Anyone go from a 200 back to a 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I previously owned a gray 2006 LX. I sold it last year with 216K. It was super clean. I bought a 2018 blue onyx LC earlier this year with 74K as a certified vehicle from a Toyota dealer - it's a great vehicle. There's just something about the 100 that I miss. I'm assuming that I'm in the minority, but it has not been the seismic leap in enjoyment that many posters have raved about (i.e. others that went from a 100 to a 200). So, I'm curious if there are others that bought a 200 and went back to a 100. Any regrets? Thoughts?

I have both a 100 and 200 in my driveway. If I had to let one go, it would be the 200.

I've been eyeing 200s, but only because the lack of power in the 100 is getting pretty old, and since there isn't a new Cruiser worth having coming out here. Imo the interior materials are better in the 100 with a lot less hard plastic.

My suspicion is that it'll be very difficult to be OK driving a 4.7 again after spending much time with the 5.7. I'm pretty sure I would hate it.

Tell me more. Nostalgia? Cost to own? Something else?
Nuances. The 200 has more of a floating sensation when behind the wheel. The HVAC system actually induces rage from my wife due to the lack of a simple fan speed button. The range is terrible, and unlike the 100 a larger replacement fuel tank is not available. The interior rattles as much as my 100 with 3x the miles. The door panels are exceptionally thick and both my wife and I manage to kick the speaker when exiting the vehicle. I really dislike the cartridge oil filter setup, but that is nitpicky. The cooled seat function is great, but they are no replacement for the crotch vent. There is also something about the 200 seats that causes me back discomfort when behind the wheel for 6 or more hours. The HVAC recirculate door was broke by Toyota right after purchase and they refused to fix it, so I have to manually flip it during the winter to keep the windows from fogging up.

That said, the 200 really has been quite reliable for the past 50k miles. It does like to go through brake rotors for some reason. The 100 is way more of a maintenance whore.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing 200s, but only because the lack of power in the 100 is getting pretty old, and since there isn't a new Cruiser worth having coming out here. Imo the interior materials are better in the 100 with a lot less hard plastic.

My suspicion is that it'll be very difficult to be OK driving a 4.7 again after spending much time with the 5.7. I'm pretty sure I would hate it.
I've got the 5.7 in my Limited work Tundra, it's nice but it's not enough to keep me from driving my LX whenever possible.

Despite the obvious differences in power and torque numbers, when I drove them on same days, same roads and highways, I feel that the 06/07 Hundy (5 speed and extra hp from vvti) feels almost the same as the 200 series, speed- and power-wise. Unless you drag race them, or do 85+ mph, the difference is not that noticeable. I don't do towing though.

When offroading, the 100 series feels more "connected" to the terrain and less risky compared to 200 series. The 200 series is too insulated from the environment and hard to tell exactly where the wheels are in gnarly conditions...

Also, the 200 series is wider by quite a bit, bad enough that I almost got it stuck in a Starbucks drive through 😂 You almost have to fold both mirrors to pass through... Oh, and I don't get it why the 200 series don't have the adjustable arm-rest anymore. That's one of the best features for road trips, combined with the perfect width of 100 series so I can rest my left elbow on the door panel and right elbow on the arm-rest :D

Last edited:
You can see in my sig. I had 470, loved it and that was a reason to get one of the last 570 because of v8.
I didn’t start to drive faster :) Its different. I like it a lot for refinement in interior, sound insulation, space and comfort.

Just got another 470. It’s for my kid, but who do we lie to :) I kind of wanted one too. Driving it home 350 miles after 2 years with 570 my observations were same. I can park 470 just as well as 570, but without 360 camera :) Definitely more nimble and less floaty.

Would I go back strictly to 470? No, but I like to have one. And I know I will like to drive it

From a GCC 2005 1HDFTE 100 with AHC to a 2012 (Mark 2) 200 series 1VD twin turbo full ARB build BP51 with LRA main tank replacement all bells & whistles and now back to 2006 LX with AHC.
No regrets, knew what to expect. Love the dynamic suspension vs static even if it was BP51 on the 200. Wife is just always asking me when will I upgrade the antiquated LCD screen/nav.

Wife is just always asking me when will I upgrade the antiquated LCD screen/nav.
Man mine gave me stick when I first had the T'eyes CC3 installed :) - that being said WAF # is much higher now that when she gets in, wireless AA works for her.

# WAF - Wife Approval Factor. A huge factor in my ability to keep the mighty hunjy...

Man mine gave me stick when I first had the T'eyes CC3 installed :) - that being said WAF # is much higher now that when she gets in, wireless AA works for her.

# WAF - Wife Approval Factor. A huge factor in my ability to keep the mighty hunjy...
Been eye balling that for a while now. Definitely on top of my list. Thanks for your recommendation.

We were initially in the market for either a 100 or 200, but my *wife* ruled out the 200 for being too floaty and disconnected during her test drive. Sounds like the same experience you're talking about, @newbielx470. She likes the 100, especially with the option to tighten up the AVS. I'm just glad she's OK with an 18-year old truck! For both of us, it's about the biggest we would want given parking and the trails we drive. I think there's a solid argument that the 100-series dimensions are perfect.

You can see in my sig. I had 470, loved it and that was a reason to get one of the last 570 because of v8.
I didn’t start to drive faster :) Its different. I like it a lot for refinement in interior, sound insulation, space and comfort.

Just got another 470. It’s for my kid, but who do we lie to :) I kind of wanted one too. Driving it home 350 miles after 2 years with 570 my observations were same. I can park 470 just as well as 570, but without 360 camera :) Definitely more nimble and less floaty.

Would I go back strictly to 470? No, but I like to have one. And I know I will like to drive it
I feel somewhat the same between my 99 LX, and 06 LX. I’ve test driven the 200 series multiple times, 2014-2021, and tried to convince myself that it’s “better”, but for the moment, I prefer my old 100-series. If one of my 100 series were totaled, I might replace it with a 200 (or 300) series, but there will be some whining.

Yeah, I can see that. I really loved my 100. It was a little better than my 80 for long distances but not quite as capable offroad - but not by too much if you stick to BLM trails, forest roads, etc.. My wife's 200 is an amazing vehicle and better than my old 100 for long distances but I don't want to take it offroad like I did my 100. I loved that I could scratch it up, get it dirty, camp out of it, haul stuff, whatever.

Now with my 80 (imported diesel RHD) it's almost passing into the realm of "classic" and I'm putting too much work into restoring it so I don't want to get it banged up either! haha I'll camp and offroad in it but I wouldn't want to take a load to the dump or pick up bags of mulch or whatever now that I've spent so much time cleaning the carpets and redoing the interior.

My wife might give me her 200 in the next year or two if she moves onto an LX600 or maybe a GX550 but I'm going through potential builds in my mind and I'm not sure what direction I would take the 200. As much as I hate to say it I might keep it real mild. It's comfy, big and powerful but that comes with drawbacks. It's a large vehicle. I wouldn't say it's bad offroad, I've taken it to Moab and the mountains, but you feel the size on the trails. 100s are big enough.

Having said that I do love the 5.7. Would be so fun to supercharge it.

I'll get back into a 100 in the next 5-6 years, probably diesel. But yeah there's something nice about the 100 as a rugged, do it all cruiser.

ElQVKfi.jpg

akdGbYY.jpg

rxu5I24.jpg

The LX570 still has AHC? What about the latest LX Series? I've got a 470 and I just adore the AHC

Speaking of WAF…. My wife can’t stand the look of a 200 series. Says they look like all other rounded unimpressive Montero type SUVs. I am not impressed with the looks unless they’ve been modded a bit. Never driven one, however.

We both love the Hundys. I have and have had several 80s. Love them as the beasts they are but like them better the newer they are. To me, the Hundys solved the oil leak issues and brake wear issues 80s have over time.

We’re aways looking for another OneHundy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom