging roads and trails. These would be a nice way to get attention.

I also would beinterested in a set when/if you get around to selling these. Shoot me a PM with details.

Glen

Since the kits are complete with TrailBlazer headlights/taillights, I'm actually gunna hit up the TrailBlazer forums first to see if I can sell them as complete sets, but if I end up separating them, I'll letcha know :cool:

SNAKE EATER...you my friend...are one of the few folks here that make me feel inferior in the mod dept. :flipoff2:

Now there's no way I can compete with your jumper cables and you know it :flipoff2:

The strobes look great...very nice install.

How did you get your hands on those air horns? The company website says they are only available to fleet operators and locomotive builders.

I saw you post what is and is not allowed in your area. Where are you located?

I get mine from an old collector in SC :cool:

I live in NYC, but travel back and forth to Orlando every 2-3 weeks because our shop is down there :doh:

In any case, they're not illegal to have, but just like regular horns, they're illegal to use in a non emergency situation :meh:

What brand do you use?
I saw what you said about using your truck and fuel and miles from no place. I did not think you was talking about the USA. Sounds more like where I use my 80 in Cambodia and surrounding country's.

I dont have any problems using strubes in Cambodia . I would like to have the rears come on with the brake lights but only for the 1st few seconds of applying the brakes then go off. I need some ideas on doing this ???

Brian

My strobes are a kit from Wheelen Engineering. Wheelen is a pretty coming emergency lights and equipment company here in the states.

As far as for braking, what you might do is wiring in a set of flashing LED lights. Red or amber and mount them somewhere. Maybe in place of the high brake light or get a high brake light if you don't have one and wire it so that it flashes when you use the brakes. The LEDs usually aren't as bright or obnoxious, but will still get people's attention behind you.

Snake...what kind of horn is that? Sounds just like the horn on the EMD SW8 I run about once a week on a railroad I volunteer for in my spare time.

Last edited:
How'd you get your winch in a stock bumper??? Did you do a writeup i could check out? Looks killer:clap:

Nevermind, i found it. Search is my friend again.

Search is not my friend I could not find it can you post a link to his write up or some ones I going to do a factory winch in my US spec 80 , I will look around the junk yards in Cambodia for a factory one lots of 80's here from all over the world.

Any thoughts on a portable electric winch I could just hook with a chain to the front or rear tow hooks?

Thanks
Brian
Heading back to my now home Cambodia march 1st for a little while

I am planning on doin this mod this week. Howerver I ordered the Wheelen 4 head unit, not the 6 head unit, which looks like you used. What lenses would you recomend that I put the strobe heads in? For example, should i put them in the red part of the tail lights of the turn signal (orange part)? For the front i was thinking the corner lights. Or would the actual headlight be better?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

I am planning on doin this mod this week. Howerver I ordered the Wheelen 4 head unit, not the 6 head unit, which looks like you used. What lenses would you recomend that I put the strobe heads in? For example, should i put them in the red part of the tail lights of the turn signal (orange part)? For the front i was thinking the corner lights. Or would the actual headlight be better?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

I used the red part of the taillights because there was much more room for the strobe bulbs.

If I had to choose between the front markers and the headlights, I would do the markers.

Much easier and more visible when you have your headlights on.

Since the kits are complete with TrailBlazer headlights/taillights, I'm actually gunna hit up the TrailBlazer forums first to see if I can sell them as complete sets, but if I end up separating them, I'll letcha know :cool:

Those trailblazer guys are so backwoods they would probably buy the headlights/taillights with the strobes removed with big holes in the assembly and then you can sell us the strobes and flasher units:hillbilly:

I used the red part of the taillights because there was much more room for the strobe bulbs.

If I had to choose between the front markers and the headlights, I would do the markers.

Much easier and more visible when you have your headlights on.

Thanks! thats what i figured. Any other tips or tricks you can pass along? :)

So what is the latest on selling these for the 80's community? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom